Need Help Turn signal not working after wash

SwayerS2

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

New to this forum, but seeking some help! Couple of weeks ago I bought an 2008 Fazer6 S2. It already had working led-turn signals when I bought it.
They worked just fine. But after I washed the bike and the whole bike became wet, I noticed the turn signals not working correctly anymore.

First when I turned them on, they stayed mostly solidly lit, with a small amount of pulsing. But after waiting a day they completely stopped working. They only give a very small first blip after which they are completely dead.
The same happens with the dashboard signal, it had the exactly same behaviour as the signals themselves.

I searched for the turn signal relais (the small black cube), but it is not in the front left fairing and I didn't see it beneath the fuel tank! So now I don't know how to diagnose this problem.

So please, if anyone has any advise, that would be amazing!

Cheers!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to our great forum!
The relay is usually mounted very low on the inner inside very lowest edge of the front front fairing. Left side as you'r sitting on the bike.
When you put on the 4 way flasher do you see the same result? The 4 way and turn signal use the same flasher relay.

SwayerS2

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, thanks for the response.
Hm, I did take of the fairing but will check again.

Yes, when I put on the hazards it's the same.

Do you think it's the fuse? Or could it be something else?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, thanks for the response.
Hm, I did take of the fairing but will check again.

Yes, when I put on the hazards it's the same.

Do you think it's the fuse? Or could it be something else?
The fact that you're getting any light function probably means the fuse is active. sounds like a failed flasher relay but it never hurts to go through the wiring to be sure there isn't a problem. If there are LEDs there could be a problem with load resistors if there are load resistor, get rid of them and buy an electronic flasher relay.

SwayerS2

Reaction score
Visit site
This is what I see when I remove the left black fairing, it's not here. Should it be somewhere deeper in the bike? Or might it be possible the previous owner placed the relais on a different spot?

Attachments

• P_20220516_121733.jpg
    P_20220516_121733.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8

SwayerS2

Reaction score
Visit site
I found it! It was behind the seat fairing indeed! And now, I should test if it still functions, I suppose! What and how should I do this? Do I need to measure something?

This is the one that is mounted right now:

(sorry if this already answered, then feel free to send me a link!)

Attachments

• P_20220517_110059.jpg
    P_20220517_110059.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 9

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think there's some relays under the left "Pod" (the thing right below the seat). RS has some electrical stuff under there as well. Check fuses as well..

View attachment 74973

View attachment 74974

View attachment 74975
I found it! It was behind the seat fairing indeed! And now, I should test if it still functions, I suppose! What and how should I do this? Do I need to measure something?

This is the one that is mounted right now:

(sorry if this already answered, then feel free to send me a link!)

I've seen the manual call out the flasher relay in that seat pod under the seat but it has always been found under the left side of the front fairing unless it was a converted/naked bike. Usually mounted in the front of the bike.
Maybe because it's manufactured for other than US countries? Or it may be that the bike was modified. That flasher relay you linked should be a 2 pin. not a 3 pin but the plug is a 3 pin that only used 2 pins.
The relay has one lead that gets power from the fuse block and one lead that goes to the directional switch that provides a path to the LED, incandescent lamp or load. If you unplug the flasher you should be able to test the plug coming from the bike harness to see with pin has +12 vdc. The other wire would then be the load side. If you put a jumper across those 2 pins on the harness plug and turn the key on, you should see the a turn signal light steady when the you choose left or right turn on the switch.
This could help you eliminate the flasher as the problem. Flasher relays for our bikes come in basic 2 categories the factory(electro mechanical?) which are finicky when it comes to lamp load or electronic flasher which are tolerant of a much wider variation of load.

Here's a possibility that may be a cause of the malfunctioning directionals. This occurred after a wash. Water may have gotten into the turn signal switch and caused a problem. It's likely the flasher but if not it could be the switch.

SwayerS2

Reaction score
Visit site
I've seen the manual call out the flasher relay in that seat pod under the seat but it has always been found under the left side of the front fairing unless it was a converted/naked bike. Usually mounted in the front of the bike.
Maybe because it's manufactured for other than US countries? Or it may be that the bike was modified. That flasher relay you linked should be a 2 pin. not a 3 pin but the plug is a 3 pin that only used 2 pins.
The relay has one lead that gets power from the fuse block and one lead that goes to the directional switch that provides a path to the LED, incandescent lamp or load. If you unplug the flasher you should be able to test the plug coming from the bike harness to see with pin has +12 vdc. The other wire would then be the load side. If you put a jumper across those 2 pins on the harness plug and turn the key on, you should see the a turn signal light steady when the you choose left or right turn on the switch.
This could help you eliminate the flasher as the problem. Flasher relays for our bikes come in basic 2 categories the factory(electro mechanical?) which are finicky when it comes to lamp load or electronic flasher which are tolerant of a much wider variation of load.

Here's a possibility that may be a cause of the malfunctioning directionals. This occurred after a wash. Water may have gotten into the turn signal switch and caused a problem. It's likely the flasher but if not it could be the switch.
Thank you for the big explanation. Luckily it was nothing big! Today I replaced the relais and it fixed the problem! All is well now.

Thanks for the help.

Now I'm fighting the next problem, which is wheel disallignemt. The dealer doesn't now where the problem lies. But I measured using the 'thread against backwheel to front wheel' and did measure a difference between left and right. Although the backwheel has the same bars at the swing arm.
Do you by chance have any experience with this?
(this requires its own thread though)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Good job!
When you measure to the front wheel can you change the steering geometry and change the measurement?
This might help.
I've always used this method after seeing all the variations that can occur and I think the engine to frame and then chain to engine should be the primary alignment. We can go into all the different ideas on this in another thread and try using the search on the forum as there have been a few threads on this subject.