Stock Exhaust decat mod

burnt_toast

Reaction score
Visit site
So I've seen aftermarket decat mid pipes for sale, and have read mostly positive results about them.

But has anyone tried to just gut and decat the stock catted midpipe?? it looks very easily doable, yet not much discussed. search isnt showing up any results either.

anybody?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If your still using the stock muffler, you likely won't hear any difference.

Cat delete mid pipes are fairly cheap, FinalImpact cut his out and put a straight pipe in it's place.

But no, I haven't read anyone gutting a mid-pipe. Don't see why you couldn't, but I'd think a "true" straight
thru pipe would work better than a cat pipe that expands and then contracts again (even gutted).

burnt_toast

Reaction score
Visit site
Found his post, but the photobucket pics are dead. Decided this is the route I'm going to go too, hack up stock midpipe and weld in a straight section.

Sourced some 1-3/4" straight exhaust pipe @Orielly's for $7bucks, and got a deal on a nice alum handle hacksaw for $10bucks [MENTION=14769]Lowe[/MENTION]s.

Comparable delkevic catless pipe is $130bucks, so we'll see how far I come out ahead :p

burnt_toast

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's some updates and progress.

20170823_182630.jpg
hacked apart!

20170823_185145.jpg
dummy test fit

20170826_172020.jpg
welded up at muffler shop! cost = $25bones

20170826_172110.jpg
Flow comparison :p

20170826_1721102.jpg
Test fit, post welded. successful

20170827_183515.jpg
A few coats of high temp silver and clear

Should have fitted up and installed tonight! will report back results 8)

tom_nuke

Reaction score
Visit site
Eagerly awaiting post install results :D

Do you have stock exhaust? Curious how this will work for this of us still running stock cans. Also curious if this mod will reduce the amount of heat coming off the cat and directly into my legs and ass :)

burnt_toast

Reaction score
Visit site
Everything re-installed last night with no issue. Yes, currently running stock exhaust rear section.

Results:
Overall pretty solid gains, especially in the midrange 6k rpm or so, on up. Butt dyno agrees, a few ponies gained. Some improvement in throttle response too, but hiccup from instant throttle twist still there. This seems to be more stock-fueling related, and pretty typical for all early gen FZ6's from what I had always read in reviews and experienced personally with this bike. Sound is virtually the same at idle, startup and low revs. Increases just slightly in midrange and up, over stock.

Have not temp checked the area, but built up heat in area should be down considerably. Had the thought to header wrap the area instead/or in addition to paint too. Would be route I'd recommend if the cat heat was bothering you too much..

Seems like this mod + some better fuel mapping would be the winning ticket, for max gains. But for a total of $42 and an hour here or there, this was a fun mod to try.

PS. for anyone that might have issue with cutting cat.. my baseline for this mod was my previous bike, a 04 Honda 599 which had NO cat and that bike ran great. A 600 i4 is inherently tuned well from environmental aspect and even catless I'd argue is cleaner than most 4wheel cages and the like. Ultimately this mod is totally up to the digression of owner, and what you feel comfortable with. I leave it at that, with NO endorsement to follow my path but leave the info and pics as food for thought. If you choose to copy, DO your own research 1st!!

cheers

mgdaubo

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice job :)
I am just curious what is inside the can in your 4th pic? On mine this can is missing.
Thank you.