Tools for New FZ6S Owner

raj_27

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys as you might already know i bought FZ6S very recently, i had couple of issue s already. Not bikes fault its all mine. Left the park light on the bike and drained the battery. First time i had no clue had to call a mecanique he charged me 200 all up with a new battery. I did not learn and drained again yesterday,but push started the bike and its fine now.

Now i want to buy tools bits and pieces so i can look after, maintain and repair my own bike. What tools do you guys recommend? I have found from my experience if i buy tools one bye one as required i end up spending a lot of money,there for are there any sets you guys recommend? If someone tell me what sizes are required for the bike i will find a set which includes most of them.

My current list are:

Good Pressure Gauge
Small air compressor
Battery charger
Multimeter
Chain Lube

Thanks

Nobby

Reaction score
Visit site
G'day mate,I'd start with a Good quality 3/8 drive socket set,screw driver set,3/8 drive hex sockets(allen key in socket config) an oilfilter removal tool & if you can afford at the same time a 3/8 drive torque wrench :thumbup:

raj_27

Reaction score
Visit site
G'day mate,I'd start with a Good quality 3/8 drive socket set,screw driver set,3/8 drive hex sockets(allen key in socket config) an oilfilter removal tool & if you can afford at the same time a 3/8 drive torque wrench :thumbup:

Thanks Nobby,

Yamaha being Japanese i am assuming i need Metric sets right?

Also what sizes of socket,hex sockets, should cover most of the jobs?

2old2ride

Reaction score
Visit site
Here is an URL to an article on this topic;
The Buyer's Guide to Motorcycle Tools - BikeBandit.com

I don't buy sets any more. Here in the land of the big PX, they come with SAE and Metric tools. The SAE are wasted, since I only work (??? it's a labor of love, why call it work?) on my bike, which is Japanese. I am going down to Northern tools tomorrow to get a new torque wrench. Mine started making funny sounds while I was torqueing the motor mount bolts after mounting my frame sliders. There are some places were I might play fast and loose with torqueing bolts but the motor mounts are NOT one of them. Northern is selling a 3/8's 5 to 90 ft lbs torque wrench for $14.95, which is the best deal since Mae West passed 40.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
The tools I use the very most are a set of metric T-handle allen wrenches. May need to break a bolt loose, but once loose the T-handles are much quicker and will break small bolts loose. I locktight everything so always have to give it a little twist to break it loose but don't have to worry about bolts leaving when they want to - generally that is in the middle of nowhere!

Nobby

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Nobby,

Yamaha being Japanese i am assuming i need Metric sets right?

Also what sizes of socket,hex sockets, should cover most of the jobs?

Yes,metric & for the hex sockets,they will usually come in a set.The common sizes you will use are 2,4,5,6,8mm.For the normal sockets if you buy the 3/8drive set in metric,it will have all the sizes you need:thumbup: