Transporting small children on a motorcycle

Luiz

Reaction score
Visit site
When I was around 4-5. I use to ride with my Dad. I would sit in the front and grab that handlebars and control the throttle at times,He would do the rest sitting behind me.

I always had a blast and is probably the reason I love motorcycles.

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
I would't use that thing. I've seen a belt-type thing with handles on it for them to hold on better, and I don't really see a problem with that. SC law says they just have to be old enough to hold on BEHIND the driver.

Let's see:
-My 1 year old girl doesn't like motorcycles...We're going to have to fix that...

-My 3 year old girl has ridden to the end of the neighborhood & back. She's just not big enough yet.

-My 5 year old son rides for a few miles is all. I just don't have the confidence he'd hold on well enough, and he doesn't quite know what to do yet. He does have 3 years experience of riding his own dirtbike though. Would I take him to kindergarten it? Probably, as long as it isn't more then 5 minutes or so 1-way.

-My 8 year old loves to ride, but he's physically not my larger than my 5 year old, and I just don't have the confidence in his holding on for a big ride. He does pretty well, and he's ridden for a little while. He started riding dirtbikes when he was 4.

-My 10 year old is my favorite pillion! He's small enough that I don't even know he's back there, and he does great at leaning with me thru the corners. No wiggling around either. he's been riding dirtbikes since he was 4. I enjoy riding sportingly with him, as he does too.

-My 12 year old is a good passenger too. He wiggles a little too much though. I have very high confidence that he knows what to do in most situations, and I don't mind riding sportingly with him. he got his first dirtbike when he was 5.

When my oldest was about 8, we went for a 2 hour ride in the mtns. on my dad's Shadow, and he fell asleep about 3 minutes before we got back to the house. Thank goodness for a backrest! That was pretty freaky, and has made me make sure to limit my ride length with the smaller ones...

You just love changing those dipers, don't you? :D

Seriously; How on earth do you manage to ride AT ALL with six kids under your belt??

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
My 10 year old Daughter loves to ride with me. I take her to softball practice, and around town with me every now an then. She has a helmet, gloves, and a Jacket. I also make her wear jeans and her hiking boots. She wants to ride more, but I am still not sure she for that matter I am ready for her to ride longer. I really enjoy the time, but I am still concerned for her safety. I make her put her hands in my jacket pockets. It is easier for me to feel that she is holding on, and gives her sort of a handle as well. For that matter, it helps to keep her hands warm.

S

somedayrider

i started riding at the age of 7 and im 12 now and never almost fell off i think it just matters what aage

W

wrightme43

Trin likes to use the grab handles on the side. She has a backrest.
On the whole falling off note, I have never heard of anyone just falling off a bike. You can get blown off by going to fast, or thrown off by the rider doing crazy stuff, but you are pretty much stuck to the bike. I know every kid is different, I have just never felt anything but just fine with Trinity on there with me. The only problem I have is she keeps telling me she wants to go fast. She likes the lean angle, and she likes the accel. Its all kept down to a minimum cause she is on there but she is a great passenger.

yamaha rider87

Reaction score
Visit site
personally I don't let anyone ride on the back because I don't want the guilt if something goes wrong, but as for others I would say once a kid is old enough and big enough to reach the pegs, wear all the gear, and respect how dangerous it can be if *&^% happens, which is a different age for every kid, then they are good to go :rockon:

RyanK

Reaction score
community.webshots.com
You just love changing those dipers, don't you? :D

Seriously; How on earth do you manage to ride AT ALL with six kids under your belt??

lol. Wife changes diapers, not me :D Seriously, I've only changed a handful of bad ones... :spank:

Almost all my riding time is spent commuting. I average 220-300 miles per week. It'll be 2 in July, & I already turned 19k miles! I get about 1 or 2 fun rides (w/ the guys) in per month in the summer. Wife and I try to go out every Friday night, and we take the bike when we can. They aren't usually long trips though. I take the kids for rides on a nice day sometimes, but weekend seattime is usually spent on dirtbikes. You oughta see my shed ;)

Kamloops

JoeDanger.com
Reaction score
www.joedanger.com
Family-on-motorcycle-Herat.jpg

Soap

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm near enough 20 now and I've been on bikes for as long as I have been able to reach the footpegs, I very much doubt if I had never been on a bike I wouldn't love them as much as I do.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I found this by chance, and figured I wanted to ask you lot if anyone has any experience transporting relatively small children on their bikes.

09907001.jpg

I find it intriguing, as I am the one transporting our daughter to kindergarden every morning. As of now, I have to take the car, deliver her, come back home and park the car, dress up for motorcycling and go to work.

Still, I think it's quite risky transporting children before the age of 7-8, but what do you guys think? Especially with a solution as described in the picture.

Cheeers,

Capo

Well it makes a great back protector :thumbup:

I take the kids to school twice a week and it's a pain having to drive (or bicycle ride) home again get all my gear on and then set off for work, but I've got 2 kids so it's not an option. ( I'm luckily fortunate enough not to have to put my whole family on the bike, like those other pics).

My eldest has just turned 7 but I know it will still be several years before I even think of letting her on the back of the bike (and then only with full gear).

I think the law in Holland is crazy if your child is shorter than 1,35 meters then they have to be in a special seperate childs seat in the back of your car, but apart from having to wear a helmet there are no limitations on the age of a kid on a bike:confused:.

Rustykfd

Reaction score
Visit site
My wife and I do use the child riding belt (as pictured) with our 5 yr old son.

Our experiences have been positive. We have done some 160 mile days. It is more of a insurance item than to look at it as holding him on all the time. The issue we have had is he falls asleep. When he starts falling asleep, I can feel it and as soon as the nodding starts, it's time to stop and rest.

You have to find the right balance of the risks of your actions vs. the benefits you get, and make your own choice

My wife and I choose to ride with our boys (5 & 7) instead of sitting on the couch, or taking the cage.

I like the CRB.

Rusty

Bates121

B l a c k L e a d e r
Reaction score
Visit site
"Transporting small children on a motorcycle"

I find three is the maximum number of small children, but only two if they are medium size children. Couple of bungies are enough to secure them across the back of the seat. If any of the children are family members then a third bungie is a good idea as partners get upset if you loose any.

Just remember when filtering that the feet and heads are sticking out so you can't get through such narrow gaps without possibly knocking a wing mirror or two, which may upset car drivers.

Cooking tip:- I find marinated over a low flame for a few hours retains the flavour.

What did you smoke for lunch?

Whatever your smoking please share lol:rockon::rockon: