tie your shoes

a_sick1

2004 FZ6
Reaction score
Visit site
squidding home from work today...thought i hit something. weird punch at the left foot. figured out when i got home one shoelace ended up getting caught on the chain. it could have easily turned out way worse. time to buy some good boots.:squid:

J

jsteinb95

My brother in-law had a HD 1200 custom sportster and he stopped at a red light, put his feet down (well, one of them anyways).....his shoelace was caught on the peg and over he went! I'm glad he doesn't have a bike anymore......he was too tare-headed.

a_sick1

2004 FZ6
Reaction score
Visit site
here you can see the carnage....the shoelace picked up all the dirt and stuff on the chain.

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had my work boots on ages ago (steel capped), and I went to put my foot down, one of the laces had hooked onto the little knob thing on the end of the footpeg. I was running late that day, and forgot to put my Dri-Rider boots on.

Always wear a decent set of "riding" boots. See 4Fun's post above an follow the link... nasty.

:)

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
The boots I wear normally have straps on them like a ski boot. But I have had my pant leg get caught up once. It was kinda scary trying to put my foot down and having it caught up. It was only on the peg, and a quick pickup of my leg is all it took to free it. Also I was lucky not to be leaning that way when it happened, it could have ended up setting it down.

I did lay my bike down this past year, when I was eager to ride and ended up stepping down on ice when I went to park it. I was able to set it down easy, but still couldn't stop it from falling. The only damage was my blinker got shoved in, and had to take it all apart and gorilla glue it back together. Otherwise it was ok.

-PD

Reaction score
Visit site
I was shopping for a bike several years ago and saw a new Kawa in the shop that was banged up with few miles on it. The sales guy told us that it was just brought in by a guy that was wearing sneaks that were "fashionably" untied and he was pulling up to a traffic stop(DUI), and his laces were tangled with the footpegs. Over it went in front of the troopers and he got a ticket for failure to control. OHIO STATE PATROL! He brought the bike back to the shop for them to sell. I guess he doesn't ride anymore......GRUMPY

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
Same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. Wearing trainers (wouldn't do that now), stopped at a red light. Went to put left foot down and ....oops shoelace caught on footpeg. Only some serious bodyweight shifting saved me from an embarassing no-speed fall:spank:

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
Happened to me on my first bike, Yamaha Enduro. Pulled in the garage, lace was stuck on the brake and over it went, got a nice sized burn on my calf from the exhaust! I hear chicks dig scars. Or maybe not.

nlheikki

2009 Buell XB12Scg
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had a loop from my left shoelace wrap around the left foot peg.......not a good feeling when you try to move your foot and can't for some reason. I always tuck my laces inside my shoes now.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Consider yourself Very lucky as you didn't go down. Like Jsteinb95 described, that would be the most likely scenario as a result of shoe laces getting tangled up. My roomate on his R6 did the exact same thing, and he ended up dumping his bike. Fortunately for him, it was on the driveway.

You can gather great knowledge from other member's advice and information that they provide here on this forum rather than learning from the "Hard Way". Consider it a short cut in terms of learning. Wearing tennis shoes is one of them. Wear at the minimum, working boots when you ride, with reinforced toes and high ankle support. Even though my work boots have laces, I always make sure that they are tucked in inside my riding pants.

Rattail

Reaction score
Visit site
If your headed down to the store or something at least tuck in your laces.... Those things are really EVIL....:iconbeer:

MORTI !

M.A.MEMBER
Reaction score
WWW.KOBO.CO.UK
DID EXACTLY THE SAME SOME 30 YEARS AGO ON A ROYAL ENFIELD.....BIKE WENT DOWN....NO DAMAGE BUT THE PETROL STARTED COMING OUT OF THE PETROL FILLER CAP AND RUNNING ONTO THE EXHAUST....LOTS OF BILLOWING WHITE SMOKE AND A RUSH OF ADRENALIN TO MY PANTS SOON GOT UP.........AND NOT THE SLIGHTEST SCRATCH.......ALWAYS WORN BOOTS SINCE THEN

Morti

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
yep, shoe laces are the silent "killer" for sure. As are folded cuffs on docker style pants (no, you don't have to tell me how dumb it is to wear dockers on the bike. I did it once recently and it freaked me out the entire time.)

On Saturday I am FINALY buying a proper pair of riding pants. I may drop the cash on a pair of boots (no laces!!) while I'm there.