Temperature\Wrong reading?

Ital

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,
My bike while stop at a traffic light will go to over 200 degrees F, is that normal?
While riding it usually between 170 and 190.

I would not be posting if something really strange happened yesterday. It was very warm, about 90F and humid, and notice the bike running a bit hotter that usual.
I stopped to get gas and as soon as I turned the ignition on the fan kicked in which is fine but when I turned the bike on the temperature reading was 113F and would not got any higher, maybe 115F and then back down to 113F.. I found it very add so at the next light, I shut the bike off and turned it back on and this time the temperature did read at around 210F while at the light. While riding the rest of the way home temperatures dropped back down to 190F in about a minute or so.

anyway should I be worried about it or was it just a fluke?

Also I am always trying to smell for something to make sure nothing is melting and I do think I smelled something like plastic melting but was not very strong, a very faint smell, but I just got the new exhaust installed so not sure if that could been it,

Bike is a 2008 FZ6 with 2500 miles.

Thanks

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That is strange. I'd say not normal. The ecu makes ignition and fuel delivery decisions based upon that reading. That and whether to enable the fan.

Think back, when reading 113 was the Fan ON?
Did you push any buttons on the gauge?
You know it will toggle from C = Coolant temp to A = Ambient Temp inside the aibox. If sitting, airbox temp could easily be 113. That said, it should not switch back and forth from turning the key off/on. It would want a button push.

If it ever repeats I would be inspecting connector condition for corrosion. Look at the schematic, perhaps 3 connectors between coolant temp sensor and ECU.

Ital

Reaction score
Visit site
I did push the buttons on the dash board, I reset my trip.. I never had done it before but wanted to see how many miles I'll get out of a fuel tank. I definitely did not switch from F to C, lol. I do not even know how to switch to Ambient temp, did not know it even we had that option, kewl. Will read the manual to see how you switch to that as I could had.
I was trying to hear if the fan was on and I think it was, but with my loud exhaust it was hard to tell. I could feel the heat pouring out by my legs.. so I want to believe it was on, but not 100% sure that is why I shut the bike off to see if it would reset. I know that as soon as I turned off the bike and turned the switch on the fan was on.

other than that, do those temperature reading appear to be normal? what would be considered to high?

Thanks!

Ital

Reaction score
Visit site
FinalImpact, you nailed it.

from the manual:
"The coolant temperature display indicates
the temperature of the coolant.
Push the “RESET” button to switch the
coolant temperature display to the air
intake temperature display."

I did hit reset first to try to reset my trip so that must been the intake temp!!!
I also found the answer what is to high and from the manual anything above 240 is to high!

Thanks!

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
On a 90°F + day if creeping for a period of time or stopped its pretty normal to see temps around 205° to 212°. Highest I've seen mine was 215. Obviously if you stop for fuel the whole thing heat soaks from lack of cooling and temps when Re-started could be over 220... its just the physics of no active cooling system to shed all those BTU's trapped in the block and no way out.

Glad all is well.

IIIRC pressing reset while in odo mode (not Trip mode) toggles which sensor is reporting...

Ital

Reaction score
Visit site
well, when I pulled in my drive way, I shut the bike off and then after a minute i switch the ignition on but did not turn the bike on and it was like 240.. turned the ignition off and then back on and it was 260... i just pulled it into the garage after that. I never actually turned the bike on. The fan would kick in every single time.. I am thinking that was normal as the bike was sitting.
Today weather is calling for rain so I did not ride...

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You might just verify the coolant is full to the top of the radiator and in the proper fill level on the reservoir.

Clean all parts of cap including vacuum seal (it's spring loaded and pulls down for cleaning) and both radiator landings on the radiator itself.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If no one has touched on it..... It might be a good idea to change out to fresh coolant. Could be that someone used pure antifreeze with no water or the coolant is aged. This could cause insufficient cooling because you need 50:50 mix of water and coolant for better heat transfer. Auto parts places sell premixed 50:50 :)