Surging and inconsistent idle issues

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a newish 08 FZ6N with about 2,500km and I'm finding that is has surging issues when accelerating, or holding the throttle steady. Especially in first or second gear at lower revs. Sometimes its not very noticeable, other times it makes riding quite annoying. The throttle is also massively snatchy in first gear no matter how careful or soft I am with it, feathering the clutch helps a little.
Sometimes even while accelerating at 6-9k revs the surging is strong enough to be whipping my head around.
Its idle also sometimes is inconsistent (not hugely though).

I always put premium fuel in, and avoid Shell as I've been told that its not good fuel for bikes (here at least).

Alot of my riding is only 60~km/h as its city/suburban, but I try and give it a good run once a week.

It had its service at 1000kms.

I'm wondering whether its something worth taking to the dealer (under warranty still) or if anyone might have any simple advice on what might be causing it so I don't go and look like a total idiot :p

I checked the TPS and it is within normal readings, and doesn't skip.

You might try running some "Seafoam" thru the gas tank. You may have picked up some water/crap in the gas. Its a good fuel system cleaner and fuel stabilizer. Its cheap enough (automotive stores,Walmart, etc) and works good....

As for the snatchy throttle, I tightend my throttle cable end play as tight as possible(the throttle still returns to idle from lock to lock) and seems to help...

Last edited:
It seems like such a new bike that it shouldn't be the throttle bodies, but it sure kinda sounds like the throttle bodies. If you've got some sort of service warranty that'll cover the service, you might ask your dealer to check the throttle body synch.

I had this problem after I adjusted the valves. The problem is that Yamaha tunes the extremely lean to pass emissions. I just bought the power commander from dynojet and uploaded a little bit richer map and the problems will go away and you will not have any fueling issues...

Thanks for the help! I'll contact the dealer over the weekend and see how it goes!

The fuel cleaner is in the new tank of fuel, no change so far though :(

Make sure your throttle cables aren't dirty or binded up, both inside the throttle tube and by the throttle bodies. Also make sure the throttlebodies are properly synced.

When I swapped out my handlebar and put the throttle tube back on, the cable got slightly binded and it caused all sorts of idle and accel/deccel problems.

Other than that it could be 100 different things.

Back