Clanking from exhaust on down rev - 08 fz6 s2

Agodnamedsin

Reaction score
Visit site
Howdy everyone! Just joined the community a few moments ago. I’m amidst a troubleshooting problem and was hoping some fellow Fz owners would answer my call. This Fz6 has 23k miles and is an 2008.

When revving my Fz6, you can hear a clanking noise after every blow off of the exhaust. To me, it seems the sound is resonating from the back end not front. Whatever this noise is, it’s consistent at the same rpm’s regardless of how high I rev. I know in video, sound is sound; but you can 100% hear it clearly after every single rev. Here is a video for reference.

The sound occurs whether or not the clutch is pulled. While I’m in gear and riding however I’ve noticed not any change of performance or ride. My best guesses currently are a clogged cat/leaking exhaust (since I swear so heavily it sounds back end) tensioner or potentially valves. I’ve also not replaced the sparks yet so I’m not sure if this could be misfire related.

Any help is extremely helpful! Gotta do some trouble shooting today!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to our great forum!
When you remove the exhaust and the bike is real loud, maybe you can't hear the sound over the higher exhaust decibals?
I believe those are straight through exhaust. There may be something wrong with the packing. Repacking might be a good idea.
My other theory is the sound may be disdain from your neighbors, manifesting as a vibration when you red line your motor. LOL!

Last edited:

Agodnamedsin

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to our great forum!
When you remove the exhaust and the bike is real loud, maybe you can't hear the sound over the higher exhaust decibals?
I believe those are straight through exhaust. There may be something wrong with the packing. Repacking might be a good idea.
My other theory is the sound may be disdain from your neighbors, manifesting as a vibration when you red line your motor. LOL!
So I took off the muffler, and didn’t hear the sound any longer regardless of the increase or volume! I am going to attempt to repack the mufflers next weekend and see how we are sounding after that. The steel wool in there was black and sorts frayed.