Ticking sound from the engine

Papashvili

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,

I have a 18k miles fz6 s1, at warm engine i hear a ticking noise from the right side of the engine here is a video i hope u can hear it.

YouTube

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't hear anything unusual from the video but you'd know a new sound on your bike.

Is it worse when cold or hot / same?

If its NOT coming from under the valve cover, the valves are likely ok (as in adjustment).

About the only issue on that side of the engine is the cam chain tensioner (CCT). They'll loose spring tension and the cam chain will tend to rattle inside the cases, especially on the right side.

The bike has low miles BUT, age wise, the tensioner / spring inside IS about a decade old. And there have been issues with them loosing tension.

Do a search here on CCT and listen to the video's posted.

The CCT, at least here in the states, is about $100(US). Probably cheap insurance in any case to replace with a fresh one...

Papashvili

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanx for sharing your opinion by the way my fz6 its 21k miles not 18, my bad. Where the valve are located? I will try to hear if the sound come from there. The ticking noise is louder when the engine is warmer and i can hear it until i reach 5k rpm 6k rpm

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
That sounds similar to the regular FZ6 tick, I've had it since day 1 with the bike and its never changed. That being said I would still recommend at least checking over the cam chain tensioner, you can isolate where the sound is coming from by holding a screwdriver handle to your ear and placing the tip on various locations around the engine. If it's the valves you will hear the tick coming from the area behind the rad, down a little from where the spark plug wires plug into the top of the engine.... Though if you don't know where the valves are it might be beneficial to have a friend or local shop to look over it for you

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Chains don't tick or tap so that Sounds like the valve lash needs adjusted as some of the valves clearances are too loose (excessive lash).

Many Many MANY mistake chain noise for valve noise. Excessive clearance between the camshafts (there are two) the tappet or lifter and they tap just like yours does.

Get a quote for valve clearance adjustment.
The process involves removing the fuel tank, battery, air box, cooling radiator & fan, and then the valve cover and right side engine cover. Then the valve lash clearance is measured and small shims over the tops of each valve are swapped out for different thickness shims to obtain optimal clearance for both the intake and exhaust valves.

There are a couple of good threads on the topic on this forum.

Valve clearance adjustment

TearDown2ValveCheck_zpsdahpu6w4.gif

DSC_7967_zps57e75510.jpg

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanx for sharing your opinion by the way my fz6 its 21k miles not 18, my bad. Where the valve are located? I will try to hear if the sound come from there. The ticking noise is louder when the engine is warmer and i can hear it until i reach 5k rpm 6k rpm

Check your PM's.

Last edited:

Papashvili

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the hint im going to use the screwdriver to locate the source of the sound. I will bring the bike to the shop where i bought it, i just hope its nothing to worry about.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You have to isolate out the tap. But yes. Its there. I have an audio of mine somewhere... Hold on...

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Once adjusted properly its so quiet and throttle response improves...
Paste from another thread...

A short walk around (48sec)... Taps are pretty easily heard during the first and last 10seconds of play.
Soundcloud MP3 fz6 valve lash
Using an empty tube like from paper towels, place it to you ear and listen to where the noise comes from. A long wood dowel or screwdriver works too. The audio above; three valves where out of spec enough to make noise which should have been addressed back at 10,000 miles, did it at 20 and aside from being quiet, it runs much smoother and gets rid of a layer of vibrations. :thumbup:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You have to isolate out the tap. But yes. Its there. I have an audio of mine somewhere... Hold on...

If your hearing a tap, (I don't), as noted, loose a valve is very likely the issue.

And for the OP, the valves are under that last picture Final Impact posted. The ticking would be emanating from under there...

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If your hearing a tap, (I don't), as noted, loose a valve is very likely the issue.

And for the OP, the valves are under that last picture Final Impact posted. The ticking would be emanating from under there...

Can you hear it in the audio i posted (mp3)?

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, what system are you listening on? Its easier to hear with better speakers as in; not a mobile device w mono output.

This is the first ride after valve adjustment. Ignition is advanced, S2 header in place, main cat gone and 2bro w power tips, stock fuel map (No Bazzaz)....
FZ6 after Valve Adjustment

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A professional grade HP Lap Top with little speakers (that suck)...

My old Dell desk top, has amplified, REAL speakers (but I have a service guy coming over very shortly and have to look at my parents car once he's done- ft wheel bearings in a ft wheel drive Avalon)

Papashvili

Reaction score
Visit site
I took the bike to the dealer where I bought it. the mechanic said that 99% of the problem is the CCT and unfortunately the part is not covered by warranty

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just saying - chains do not make noises like that. Use a long wooden dowel, screw driver, or something and place the end on the CCT and then each area of the head over the exhaust ports. You will hear the tap sound there on the head by the Ex ports..

Do this before buying a CCT as I lay odds replacing the CCT does not solve this problem. Just sayin; based upon that audio, I'd say it valve adjustment time.

You can always pull the CCT and inspect it. Take you perhaps 20"...

Papashvili

Reaction score
Visit site
If its the cct do u think i can replace by myself i have good practicality. Can i also do the valve clearance incase is needed?

Thanks for all for the support [emoji3]

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Put a stick to your ear and listen then you'll know what path you are on.

CCT yes. Its pretty easy. There is a how to in the link I posted above.
Valve check and adjustment requires tools not everybody has and figure a days work if you take your time. Again, follow the link above and follow the link on how to check the valve lash. Both have step by step instructions.
Post up if you have any questions after reading them.
Sadly, pictures are missing from some of the posts!