Thinking About a New Bike (KTM RC 390)

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
I had the chance to sit on a RC 390 at the Chicago IMS over the weekend. I'm really thinking about picking one up. I'll wait until the US owners report on quality, but I'm really thinking about buying one Fall 2015 or Spring 2016.

What do you guys think?

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
I've never been very into KTM bikes... However they were all two-stroke bikes though so it's a bit different. All three KTM bikes I've ridden (one road legal supermoto and two dirt bikes) needed a new top end very shortly after being bought (and they weren't redlined or abused).

That RC390 does look pretty sweet, but I think I'd go for a Ducati before I went KTM though. :shrug:

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
I've never been very into KTM bikes... However they were all two-stroke bikes though so it's a bit different. All three KTM bikes I've ridden (one road legal supermoto and two dirt bikes) needed a new top end very shortly after being bought (and they weren't redlined or abused).

That RC390 does look pretty sweet, but I think I'd go for a Ducati before I went KTM though. :shrug:

I'd prefer Ducati as well, but they don't make a 340 lbs Race Rep. for $5,500. I'm not sure Ducati even seels a bike for $5,500.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Most KTM road bikes are four stroke.
I have 21,500 miles on my KTM 990 Supermoto T, so far so good. I love the power to weight ratio and the awesome suspension. It's a real Hooligan bike and will give the Duc a run for the money any day.
However I know nothing about the 390 other than it's small and not much power. If it's what you want go for it.

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
However I know nothing about the 390 other than it's small and not much power. If it's what you want go for it.

2014-ktm-rc390-05.jpg

Basically, it's a aggressive beginners bike. Lightweight, low power, cheap. The suspension is non-adjustable, although the rear does have preload. However, the cup version does have adjustable suspension that will be available for sale.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site

2014-ktm-rc390-05.jpg

Basically, it's a aggressive beginners bike. Lightweight, low power, cheap. The suspension is non-adjustable, although the rear does have preload. However, the cup version does have adjustable suspension that will be available for sale.

Holy cow, that's probably under 375 pounds wet weight. I bet you could flick that thing around like an enduro! That thing looks like it would be a hoot to ride even with a bit less power than we're all used to. The weight surely makes it a lot less noticeable that you're down on power.

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
I think it's a good looking bike, though I'm a big fan of the RC8

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvc4NvWsBa4[/ame]

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
I love the way the guy says "you can go full throttle and hold it there a while"

No replacement for displacement, give horsepower-lots. :spank:

He was right though. It's more fun to ride a slow bike (or any toy for that matter) fast than it is to ride a fast bike slowly because you're afraid it might kill you.

When I was looking into buying my first bike, I never even thought about buying a liter bike, but I still read the articles talking about how in general people who start on liter bikes don't learn the basic techniques, they learn how to stay alive on a bike that's always trying to kill them. :spank:

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
He was right though. It's more fun to ride a slow bike (or any toy for that matter) fast than it is to ride a fast bike slowly because you're afraid it might kill you.

When I was looking into buying my first bike, I never even thought about buying a liter bike, but I still read the articles talking about how in general people who start on liter bikes don't learn the basic techniques, they learn how to stay alive on a bike that's always trying to kill them. :spank:

I'v read about that too, doesn't make me want a liter bike any less though.

This would be my dream garage...

ktm-1290-super-duke-r-black-1.jpg

2015-KTM-RC-390-Road-Beauty-Photo_A_Barbanti.jpg

I'll start with the RC and then move up to the 1000cc naked at some point later... when I can afford it.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd gladly take an rc390 or ninja 300 right now, I love small bikes and just do 10ish over the speedlimiter typically so that fact that they don't do 150+ like my FZ doesn't really matter when they'll get better mileage and be more fun in anything else but straight line performance.

Enjoy it, I hope to get to ride one some day.

PS. I'm 5'10ish like <145lbs if that helps to understand why I'm so satisfied with small bikes lol

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Well... I found the prices on the fully adjustable suspension from the cup bike.

If I get this bike my mods will be suspension and Akrapovic slip-on. So it's nice to know the pricing.

Looks like it's about $2,700 for suspension, not too bad actually. I was half expecting it to be more.