To powercommander, or not to powercommander ?

StarWing

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello Guys,

I am looking to replace the stock exhaust and also maybe the cat.

Is it neccesary to install a PC (or rapidbike) after this to readjust the bike's injection ? Some say no, some say yes.

You can put it otherwise, after buying a €900 exhaust, is the extra €350 worth the diffirence ?

What do you guys think about this ?
I have a 07 FZ6N

Last edited:

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the general consensus (based on my own search for this answer) is that if you remove the cat then it is more necessary than if you only replace the cans. High flow air filter or air box mod also suggests need for PC.

Just replacing the cans should not effect things so greatly that remapping is required based on the many threads I have read.

I have the Scorpions and do not plan to purchase a PC. The bike runs well in my opinion.

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
I came to the same conclusion as gmickey - just the cans probably don't need a PC, more than that and the PC starts to both make sense and become necessary. I just installed my Laser (no cat elim pipe) and haven't noticed any significant difference in how the bike runs - mostly looks and sound which is all I wanted out of the deal.

If you're after max power - obviously a PC with dyno tuning in addition to full exhaust and improvement on the intake side would be the way to go.

Neil

Hooligan
Reaction score
Visit site
A set of can's is wasted money, unless you fit a power commander.
All those who disagree have not tried a power commander, it is that simple.
Further than that, a power commander is cheaper than a set of cans and gives a better power increase, and loses that mid range flat spot.
Neil.

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That all depends on why you buy the cans. The FZ6 has plenty of power for me. I'm just looking for more noise. So does the PC with no cans give you that? No, I didn't think so :Flip:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A set of can's is wasted money, unless you fit a power commander.
All those who disagree have not tried a power commander, it is that simple.
Further than that, a power commander is cheaper than a set of cans and gives a better power increase, and loses that mid range flat spot.
Neil.
Will the power commander provide any benifit with the standard cans? I am happy with the noise and current power. I do find the mid range flat spot a bit annoying.

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
Coupled with some dyno time/tuning you should be able to get some gains even on a stock bike b/c they have to setup the stock maps to cover all the production variation vs your specific bike. You'd be essentially trading their design margin for performance based on knowledge of what you have. How big of a gain or whether it would fix your flat-spot I dunno.

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
You don't need it. Our engines can handle the change in backpressure. If you want a slight power increase, and you're willing to blow $700 on exhaust, you might as well spend the $ on the PC too.

Neil

Hooligan
Reaction score
Visit site
Will the power commander provide any benifit with the standard cans? I am happy with the noise and current power. I do find the mid range flat spot a bit annoying.
Yes, it will lose 95% of the flat spot, plus smoother transition from shut to open throttle.
Neil. :thumbup:

Neil

Hooligan
Reaction score
Visit site
That all depends on why you buy the cans. The FZ6 has plenty of power for me. I'm just looking for more noise. So does the PC with no cans give you that? No, I didn't think so :Flip:

Why would you just want more noise ??
There is no such thing as enough power :Flip:

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Why would you just want more noise ??
There is no such thing as enough power :Flip:

Then I suggest you go buy a Busa or Kawi Busa Killer. You will get double the HP of the FZ6. If that is not enough power for you, I suggest you buy a 500 HP exotic and find a way to mount it on a street bike frame :D

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Last time I checked the other makers hadn't released a 200 HP bike.

Those are not my personal choices, but based on HP these are the guys who are making the monster bikes.

Of course with the air box mod on your FZ6 - you may now have them both beat in the HP. ;)

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
Last time I checked the other makers hadn't released a 200 HP bike.

Those are not my personal choices, but based on HP these are the guys who are making the monster bikes.

Of course with the air box mod on your FZ6 - you may now have them both beat in the HP. ;)
game recognize game nigga!
It's all about the air :)