These are my dream bikes...

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Our own dedicated racetrack?

I am in too! I don't care what bike I am testing (make sure we have extra plastics and a couple of engines though lol) :D

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
LOOK AT THIS MOTOR http://kellycontroller.com/hub-motor-72v-45kw-high-torquedisc-brake-p-811.html IT'S MADE TO BE IN THE WHEEL !!!!!!!!! way more room for batteries and the weight could be distributed alot more evenly throughout the bike !! this is the perfect motor placement !!!

I have been checking those out, I really like the one Protean Electric developed, but I think they run like $30,000 each right now. I am worried about the size, I figured on at least a 40kWh motor and I really like the idea of the CVT Set up, might be able to salvage one off of a Bergman if it could handle the torque :eek:

Last edited:

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been checking those out, I really like the one Protean Electric developed, but I think they run like $30,000 each right now. I am worried about the size, I figured on at least a 40kWh motor and I really like the idea of the CVT Set up, might be able to salvage one off of a Bergman if it could handle the torque :eek:
CVT is nice! the Kawasaki 750 Brute Force uses a CVT that could handle the tourqe but would force you build a shaft driven bike.... now a Baker 6 speed is belt drive in and out and has a clutch so you don't lose the entire petrol motorcycle experiance..... :D

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
CVT is nice! the Kawasaki 750 Brute Force uses a CVT that could handle the tourqe but would force you build a shaft driven bike.... now a Baker 6 speed is belt drive in and out and has a clutch so you don't lose the entire petrol motorcycle experiance..... :D

I was thinking belt drive as well :D, not sure if we should go with a clutch or clutchless, the electric motor behaves much differently than a petrol motor does. One of the benefits of a clutchless CVT is that the electric motor would maintain an optimal RPM for efficiency. Definitely one of the things we need to look into :thumbup:

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking belt drive as well :D, not sure if we should go with a clutch or clutchless, the electric motor behaves much differently than a petrol motor does. One of the benefits of a clutchless CVT is that the electric motor would maintain an optimal RPM for efficiency. Definitely one of the things we need to look into :thumbup:

an electric servo could change gears on demand by processing throttle input,motor temp,battery voltage drop due to tourqe production and choose a higher or lower gear to maintain optimal performance,or just use a CVT trans like you said first!! LOL :BLAA: { I enginered my self right out of the manual trans.... :D }

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
an electric servo could change gears on demand by processing throttle input,motor temp,battery voltage drop due to tourqe production and choose a higher or lower gear to maintain optimal performance,or just use a CVT trans like you said first!! LOL :BLAA: { I enginered my self right out of the manual trans.... :D }

KISS, Keep it Simple Stupid :BLAA: I will post up an eFZ6 Build Thread tomorrow.

Last edited:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You guys are mental. This is going to be epic.

John's crazy enough to actually follow through on all this too haha.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I like the idea of cvt as well and there are many options out there that you can get relatively cheep. I would look at 4 wheelers or side by sides, there are tons that have a cvt setup and many of them have lots of tq so you know they can handle it. Plus there are plenty of aftermarket company that offer kits to make them even stronger. So imo cvt would be the way to go. I would personally look for one off any 2000+ Polaris sportsman or the scrambler i think its called, because polaris has been using the cvt setup in its entire line the longest and pretty much has it perfected.

Benefits: readily available, strong, easy to upgrade (mainly springs) and it would keep the motor in its prime operating range.

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I like the idea of cvt as well and there are many options out there that you can get relatively cheep. I would look at 4 wheelers or side by sides, there are tons that have a cvt setup and many of them have lots of tq so you know they can handle it. Plus there are plenty of aftermarket company that offer kits to make them even stronger. So imo cvt would be the way to go. I would personally look for one off any 2000+ Polaris sportsman or the scrambler i think its called, because polaris has been using the cvt setup in its entire line the longest and pretty much has it perfected.

Benefits: readily available, strong, easy to upgrade (mainly springs) and it would keep the motor in its prime operating range.

What a Good idea!!the Polaris trans look's like it will work pretty good here I found one to an idea of how it would hook up to the motor.. POLARIS SCRAMBLER SPORT 400 TRANSMISSION GEAR CASE 2WD | eBay

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
For that price it could be worth its weight in gold for this setup!