Top case advice?

revisdog

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm a new rider (just started riding late last summer, and got my 2006 FZ6 in September). I use my bike to commute whenever possible, but Seattle rain puts a damper on that for much of the winter. I thought I would get a top case (big enough to hold my full-face helmet and rain gear), but I'm overwhelmed with the choices. When I've gone to some of the local cycle shops they don't even have any hard cases, so all I've got to go on are internet photos and user reviews. I don't have a rack yet - do specific cases require certain types of racks? What do you recommend? Givi? Shad? Kappa Moto? Something else? What size? Finally, what is the difference between "monokey" and "monolock"? Thanks for your input. I love this community.

jbwaterman84

Born to ride
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just got a Givi B47 Blade topcase on mine and love it. Im also located in Bothell WA just north of you if you would like to take a look at it.

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm a new rider (just started riding late last summer, and got my 2006 FZ6 in September). I use my bike to commute whenever possible, but Seattle rain puts a damper on that for much of the winter. I thought I would get a top case (big enough to hold my full-face helmet and rain gear), but I'm overwhelmed with the choices. When I've gone to some of the local cycle shops they don't even have any hard cases, so all I've got to go on are internet photos and user reviews. I don't have a rack yet - do specific cases require certain types of racks? What do you recommend? Givi? Shad? Kappa Moto? Something else? What size? Finally, what is the difference between "monokey" and "monolock"? Thanks for your input. I love this community.

Here's the difference between monkey & monolock: The difference between the Givi Monolock & Monokey technology

Oh btw, Welcome!! And don't let the rain stop you... especially if/when you get hard cases. I rode to and from work today in the rain with my suit jacket in my Givi soft saddlebag. Good luggage and quality rain gear help out tremendously!

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
Kappa is Givi's economy brand, the mounts are the same as the equivalent Givi mounts. Don't know if Kappa is available on North America, I've never seen them. Shad is a different company with different mounts. SW-Motech makes racks that can use either mount.

Givi is by far the most common brand, with Monokey being the more common platform between it and Monolock. Makes things easier if you want to buy used or ever plan to sell in the future.

I'd recommend to get the biggest case you can find, with Givi, either the E52 or E55. Any top case is going to be ugly as sin, so you might as well get the most practical one. I have an E52 and it fills up very quickly with just normal every day stuff. Couldn't imagine going smaller.

PS, if you keep an eye out, shouldn't be a problem finding a used top case for half off retail. The money that Givi charges for simple plastic box is obscene. I paid $170 for my E52 off Craigslist, then got the rack from my LBS

Pope Mobile

Von Skump
Reaction score
Visit site
I commute in Seattle (take the ferry even) and rain doesn't stop me. Just make sure you have lots of chain lube and good rain gear.
As for luggage, I just have a small magnetic tank bag for my Kindle and other such stuff. I have an expandable First Gear tail bag that can hold my full face helmet (size small) when expanded. I put it in upside down on top of my rain jacket and put my rain pants inside the helmet. Gloves and balaclava go in side pockets.
It actually holds out the rain very well even without the rain cover. My bike's been caught in rainfall without the cover on the bag and everything inside stayed dry.
Are you able to bring gear inside to where you work and let it dry?

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ive got a givi e36. The basic one that doesnt have the file holder or elastic straps. Its the perfect size for my helmet and room for other gear.

IndyFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Shad 45 liter top case with Shad mount. Bought them from my LBS about two years ago. The case is large enough to lay a full two piece suit, shirt and tie in it and not wrinkle them. Makes it nice for the commute. Quality seems fine so far.

revisdog

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, everyone, for the great feedback so far. I've been using soft saddle bags so far, and they've soaked up the rain, and even with the covers on them, rain pools inside the bottom of the covers. That's why I wanted a hard top case. I'm a hospice social worker who drives/rides to patients' homes all day, so I wanted something I could store my laptop and patient supplies. I haven't had much luck finding decent top cases on Craigslist in the Seattle area, but today I rode down to Vancouver, WA and picked up a used Givi Maxia E52. Got a good deal on it (I think). Now I just need to find a rack and mount. Does anyone know if there's a big difference between the racks that fit an '07 vs. an '06? I know some changes were made when the '07's came out. I found a used rack and mount that were on an '07, but I need to know if it will fit my '06.

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, everyone, for the great feedback so far. I've been using soft saddle bags so far, and they've soaked up the rain, and even with the covers on them, rain pools inside the bottom of the covers. That's why I wanted a hard top case. I'm a hospice social worker who drives/rides to patients' homes all day, so I wanted something I could store my laptop and patient supplies. I haven't had much luck finding decent top cases on Craigslist in the Seattle area, but today I rode down to Vancouver, WA and picked up a used Givi Maxia E52. Got a good deal on it (I think). Now I just need to find a rack and mount. Does anyone know if there's a big difference between the racks that fit an '07 vs. an '06? I know some changes were made when the '07's came out. I found a used rack and mount that were on an '07, but I need to know if it will fit my '06.

The Givi rack is the same, should be part #FZ351. Note, there are two inserts that go into the subframe that if I remember right are not removable. If the rack is used, you'll probably have to buy them.

It's the cone that fits into the larger tube, the cone is on the right in this picture, IMG_3717

DavesFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I have no interest in ever having hard side luggage, so I decided on the shad top master rack. It works on all models, as the only bolt points are under the seat and the pillion handles. Hard to find in the US though

Eta: I also have Leo Vince aftermarket exhaust and did not want to have to fabricate or move any parts under the tail to install a top rack.

Last edited:

revisdog

Reaction score
Visit site
The Givi rack is the same, should be part #FZ351. Note, there are two inserts that go into the subframe that if I remember right are not removable. If the rack is used, you'll probably have to buy them.

It's the cone that fits into the larger tube, the cone is on the right in this picture, IMG_3717

That is great info. Thank you so much! This whole group is helpful.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site

They are removable, but sometimes someone selling a used one won't remember to remove them. If removing them, you also have to be careful to not let the cone shaped piece fall into the subframe, otherwise you might need a long flexible magnet or grabber. Best bet is to unscrew the screw a half inch or so, then tap the head of the screw to dislodge it from the expanding piece, but still having the screw threaded into the cone piece.

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
They are removable, but sometimes someone selling a used one won't remember to remove them. If removing them, you also have to be careful to not let the cone shaped piece fall into the subframe, otherwise you might need a long flexible magnet or grabber. Best bet is to unscrew the screw a half inch or so, then tap the head of the screw to dislodge it from the expanding piece, but still having the screw threaded into the cone piece.

Good advice!

Will have to remember that if I ever take mine off

Cwwrig

Reaction score
Visit site
I mounted a Besteem top box on the givi rack made for the fz6. Besteem boxes are a great value because IMO Givi charges a premium for what is truly just a plastic box. The mounting plate had to be modified a little (drill new holes in it). I've had my box mounted for a year without a problem.