Trip report: North American Loop (24 days, 12,000km)

lukaledoux

Reaction score
Visit site
Also, here is a clip of me bypassing some bison that were blocking the road in Grasslands National Park. The road was gravely with loose rock and was very tough to navigate. These two bison had settled right next to it and were preventing me from driving past. The ranger had warned me to give them their space as they could charge if they are threatened. In a car you wouldn't be too concerned but on your bike you're pretty vulnerable.

I decided to go around them in the field, but it was pretty sketchy. It was totally bumpy and filled with holes from the prairie dog colonies. You'll notice I stand up on the footpegs for better control and view of the bison. It doesn't seem close in the clip because of the wide angle lense but it was probably 50 feet or so. It got really intense when they both stood up as I got close...

watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udKq_lcAjW4&feature=youtu.be

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't get over how awesome your camping cocoon is, I'm glad there's a shot of it in action because I wasn't sure how it worked

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I noticed the gopro mount on your mirror in your video. How does the video turn out with it mounded there? The vibrations aren't bad, are they?

markgm

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like an awesome trip. I started planning my 4th cross country trip and seeing some of your photos got me wishing August was here already! I'm surprised you did 2 oil changes, I usually go 7500 miles between changes as it is, but maybe I'm in the minority.

lukaledoux

Reaction score
Visit site
I noticed the gopro mount on your mirror in your video. How does the video turn out with it mounded there? The vibrations aren't bad, are they?

Surprisingly the video turned out really well. The added weight of the gopro changes the resonant frequency of the mirror meaning it doesn't buzz when its attached. I did however from time to time, hold on the to tip of the mirror while filming because it would jump slightly from cracks or bumps in the road.

Looks like an awesome trip. I started planning my 4th cross country trip and seeing some of your photos got me wishing August was here already! I'm surprised you did 2 oil changes, I usually go 7500 miles between changes as it is, but maybe I'm in the minority.

I do my oil changes about every 5000 km, which is about 3000 miles. It spews out pretty dark and black but I just always thought that was the general consensus for oil changes :confused:

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I do my oil changes about every 5000 km, which is about 3000 miles. It spews out pretty dark and black but I just always thought that was the general consensus for oil changes :confused:
It's dark if it's doing its job but the oil still has some time to go before ti breaks down on the molecular level