Stock muffler drilling VS. performance

rkrone

Reaction score
Visit site
For all you people out there who drilled your stock exhaust---did you notice any performance changes? I drilled my stock exhaust with 3/4 holes, and while the sound did change for the better, I have the strange feeling I lost some performance...just wondering if it's just my imagination playing tricks on me. (the rest of the bike is stock)

Performace from drilling alone - No
Sound - Mild change
(Air box mod will also do mild change)

Marcin

Reaction score
Visit site
For me drill changes the sound what results in pushing the throttle a bit harder while riding. And this leads to feeling that bike runs better.
But the truth is IF there is any impact on the performance, it is so little that most of us won't notice it while normal riding. Honestly, how often do You guys use all the bike's power? Especially at the city rides?

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
For me drill changes the sound what results in pushing the throttle a bit harder while riding. And this leads to feeling that bike runs better.
But the truth is IF there is any impact on the performance, it is so little that most of us won't notice it while normal riding. Honestly, how often do You guys use all the bike's power? Especially at the city rides?
Lol for me, it was and is everyday but that's why I break stuff. But yeah drilling won't change the performance its all for the sound

bcmaxx

Reaction score
Visit site
I drilled my exhaust and i wish i hadnt. Hugely regrets. So much that i fast tracked a set of delks . Sounded less like a bike . More like a vespa scooter down lower rpm. Now its just all sorts of load haha.

vr46fan

Reaction score
www.facebook.com
Instead of drilling mine, I used a punch to knocks holes in it. While it sounded better, I wanted more. I happened to have a long pry bar that fit in the outlet. I stuck it in there and hammered some more, being very careful in the rh side hole not to mess up the muffler inlet. At idle it makes a little deeper still, but riding it definitely helps the sounds. I have no idea what it sounds like off the bike, but on it, it definitely helps. When I first started it and it warmed up, it idled at 1000. Riding it a bit and idle speed is normal again. I also just put a new air filter on, so that also may have affected that.