Tips for shaving/lowering the seat?

terry_b

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, as much as I enjoy the FZ6, I ended up with a newer FZ1. Easier to ride 2-up with wifey and a bit of a nicer bike overall.

Around the same time a friend had expressed interest in learning to ride... And we've arrived at a point where the FZ6 is basically hers (she's saving up the cash) and we're taking a ride at least once a week and she's advancing in skill pretty quickly - especially considering the clutch on this bike. I've lowered it already with the soupy's lowering shock end, but she's probably less than 1" from being able to solidly flat foot the bike.

(A related question - How far up are you guys moving the fork tubes? I've got it set at 10mm now, but maybe a bit more would be ok?)

This weekend, I'm looking into shaving the seat down. I was hesitant to go this route at first, but since she's pretty well decided to buy the bike I would like to get her more stable at a stop. I was looking for some tips/advice - I read through the threads I could find, but sadly most of them no longer have pictures. A few specific questions:

1) I've purchased one of these, my intention is really just to shave down the seat evenly and retain the same shape for the most part. Do I need to seal up the foam afterwards to prevent it from getting water logged?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00002X1ZH/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2) As far as shape, I want to retain the overall shape of the seat. I plan to give it less of a forward slope but other than that just shave it evenly down. How could I improve the shape further? Speaking specifically to a lady's ... ahem... anatomy... should I look at shaving down a bit of the sides of the seat as well? Or keep the overall flat w/rounded corners shape? She will likely be present so she will be able to provide feedback, the problem is that as a new rider she has no baseline to what she wants in a seat.

3) Glue the seat cover down or no?

Thanks for any help, it's much appreciated. Picture tax - I'm kinda digging pink on the bike!

qQIzbAJh.jpg

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Not the most helpful of responses - but if you can find some boots with thicker soles, that could make up some of the difference. I assume the Soupy mod is a traditional suspension lowering trick?

Last edited:

terry_b

Reaction score
Visit site
Soupy mod replaces the lower end of the shock. 30mm shorter, drops the bike a little over 1 inch. I've also got the preload set at minimum - but I wonder if a bit of preload would actually help the bike stay more stable during braking?

VF47Rtsl.jpg

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the seat cover is stapled back in place.

I would strongly suggest Spencers seats mod the seat.
He's not expensive and does excellent work with one day turn around.
He was familiar with the bike/seat and knows what area's generally need trimming.
I was comfy with the shape, so I passed with that.

I had mine done, just softened up, but he can lower the seat and you'll never see it..

Also, with lowering the forks, 10mms should be fine, don't know if I'd go further with the factory sag built in.

Once set, you may have to shorten the side stand as well (depending on how much lower it sits).

Spencers: Page 1

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If the tail dropped a whole inch (25mm) you should be safe to slide the stanchion tubes 20 - 25mm.

As a more experinced rider, take it for a spin and verify it doesnt get light or squirly in the nose >90mph on rough roads. If it does, settle for 20mm.

Rear preload is to be set by rider weight. Over 150lbs, add preload.

Ideally the sag front and rear should be 25 to 35mm. For a DD shoot towards the 35... adding extra oil to the forks will help the nose dive too.

Lastly, lowering it makes it easier to drag bits and boots. Watch her ride and make sure she keeps her toes tucked in on the corners!!!

Popeye70

Reaction score
Visit site
If the tail dropped a whole inch (25mm) you should be safe to slide the stanchion tubes 20 - 25mm.

My FZ6 was lowered 1" in the back and dropped 1" in the front. I had no problems with balance, wobbling, stance or anything else.

The biggest problem with lowering the bike 1" is the side stand. Mine was mechanically modified to keep a certain lean when parked. This mod is docmented in another thread.

--
Sent from the restaurant at the end of the universe, probably using a PC, an iPhone or an iPad.

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd take it to a shop and have them lower it by an inch across the board most likely. Straight forward and effective from what I've seen - a friend of mine got it done and he loves it now.

Popeye70

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd take it to a shop and have them lower it by an inch across the board most likely. Straight forward and effective from what I've seen - a friend of mine got it done and he loves it now.

That's how I did it. An authorized Yamaha shop did it for me. It cost me an arm and a leg, but that's Norway for you - everything is expensive. Hopefully you can get it a lot cheaper in your part of the world.

--
Sent from the restaurant at the end of the universe, probably using a PC, an iPhone or an iPad.