Sw-motech quick release v35 racks not fitting

fyrebug

Reaction score
Visit site
so there really isn't any other way to install the racks. I have an 08 and the parts appear to just go on and only in one way..

I'm having real fitment issues though. I don't know if I've ever sworn at a bike that much. everything just seems 1/4 inch or a few mm too short. not by much but JUST enough to not fit.

has anyone else installed them on a gen 2, and did you run into any issues?

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
I just installed SW-Motech racks this weekend, but they were EVO's on my '06 so I may not be of much help I guess.

The best advise I can give is this: Don't tighten a single bolt/nut until everything is in place.

In looking at the instructions for your combo, it looks very similar to my arrangement. One thing I noticed on mine was that it wasn't clear whether I should remove the original license plate bracket. I did and everything fit nicely. If I hadn't, I could see it skewing everything.

I assume you've seen this...?TwistedThrottle.com

Take some pics of your installation so far and post them. Maybe something will stand out...?

fyrebug

Reaction score
Visit site
ya I followed that and the included instructions.
good idea on not tightening things till it's in place. that sounds like one of those pieces of advice someone tells you once, and you apply to most things from then on.

the original plate bracket had to come off. no choice, the bolts on the OEM bracket are welded on and not long enough. the entire plate bracket seems about half an inch too low. kind of annoying as there was no way to get the plate back on as the mounting holes for the bolts don't match the holes for canadian plates, so I had to re-drill holes in the fender and space the bolts out. that's not the reason for it not fitting though, I actually was able to make more room by drilling..

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm... This is bugging me. I know you must be frustrated. (Especially if you already have the cases and they are just sitting there... mocking you. Those jerks.)

Did you go through and loosen everything up in an attempt to squeeze everything into position?

IF the rear connections are the ones that don't line up then I would think that maybe the Fixing Lugs (#4) need to be rotated a bit backwards or possibly forward...? If that doesn't work, try swapping these from left to right. The schematic indicates that they are identical, but I don't think mine actually were.

I just hope they didn't send you the wrong carrier rack... ugh.

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
kind of annoying as there was no way to get the plate back on as the mounting holes for the bolts don't match the holes for canadian plates, so I had to re-drill holes in the fender and space the bolts out.

I think that's normal for installing these racks. I had to drill new plate holes myself and now my sweet FZ6-Forum plate frame doesn't fit. I'll have to modify it.

BTW, you're only ten hours away from Rhode Island. The fine folks at Twisted Throttle will help you out for free if you're up for a road trip. You'll just have zip-tie your racks to the bike for the ride there. :D