Undergoing D2S Retrofit

JakeKo

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

I'm not going to go into how to do this because there is a member that has already explained this to the community. My headlight is slightly different; shape and form, but for the most part I'm just sharing what I'm up to. I figure you guys would oogle over this more than anyone else I know.

If you guys have any questions, please ask. I'm not an expert at this stuff, but I know what I'm doing and it's fairly straight-forward.

So, here's what I am working with.
picture.php

Here's a similar headlight and what I'd like to do.
picture.php

Kind of a pain in the butt pealing apart the shield from the base in the oven. Don't have a picture of it because I'm so embarrassed about it.
Here's the shroud I ordered. It's the Apollo 2.0 I think. Plan is to drill out the fake nipples and put 5mm 12v LEDs in each hole.
picture.php

Drilled out the holes with a 13/64 drill bit. Absolutely perfect size for the 5mm LEDs.
picture.php

Painting the shroud and the cut-off piece orange because I like orange and it's a good contrast between my "faster blue" bike color.
picture.php

Put the LEDs in to get a good idea what it will look like. I love it.
picture.php

Here's a good picture of what it was I painted.
picture.php

Kind of a bad reference picture, but the lens will really pop when it's sunny outside and sitting in a parking spot. It looks really cool. I think it's called "Demon Eyes".
picture.php

Shroud and the Projector after paint
picture.php

Shroud on the Projector with the LEDs on. I think I'ma like this very, very much!
picture.php

A little teaser of it in the headlight. BTW, I did not have to do any cutting of any sort in order to fit the backside of the Projector into the base of the headlight. I did need to cut off a small alignment notch, but that was no big deal.
picture.php

Gotta paint the chrome black!
picture.php

Projector tease inside the headlight.
picture.php

Sealing her up. I used clear silicon RTV. Really packed it in there. I don't want any leaks.
picture.php

Another teaser with the LEDs on.
picture.php

I'm going to be out for the weekend. I'm driving down to Arizona to see my buddy and we're going to the Waste Management Open in Scottsdale. Cannot wait!

Have to wait for the RTV to dry anyways. I will probably get back to it Monday when I return. Hopefully will get it done then as well. Along with the wiring and everything else. Can't wait to see the result.

Thanks for reading/looking guys. I hope you like it. I'll update this when I get back in town and let you guys see how it turned out.

Jake

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
I did this and didn't do a writeup - two things:

1. Lube up/adjust the high beam shutter. They tend to get stuck, I haven't taken mine back apart and re-lubed it but my high beam will stick until I rev up to around 7krpms - not really the end of the world. With all of the paint you put on that mechanism you'll want to make sure that it all still moves.

2. I had to put a small extension (roughly 1'') on the mounts for my headlight so that the back of the headlight socket didn't come in contact with the front of the frame. I just used a couple of extra bolts, locktite and 1-2'' pieces of flat steel with holes drilled in them.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks awesome! Your FZ now has a robot's head! :thumbup:

I did the writeup with the Infinity FX35 projectors in my FZ6. Great mod, the best you can do to a bike I think. Those Morimoto D2S's are decent for their size, I've worked with them several times.

dev_usc

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
looks great.... can you share the model number and where you purchased the hid projector...

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
looks great.... can you share the model number and where you purchased the hid projector...

Vishnu,

It looks the same as my projector and shroud, so I guess it's a Morimoto Miní D2S projector. The shroud is a GTI-R version.

Grtz,

Degake

Sent from my iPad with Tapatalk Pro

JakeKo

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok guys. All finished! I'm happy. Need to align the output, but I think it's probably close enough for now.

Hope you guys like it.

picture.php

picture.php

JakeKo

Reaction score
Visit site
Kind of bad quality and not idealy the place to align a headlight, but it was already pretty darn close to perfect for me. Here are a couple output pics.

Low Beam
picture.php

High Beam
picture.php

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
makes me want to do a duel retro on the fz!

and then spend the coin on a newer style clear lens for my wind so i can do it too!

sad part is that i have some morimoto's allready that were supposed to go in my truck and my car. i have allready put the third set in her car!