unwanted sound appeared after service

Chingado

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey..

on Monday i had my fz-6 fazer '06 on 10000km service. On my way home i noticed a buzzing sound from the engine area that pitches in accordance with the speed (not the revs) and it is felt as a tiny high frequency vibration through all of the bike.

Since the sound is pitched in accordance with increased speed, it appears to be originating from the chain, or drive sprockets or something related to these parts... Could some damaged bearings make this sound?

I can mention that I got the back tire changed to a new one. My mileage is about 9500 km so I would imagine that few components should be worn out at this stage??

my chain's tightness is as specified in the user manual (45-55mm with back wheel elevated) so too tight a chain can be ruled out...

Thanks for any answers!

Last edited:

Chingado

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, I have allready done this, and they came to the same conclusion as I, that it originates from the drive set; chain, sprockets, wheel- or crankshaft-bearings etc.) but they bet most on the front drive sprocket.

But I am still insecure. :confused:

The funny thing is that this sound appeared right after the service! It was not present on the way to the dealer as I can remember. And the only big installment was an uncomplicated Metzeler z6 back tire change...

So now as a first solution the dealer shall change the drive set into a new one...:(

Chingado

Reaction score
Visit site
Well the tire is a metzeler roadtec z6 and it looks like this:

METZELER - Metzeler: Catalogue - Roadtec Z6

The sound does not originate from the tire since the sound is present when you spin the back wheel of the ground with motor power. Also then you hear the same sound...:confused:
i'm really not sure which component could make this sound.. Is it possible to damage the wheel bearing when you dismount and\or mount the wheel?

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would say the chain is shot, or is rubbing on something. It could also not be aligned properly and binding. Spin the back tire by hand and have a helper start tracing the sound. You say tension is correct; then is the plastic guide on the top of the swing arm near the drive sprocket worn down and rubbing on the swing arm? That could cause a weird vibration. The dealer could have damaged the rear wheel bearings too, if they pounded in the axle too hard.

Just some ideas, hope they help.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a strange whistling noise coming from my FZ6 right after I replaced my windshield with a Puig unit. I had also just done a service (installing synthetic oil), so I was quite concerned that something was amiss. I'm a certified Automotive Technician, so immediately began a process of elimination. I was confident that a simple oil change wasn't the problem, so I swapped the OEM windscreen back, but the strange whistling noise was still there. After putting the Puig screen back on, I spent an hour or so riding up and down the freeway, trying to nail down where the whistling noise was coming from.
I finally found it. I had also just bought a new RF-1000 helmet. When I closed the front chin vent (the air was a bit cool) the whisling noise disappeared.:eek:
My apologies for piggy-backing this story to the OP's, but they say confession is good for the soul. :D

In answer to Chingado's question, I would suggest that the new tire could be the source of the noise. If you are really concerned, reinstall the old tire to see if the noise disappears.
Another possibility is that the rear wheel may be slightly misaligned...this would most certainly cause a noise in the chain/sprocket.

Chingado

Reaction score
Visit site
hey folks!

I did some research and it seems like the chain touches the outer wall of the teeth of the front sprocket when it does the loop. I have loosened the chain tension and tried to align the wheel more so that the chain doesn't touch the teeth's outer wall, and the sound has become weaker, but still there is some buzzing.... But I guess a drive set is meant to make some noise:)

B

bluenova

I had the same whining noise after my first rear-tire change. I thought it sounded like the chain was too tight, but it seemed ok. The sound went away after a while (few 100 km). I'm no mechanic but thought it might be the chain settling in again?

gt89stang393

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all, I just had my bike inspected today and had the chain adjusted, and I have a buzzing sound coming from the front sprocket area that is only there when there is a load on the engine. Neutral and clutch in and there is nothing, only when torque is being applied to the chain. The bike is running fine, no performance issues. Since the chain was adjusted today, could this possibly be from the chain being too tight? I plan on ordering the 15T front sprocket on Monday anyway along with the speedohealer, but this caught be off guard today.

Thank you all

S

sportrider

check your chain tension, it's actually better to be a little loose then to tight.
(when I say "a little loose" I don't mean about to fall off, I'm just talking about the loose end of the spectrum.) a over tightened chain will eat the sprockets and cause undue fatigue to the chain rollers as well as excessive friction and noise. a loose chain will make the bike a little jerky at low speed.

OkieDavid

Reaction score
Visit site
Never done it on a bike but I've done the following MANY times on gear drive sets....

1. Coat the gear teeth with some thick lithium grease (lithium because it's white and shows up visually very well) and slowly roll the rear tire until the gear set makes a complete revolution.
2. Examine the gear teeth AND chain links to determine where the chain contact points are.
3. If the chain is contacting more on one side than the other, adjust the rear tire accordingly. Those alignment ticks are pretty small and it would be easy to have it slightly out of alignment. Note: It could also be a caused by a warped or misaligned rear sprocket so don't discount that possibility.
4. If the uneven wear is on the front sprocket it could be misaligned (most likely) or warped (less likely). Remove the front sprocket and make sure the mating surfaces are clean and debris free, re-install front sprocket using care to ensure that you "wiggle" the sprocket with your hand as you tighten until you can't move it any more.

To check for a warped sprocket- remove the sprocket and lay it against a flat piece of steel bar stock (even a sideways flat file would work) and examine the sprocket from center to edge around the entire sprocket and from side to side.

Last edited:

gt89stang393

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello again, I checked the chain tension and it was on the tight side, so I slightly loosened the chain and the noise is still there, I did concentrate on it more and it sounds like a vibration which follows engine rpm in all gears. The noise is coming from the left side of the bike, sounds like the clutch/sprocket area. Looks like I will be needing to take it back to the dealer. I pulled the front sprocket cover and checked everything there, everything is the way it should be. I just wish I could find the issue. I forgot to add that I was riding pretty hard after the inspection and the sound started during that time frame.

Thank you,
Eric

gt89stang393

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, dealer couldn't find anything wrong with the bike. That being said I am putting on the 15T front sprocket and speedohealer I just bought, I can't wait!

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
it is possible it was there before however i know with me anyway after i do something to my bike i listen alot closer to make sure everything sounds right. just like if you take your car in for tires and you hear a new noise you tend to freak out a lil.... but could possibly be the chain and sprockets...

jmagilto

Reaction score
Visit site
Bringing this back from the dead. My bike makes this sound too. its a 2004 i picked up recently w/ 2500 miles on it. At first I thought the bike had a bad wheel bearing.... but....on inspection

It looks to me like the bottom of the chain contacts the top of the rubberized/plastic guard on the forward section of the swing arm - the contact is on the top of the swing arm where the chain goes into the covered area of the front sprocket.

Like the previous poster - I checked my chain tension - and tightening the chain reduced the sound slightly - but it is remains a noticeable contact.

The sound/vibration of the bike making this sound is - well - not satisfying - and I suspect could by why the PO sold the machine. I am not so sure this is correct.

I did see another thread about the chain rubbing the guard - with lots of great pics - but no definitive resolution.....

Tonight I think I will play with rear tire alignment - but I post this question in the hope someone may have already seen and resolved this issue.....

wrlomas

Reaction score
Visit site
Use a short section of pipe to isolate the noise. Hold one end close to your ear and carefully hold the end near the driveline. You can touch the end of the pipe to the cover on the front sproket and figure out if it is the location. Be cautious around moving parts and the pipe works like a stethascope.

tomari

Just a custom user title!
Reaction score
Visit site
you just need to find the correct tension of your chain and it will stop. its not a matter of alignment. its the tension. there is a golden spot that makes it not to "waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang" "waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang"
: )