Throttle Cable

Jezfz6s

Reaction score
Visit site
Recently had my 2004 FZ6S serviced and my local dealer recommends I install a new throttle cable. I have a Haynes manual and the procedure seems pretty straight forward all though I am a novice mechanic. Just wondering if anyone out there has done this before and may have any advice?

Thanks Jezfz6s

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Recently had my 2004 FZ6S serviced and my local dealer recommends I install a new throttle cable. I have a Haynes manual and the procedure seems pretty straight forward all though I am a novice mechanic. Just wondering if anyone out there has done this before and may have any advice?

Thanks Jezfz6s

Welcome to the forum!!!

Its not terribly hard. Loosen the cables at the left SIDE of the bike (by the throttle bodies) taking note of the tension of the old cables. They should NOT BIND UP and have just a little bit of play.

There's 3 screws holding the assembly to the handlebars and I re-call they may be 3 different sizes(take note). There is a little pin that lines up (actually goes into) the handle bar so just make sure that's lined up.

Once the new cables are installed(clean the handle bar too), adjust the cables so there's just enough slack so when you turn the forks, the RPMs do NOT rise. The tighter(to this point), the less slop will be in the throttle.

The cables have different #'s so pay attantion to which is the pull and which is the return cable (do one at a time if your new at it).

Last edited: