The great Yamaha con, where have all me horses gone?

What power is your engine

• 2004 FZ6

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • 2005 FZ6

Votes: 16 10.3%
  • 2006 FZ6

Votes: 45 28.8%
  • 2007 FZ6

Votes: 37 23.7%
  • 2007 FZ6 S2

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • 72Kw 98 Ps

Votes: 26 16.7%
  • 56 kw 78 Ps

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ninja 250 so powers not a problem

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • FZ6 33 Kw (restricted) 56 Kw 78 Ps

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • FZ6 33 Kw (restricted) 56 Kw 78 Ps

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

brows141

Naked Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Gentleman (and Ladies) don't panic. Here in Greece there's only one thing that takes up more mens time than soccer and it's bikes. There are over 25 monthly motorcycle magazines in print and everyone is a so called expert. :D :D :D
Anyway I have read that the 2 different models (which were put out the begining of this year) will have different color (colour) engines. The 98hp version will be black with a black frame (by fame I am referring to the aluminum piece in between the gas tank and the engine) and the 78hp will be silver. This has nothing to do with previous models which were in fact 98hp with silver details.

There are a few more tweaks done to the new s2 model as well I will try and find an article for you guys.

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Gentleman (and Ladies) don't panic. Here in Greece there's only one thing that takes up more mens time than soccer and it's bikes. There are over 25 monthly motorcycle magazines in print and everyone is a so called expert. :D :D :D
Anyway I have read that the 2 different models (which were put out the begining of this year) will have different color (colour) engines. The 98hp version will be black with a black frame (by fame I am referring to the aluminum piece in between the gas tank and the engine) and the 78hp will be silver. This has nothing to do with previous models which were in fact 98hp with silver details.

There are a few more tweaks done to the new s2 model as well I will try and find an article for you guys.
Thanks for that,
Do the bike mags over there offer a reason as to why the silver engined model has been castrated?

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
you can read about the changes here as well

2007 Yamaha FZ6
The article you have posted is essentially the same spec as the one I posted.

Standard FZ6 Fazer and FZ6

In addition to the new high-specification S2 versions, Yamaha will continue to offer the FZ6 Fazer and FZ6 based upon the 2006 model. Producing 57kW (78HP) @ 12,000rpm, and their changes for 2007 include a remapped fuel injection system, 3-way catalyser with oxygen sensor, repositioned passenger footrests, and a new-shape softer seat with a new cover material.

Which is good as I does reduce confusion about the two new models. The thing that bugs me is that Yamaha are almost suggesting that the previous bikes were 56Kw and they are making great technological strides in increasing engine power.

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have really been wondering about this since I bought my FZS6WR. I've looked all over and cant seem to find this info, did you read it somewhere or did a dealer tell you or what?

Jim
Hi mate,
Bren raised an interesting point about the power rating being stamped on an engine plate. I will have a look at my engine today. I can remember that when I was a young rider. Prior to passing the motorcycle test 125cc bikes were restricted to 12Kw. This was clearly stamped on the engine. So it makes sense.

Numpty

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Mate,

Its listed on the left hand side of the first page of the new type of reg document. Between the type approval number and the VIN /chassis/ frame number. Max. net power (Kw)

Mate i just looked and its blank (p.2 net power kw):confused:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mate i just looked and its blank (p.2 net power kw):confused:
Thats strange, you have a 2005 so it should be 72Kw. My bike was registered to me in 2007 when the two diferent models appeared. So that may be an explanation. Have you got the new type of reg doc with the bar code on it?

Numpty

Reaction score
Visit site
Thats strange, you have a 2005 so it should be 72Kw. My bike was registered to me in 2007 when the two diferent models appeared. So that may be an explanation. Have you got the new type of reg doc with the bar code on it?

Hi mate.Yeh blue cover,double page one.Bar code on bottom left second page.Bike first registered 29/07/2005.It was advertised when i bought it as fz6 sport but it dont say sport on log book either.I was given a glossy booklet with the bike and in that it says 72kw 98hp.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi mate.Yeh blue cover,double page one.Bar code on bottom left second page.Bike first registered 29/07/2005.It was advertised when i bought it as fz6 sport but it dont say sport on log book either.I was given a glossy booklet with the bike and in that it says 72kw 98hp.
you can sleep tonight lol. what is the number on the front right hand corner of the book?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
On the registration certificate?
No sorry mate the glossy thing you got with the bike. I have checked my manual but it doesn't make any reference to power output. The Number on my manual is 5VX-28199-E2.

Numpty

Reaction score
Visit site
No sorry mate the glossy thing you got with the bike. I have checked my manual but it doesn't make any reference to power output. The Number on my manual is 5VX-28199-E2.

No numbers top left 2005 sport, top right yamaha. Think its just a glossy showing all 2005 fazers in it.

Numpty

Reaction score
Visit site

Mate just found the manual and the number is the some as yours.

H

HavBlue

The US one for my 2004 is 5VX-28197-10. There are pages of specs in section 2 but no reference to output on either the torque or horsepower side.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The US one for my 2004 is 5VX-28197-10. There are pages of specs in section 2 but no reference to output on either the torque or horsepower side.
Yeah its all a bit wierd. I didn't realise how different the basic spec was from the US an UK bikes.