TPS or pulse coil?

Goodmango

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I am experiencing the famed 2004 TPS issue. But the thing is, the TPS recall was only for North American and European bikes. The bikes weren't recalled in the Asian market. (I'm in Korea)
Here are the symptoms: Every now and then (becoming more frequent) the idle will drop from it's usual 1260-1320 way down to 800-1000, once as low as 600-700. But if I shut the key right off then back on again the issue is usually rectified temporarily, although this quick fix is starting to become less effective. But when I run the Diagnostic test the numbers seem ok 15-100...
My mechanic checked the error codes and said there was one for TPS and one for the crank shaft sensor or pulse coil...
He cleared the errors and told me to come back a day or two later to recheck the codes. My mechanic's English is about as good as my Korean (not great) so I'm hoping you guys have some advice... The TPS is $170 here so don't really want to order one if it isn't the problem...

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
I've never heart of that pulse coil issue, it's probably a TPS issue.
Contact with local Yamaha for the recall.

By the way i'm in Istanbul / Turkey, i am not sure if i am in asia or europe according to Yamaha, you know we are in the middle. But Yamaha changed my 2004 Tps right away.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If Yamaha doesn't step up and replace it, many a bikes are being parted out from wrecks, etc. Look in the "for sale" section or post a WTB. You'll get it dirt cheap..

Agreed, it sounds like a TPS. See what codes your mechainic brings up since he did the re-set..

BTW, you have to check all the #'s inbetween as well, not just the high and low #.

All #'s need to be there, no skipping, etc.

Check it HOT when the bikes acting up, it may very well make a difference and confirm the TPS failed..

Last edited:

Goodmango

Reaction score
Visit site
If Yamaha doesn't step up and replace it, many a bikes are being parted out from wrecks, etc. Look in the "for sale" section or post a WTB. You'll get it dirt cheap..

Agreed, it sounds like a TPS. See what codes your mechainic brings up since he did the re-set..

BTW, you have to check all the #'s inbetween as well, not just the high and low #.

All #'s need to be there, no skipping, etc.

Check it HOT when the bikes acting up, it may very well make a difference and confirm the TPS failed..

Hey thanks for the replies. I have run the test when hot and when the problem is happening with no result. The numbers are always good. I slowly twisted the throttle to check it the whole way through and it seemed fine. My bike dropped to 700 RPM yesterday morning so I went back to the shop after work. No error codes were recorded. Is it still possible that it is the TPS?

Goodmango

Reaction score
Visit site
I've never heart of that pulse coil issue, it's probably a TPS issue.
Contact with local Yamaha for the recall.

By the way i'm in Istanbul / Turkey, i am not sure if i am in asia or europe according to Yamaha, you know we are in the middle. But Yamaha changed my 2004 Tps right away.

Hey thanks for the input. I think in Turkey you would get the European model. I believe the Asian bike really means the Japanese version, which is exported to Korea and maybe S.E.A. Unfortunately there are no Yamaha dealers that I can find in Korea. Just a Yamaha certified mechanic who told me there was never a TPS recall...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, it could still be the TPS.

Here's the web site here in the states:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues

I know your not in the US but the re-call is clearly shown once you put your bikes information in there. There should also be a phone # to call Yamaha Corp (likely a different # from where you are) but certainly worth a try.

Short of the immobilizer, most of the rest of the bike is the same (speeometer/kilometer different obviously) but the TPS and engine parts are pretty much the same.

I seriously doubt Yamaha had good TPS's that went to your country and put the bad ones on ours.. They were likely all bad or a very large, bad batch of them... My 04 FJR was one of the re-called bikes (but mine never acted up)

In the top of the "Tech Section" is a thread about the TPS, how it can act up, etc...

Goodmango

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, it could still be the TPS.

Here's the web site here in the states:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues

I know your not in the US but the re-call is clearly shown once you put your bikes information in there. There should also be a phone # to call Yamaha Corp (likely a different # from where you are) but certainly worth a try.

Short of the immobilizer, most of the rest of the bike is the same (speeometer/kilometer different obviously) but the TPS and engine parts are pretty much the same.

I seriously doubt Yamaha had good TPS's that went to your country and put the bad ones on ours.. They were likely all bad or a very large, bad batch of them... My 04 FJR was one of the re-called bikes (but mine never acted up)

In the top of the "Tech Section" is a thread about the TPS, how it can act up, etc...

Thanks for the link but it didn't recognize my serial number. Mine starts with JYARJ........ Which I think is a whole different series of numbers. I'm guessing the American site doesn't have records for Japanese registered bikes. I might just order the TPS, get it installed and cross my fingers!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site