Can't stop thinking about a liter bike

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
TTTT, I want a liter too! I've been on Erci's FZ1 and QuietEagle's Speed Triple...It was such a rush and I knew this is what I want when I ever exploit the capabilities of the FZ6. However, I ride to work and back and NJ rides when I can, I just cant justify a 1k until I discover what I cant do on the 6.

OneCheekRider

One Cheek On The Seat!
Reaction score
Visit site
The linear acceleration will probably grow old (especially on the street). I had a GSXR 1000 (track only) and while the raw speed was fun, I just didn't have as much fun as I did on my R6 (faster corner speed, WOT all the time). IMO, a SS is overkill on the street and any more than 30min and I'm over it because it's just not comfortable. I love my FZ6 on the street.

With that being said, if you have the money, why not another bike? if you don't like, sell it and try out another one!

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've hunted down R1s and S1000RRs on the track with my SV650 and Ninja 500. I don't like bikes with stupid amounts of horsepower. The thing I like about slower bikes is that there's very little need to fear the throttle. You rip on it, it goes, and it doesn't throw you off.

I owned a TL1000R (1000 v-twin) and that was the shortest I ever owned a bike; about 3 months. While the acceleration was nice, it was also pointless.

I've ridden CBR1000RR's a couple times. Unless the bike exclusively lives on the track, it's just a chore to ride. I never got to enjoy riding it as I was so focused on my right wrist. If anything, I'd put a modern GSXR750 at the limit of practical and fun.

A chore to ride lol? MOST people say that it is easier to ride because you can ride all day in 5th gear because of the torque. I find it just as easy to ride as the fz6, actually easier in the curves because it handles better. I do not see in any way how it is a chore to ride, that is actually a pretty funny statement.

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
Get used to higher insurance costs. The liter bikes are cool. If a 600 is too slow for you your probably going to be killed by it. My FZ6 is capable are able to reach speeds of 150. I've been there and it's really fast on a slow motorcycle.

JONJONsocal

UNKNOWN HOON
Reaction score
Visit site
Exactly. There is nothing a liter bike does that the FZ6 doesn't, except go faster and use more gas.

I have a VTR1000f (honda superhawk) it does more than go faster and use more gas... It goes A LOT faster and it uses A LOT more gas which means A LOT MORE FUN... Its all about the torque on a littler bike. They sound meaner feel a lot better on the freeway for sure.. you go 80 on 3rd gear and shift up and make the engine rest all the way.... you just cruise. I love both bikes. The superhawk is a v-twin.. its got about 70 ft.lbs of torque at 7,000rpm.. The fz6 is got 1/2 the torque. If we were talking cars it 1000cc is like a v8 mustang 600cc is like a 4 cylinder honda.. lol

If you have the means, go for it. You would not regret it..

Jon :thumbup:

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
I have both the FZ6 and FZ1. There is no comparison. I actually ride the FZ1 slower. The FZ1 is so much more bike than the FZ6. Best way to describe it it's like going from a Ninja 250 to the FZ6. Sure they will both break the speed limit but the FZ6 with feel more "substantial". The FZ1 does the same thing, nice torque down low, handles better than the FZ6 and is just as comfortable to ride. What was surprising to me was the FZ1 is actually easier to maneuver at lower speeds. The steering feels lighter at under 5mph than the FZ6 even though the bike is slightly heavier. Once you ride a 1L it would be hard to return to a 600 but with power you better have respect because either the police are going to catch up with you or bad luck will.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Exactly. There is nothing a liter bike does that the FZ6 doesn't, except go faster and use more gas.

There is nothing that a fz6 does that a 50cc scooter doesn't, except go faster and use more gas. Better go trade it in for that scooter!

It is funny, my ninja goes faster, is smoother, handles in the corners MUCH better and is a joy to ride compared to my fz6. I loved my fz6 but i love my ninja a little more.

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
I loved my fz6 but i love my ninja a little more.

I almost bought the Ninja over the FZ1, the deciding factors for me was the center stand and the FZ1 has more accessories to purchase because of it longer production run. Both bikes are very close and have their individual strengths so can't really go wrong with either.

n0other

biker wannabe
Reaction score
Visit site
Just to clarify, you guys are talking about the new zx10r with funky tacho?

It's actually the cheapest of all liter SS bikes here but I'm not too sure they have a presence as strong as honda so would be a bit worried about part supply, but haven't researched.

Just looking around at local dealers, I'd rate them like this:

Honda - prices online, financed with 0% interest, good part supply

KTM - prices online, great website and support, know a couple of guys who bought new Dukes.

Suzuki - prices online

Kawasaki - cheapest of the bunch, prices online

Aprilia/Ducati - prices online, kinda expensive, very bad part supply I've read, break something at the beginning of the season and it's very likely you'll get the parts at the end of it.

BMW - prices kinda hidden, but they show approximate monthly payment + are test ride friendly and probably have the strongest presence of all, a pity it's expensive.

Yamaha (just for not having a transparent price list, I don't like "contact us to get a quote" BS), bad website, dealers seemed kinda stuck up when I contacted them for my FZ6 parts, probably I'm too small of a fish to bother replying. Oh, and recall work for my 2004 - declined. Not buying a new Yamaha here any time soon!

I almost bought the Ninja over the FZ1, the deciding factors for me was the center stand and the FZ1 has more accessories to purchase because of it longer production run. Both bikes are very close and have their individual strengths so can't really go wrong with either.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Yeah they are both great bikes, I had mine out today for a 160 mile ride. The gel seat on it made a huge improvement over the stock seat. I love the big 5gal gas tank on it. I do miss my fz6 but i love my ninja. I love the fz1's too, great looking bikes.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah they are both great bikes, I had mine out today for a 160 mile ride. The gel seat on it made a huge improvement over the stock seat. I love the big 5gal gas tank on it. I do miss my fz6 but i love my ninja. I love the fz1's too, great looking bikes.

What's your fuel range on that new Ninja?

I was just at the Kawi dealership today looking at the latest and greatest, and was looking at the Ninja 1000 and thought of ya.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OP, you could buy an Aprilia Tuono V4R and have the best of both worlds, and the Super Bike of the year!

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, if you feel the need to prove yourself Vs cagers you belong on a busa or Zx-14... Then all you have to worry about is bugattis, until you add a turbo, if you live that long.

Hit a track day on your FZ , get the lead out. The need for speed bug on public roads Is a good way to get yourself squashed, and nobody here wants to see that. Track day it up and if your still not satisfied go liter bike. Personally if I was going to get a SS 1k (and I have no plans to) it would be the R1.

Better to go full tard on a track than on a public road ;)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You're not doing it right! Get the fizzer on the chicken in low gear, now apply enough throttle to lift the nose in the corner and shift with it all leaned over! Its a pretty good rush! :spank: :spank:

We have a life together (Fizzer and me), its great inexpensive bike with a lotta potential when setup right.

I guess my issue is, I'm surrounded by twists! So I just don't have that need for crazy acceleration,cause I'd be in the ditch too quick! :D :D

Please get your will in order!

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site

That was one thing that was better on the Ninja, fuel range. My FZ1 I'm getting about 250km from a tank.

n0other

biker wannabe
Reaction score
Visit site
Alright, the bike is plenty fast after 8k rpm, it's a freaking fast tbh, but keep riding like that and it drinks petrol like it's nothing. Below 8k rpm it's slow, slow to a point I'm not comfortable overtaking cars, so every overtake it's shifting way down which is good, not being lazy on the gears will make one a better driver overall, but the bike screams so much then! Everyone turns their heads to see who the lunatic is lol!

I don't also imagine cruising on this thing at 80 mph, with 17T sprocket maybe, but with 15T the rpm would be what.. something around 7k, maybe 6.5k with stock 16T? Correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't noted that, but rpm at 60mph is around 6k with 15T in 6th gear, that's way too stressful to hear.

I find the FZ6 great around town and a liter bike... YES! But most likely not for speed, you are all correct - nonsense on the street, rather more torque and a friendlier tourer? Maybe something dual purpose would be great, like BMW F800GS or even R1200GS.

This is turning abit OT for what this started, but it's the bar right? :thumbup:

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What's your fuel range on that new Ninja?

I was just at the Kawi dealership today looking at the latest and greatest, and was looking at the Ninja 1000 and thought of ya.

It should be around 200-210 miles if you push it.

I checked my mpg yesterday and it was a little over 41mpg which is not bad. The er6n got 55.8mpg, these were riding in the mountains.