Texas Inspection Issues

A

Aggietaco

Has anyone ever run into an issue getting inspection because of the headlights?

There happens to be a Jiffy Lube just down the street from my condo that I visited this morning for my inspection. After we had finished everything, he asked me if I knew my headlamp was out. I get this question probably twice a month so I explained to him that it was high beam only and showed him. He told me he'd have to fail me because it needs to be permanently lit. I explained that I can't make the bulb light up unless I turned the brights on. I asked that he check with his GM whom I sure would have clarified the issue for him - apparently the GM has his head up his ass as well.

So, after the guy asked me to pay for my failed inspection, I called him a few choice words and had him give me his GM's cell phone number. I called 5 times with no answer after he had just spoken with him so I left a message. Got back to my place, checked the TX DPS site for what is required for an inspection and it clearly states "A motorcycle may not be operated at any time unless at least one headlamp on the motorcycle is illuminated. This subsection does not apply to a motorcycle manufactured before the model year 1975."

After I tell the manager this, he says he still can't pass my inspection unless his GM ok's it. Seriously? You have no idea how to inspect a motorcycle, you're doing it wrong, I've shown you the written language showing you're wrong, and you still can't pass me unless your GM admits both of you have no idea what you're talking about?

Frustration insued which led to a Lonestar or two at 10:00 AM this morning.

Typically, I would just move onto another shop, but this one is literally a block from my place and I can't stand that they call themselves a motorcycle inspection location and don't know how to inspect bikes.

AtxDanger

90% Ambition 10% drive!
Reaction score
Visit site
Im from Austin, now living in D/FW. Sounds all to familiar to me. I don't get why people have such a hard time understanding the headlights on motorcycles. I ended up modding my bike to dual headlights because people were at the point of running me off the road to tell me that i had a headlight out. I would think, It is my bike i am aware what is going on with it! Thanks for almost killing me to inform me that i could possible have bulb out will riding in broad daylight!

scottsst

Reaction score
Visit site
and its not like the FZ6 is the only bike like this either Ducati's,Yamaha's,and I think a couple Honda models as well . I'm sure there are more I can't think of off the top of my head. How can these places not have some kind of list of bikes that are like this it's a common enough design that you would think they would know about it

A

Aggietaco

Try Zabors Motorcycle Repair on Burnet. They had me in and out in 15 minutes.

Zabor's Motorcycle Repair - Austin, TX

I was planning on going to Zabors on Friday but left my insurance card at home. I figured sinze Jiffy Lube opens at 7 and is 1 minute from my place it would be a quick in an out. After letting 2 other vehicles be inspected in front of my bike that arrived after me, the incident above happened.

I ended up filing a complaint with Jiffy Lube corporate about their manager and GM being ignorant, but I doubt that will help. I'm going to Zabor's place on Monday at lunch.

A

Aggietaco

and its not like the FZ6 is the only bike like this either Ducati's,Yamaha's,and I think a couple Honda models as well . I'm sure there are more I can't think of off the top of my head. How can these places not have some kind of list of bikes that are like this it's a common enough design that you would think they would know about it

The reason we all have trouble is the caliber of people that work most of these places. If they knew what they were supposed to be inspecting, there would be no issue.