Strange Noise!

No no warning at all, i had been riding it that morning and was just fine. came out later that day and was warming it up when i heard it start knocking.

But i got a call yesterday, Dealer said it will be done by Sat, maybe even this evening!:rockon: which is good because im having riding withdrawals:eek:

That was the bad news, Now the good news. All the parts have been ordered, and will be here within 5 days. so hopefully i will have my baby back by next Sat. and its all FREE i love warranties!!:D
Say, what extended warranty do you have? Is it the Yamaha YES one or do you have some other? At any rate, it certainly PAID OFF in your case! I wonder how much the shop would have charged you if not covered.

I have the Yamaha extended warranty, and as for how much i would have cost me had i not had the warranty. rough estimate is in the neighborhood of about $2k give or take a few hundred. :eek:

I have the Yamaha extended warranty, and as for how much i would have cost me had i not had the warranty. rough estimate is in the neighborhood of about $2k give or take a few hundred. :eek:
Gulp. I bought an after market warranty and was considering recinding it (option if done before manufacturer warranty expires) but after reading yours and another post....maybe not. By the way, I've been reading about frame cracking problems on the FZ1. Wow! Evidently, our frame is not problem prone. Seriously, go to the other forum and you'll see that frame cracking seems to be a FZ1 problem. Wow!

Well its been about a month and a half, and they are finally done with with my bike, they had it back together this evaning, and will to some warm ups and test ride tomorrow, i get to pick it up a noon! Geeze this whole ordeal has had me pissed off:spank:

well Im fed up now, i called yamaha at noon as i was told, yesterday they got my bike put together and were going to do heat tests and ride it this morning. when i called they said that when they started it it still had the same knock. they are keeping it there, tearing the bottom and topend apart basiclly rebuilding the entire engine. I have had enough if they cant find what is causing the noise in a week then i am going to take the trade in value and they will find an 07 at another dealer and have it shipped here. They have an 08 on the floor, the diffrence would be $2000 if i wanted to buy that one.

Ok so my dealer called in a Yamaha Technician to look at my bike. They have taken the entire engine apart, i went to see the progress and they had the entire engine lying on the work bench in pieces :eek: They have checked everything, Crank, rods, pistons, valves, all bearings, and wrist pins.

The Verdict is in, and No one has a clue why its knocking, everything looks new and is within specs, so it looks like they will be putting it back together and giving it back to me.

I have mixed emotions about it all, since they have been through the entire engine and trans. i dont see any reason why i would have any problems with it, but i feel there has to be something causing it to knock so...:confused:

Also had the bike not been under warranty the bill so far would be close to $3500 :eek: So if you were thinking of skipping on the extended warranty take it from me the extra 3 or 4 hundred is alot cheaper than the 3 or 4 thousand.

I'm amazed that they cannot find the problem. But you can't say that they're not trying their hardest to get it solved.

Hopefully the knock will go away after the rebuild.

Yeah they are def trying i have to give them that, my dad said when he was my age he had a KZ1000 that started knocking and the dealer replaced the crank and whole rotating assembly and it still knocked but never had a prob with it.

I hope that after the rebuild that the knock goes away, but if not ohh well i have two years left on the warranty :rockon: Best thing of all i should actually get my bike back Friday, i know i have said that before but this time it might be true. haha

Every One PLEASE cross ur fingers i go in tomorrow to hopefully pick my bike up.

Its been 8 weeks since ive been able to ride, ive lost alot of good riding weather, and im dying to ride so....wish me luck, cross ur finger and toes, I WANT MY BABY BACK!!! :rockon:

Hey SO I think I am getting the same knock you have.. It sounds like it is coming from the clutch case. or top end it is really hard to tell.. it's weird the bike still has a lot of power and I did the load test on it going down the road and the sound of the noise didn't change which leads me to believe it's not the bottom end.. but when I did notice the noise my clutch was acting up. I couldn't find neutral and holding the clutch wouldn't disengage the motor to the trans. once I got it on the service stand and in neutral it acted fine. but the noise is still there.. which also leads me to believe it's not the engine and possibly the trans.. my warranty is up and I will most likely end up tearing it apart myself so if you found out where that sound was coming from will be a huge help. (I know it's not gas because I fill up with 94 from the same gas station for the passed 10,000 miles and haven't really done any aftermarket changes to the bike either) any help on this would be much appreciated :confused:

bent shift fork and broken clutch basket... not common.... ok if you do wheelies quite often and/or you shift without the clutch it is very common. has it ever slipped out of gear? that will bend a fork.... as far as your noise just out of curiosity did they change the clutch fibers/steels/and springs? o and 2 months may sound rediculous, but for everything they did, its not all that far off, you also have to remember that if there are jobs that pay right then and there they are coming first, the dealer does not make a whole lot off of warrenty.... basically they get paid dealer price for the parts, and the labor yamaha allocates to do the job. basically if your mechanic isnt top mechanic and isnt super fast you are not making any money... plus you get to wait awhile for yamaha to reemburse you for the money you spent on those parts.all the parts the dealer ordered for your bike they paid for out of pocket then they get the money back from yamaha.

Last edited:
no the bike is completely stock, the wheelies thing might be a good possibility, I hate to admit it but I was at the drag strip when this happened... :surrender: on my last pass is when I heard the noise on return lane. I was hoping it was just the clutch knowing I got 10k on it and haven't been super easy on it. but I am not a 100% sure where the noise is even coming from. you know how easy it is to replace a clutch basket / shift fork... I am very mechanically inclined so. I am not too worried about tackling the problem just never worked on a bike motor..

no the bike is completely stock, the wheelies thing might be a good possibility, I hate to admit it but I was at the drag strip when this happened... :surrender: on my last pass is when I heard the noise on return lane. I was hoping it was just the clutch knowing I got 10k on it and haven't been super easy on it. but I am not a 100% sure where the noise is even coming from. you know how easy it is to replace a clutch basket / shift fork... I am very mechanically inclined so. I am not too worried about tackling the problem just never worked on a bike motor..
shift fork.... you have to split the motor. as far as basket, fibers, steels, and springs just take the clutch cover off. forks and transmission gears are pretty in depth... but clutch is pretty easy. if you are gonna hit the strip its a good idea to upgrade the clutch anyway the fibers steels and springs will give you diff enganging and can take much more abuse.

ya I think I am gonna start with the clutch it shift fine.. any recommendations on which baskets to go with? I don't hit the track very often this was the second time I actually mainly use the bike for daily driving to work and back.

Back