Up close with an FZ8 today....

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
All I can say is wow. They have upgraded the piss out of it from the FZ6.

The engine is all new.

The brakes are dual piston and cover way more surface area. The rotors are huge. Same for rear. Massive rotor.

The forks are thicker and look much more capable mechanically than what the FZ6 has. Huge difference visually. Plus they are upside down from what we have.

The swingarm is a MASSIVE upgrade as it looks spot on like a current generation R6 swingarm.

Brake lines are still rubber hose, but that's easily fixed.

And the plastic looks so awesome on the faired one. It has this new layout and separate piece on the sides that looks very nice. The seat is closer to an R1 seat in that it is flatter and has separate rider/passenger area separated by a plastic area and a rise. Still looks comfy, especially if you upgrade it to something like a TS seat.

The handlebars are nice and straight like the FZ1 bars, which is a big plus.

I was extremely impressed. It is like an FZ6 that is mechanically upgraded in nearly every way. It is a far superior machine, yet retains the characteristic seating position and comfort. They are spot on with this model.

The sales guy alluded to the possibility that the FZ1 may eventually be discontinued for an 1100 or 1200cc model. That struck me as odd, since they have the FJR already. They could just scrap the FZ1 altogether and have a choice of FZ8 vs FJR. I don't know, that's just me speculating.

P.S. The thing is bloody beautiful. I saw a naked one today too and got a chubby. The curvy headers, the sweet headlight, the engine bits and covers for everything ALL being black....it was so damned hot. Hot hot hot hot.

Last edited:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They had a naked @ Alberta Cycle and a faired at Argyll Motorsports.

The faired at Argyll was on the showroom floor by the door. Blue.

The naked was in the garage with the front half of it missing and dangling from a crane hung from the ceiling. I think they were assembling it.

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When you say the engine is all new, you understand it's a sleeved down FZ1 yeah, with a few other mods. FZ1 frame, basically it's a de-tuned and revised FZ1 rather than an evolution of the FZ6.

I think we'd see a crossplane 1000cc engine in it (ie current R1 donk) before they go to a 1200cc screamer.

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ8 may be upgraded in some areas, but how is the performance compared to the FZ6? On paper it doens't look like a winner, but don't know how it stacks up on the street. The markets for the FZ1 and FJR are completely different and have little to none overlap. An upgraded F1 is not going to cut into FJR sales.

yamahaha

that guy is fast
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ8 may be upgraded in some areas, but how is the performance compared to the FZ6? On paper it doens't look like a winner, but don't know how it stacks up on the street. The markets for the FZ1 and FJR are completely different and have little to none overlap. An upgraded F1 is not going to cut into FJR sales.

+1. the fjr and fz1 are two totally different rides. granpappy rides the fjr. The one my dads friend has doesnt even have a clutch.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know what the FJR is all about, and I guess the FZ1 is going to be infinitely more nimble than the FJR....but I am talking about a potential upgrade to 1300cc's for the FZ1....that thing will lose tons of maneuvrability if it gets that hefty. That's why I speculated just dropping the thing and having FZ8 and FJR as the lineup.

But I agree that FZ8, FZ11, and FJR would make a lovely trio.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What a time for my camera to have gotten busted. BD will confirm when he goes out there. They might have a faired as well at Alberta Cycle I think too, but I didn't see one.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
it would be great to see some real life pictures, It is looking like i may be taking a trip to NS at the end of the summer, so i might have to seek out a Yamaha dealership and try to smuggle it back with me... or at least look at one.

Senior

My brother is Junior
Reaction score
Visit site
it happened for me the weekend before last . . . :thumbup:

even better in the flesh, so much so I'd even consider going NAKED . . . . awesome bike :D

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Coming into the city back from a 480km ride today when the skies opened up, no where to go but Argyll Motorsports just around the corner. How convenient and I had my camera with me. Here are some pics, enjoy!

LOL, and Lone was hanging out there too. :D

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
I especially like the black naked one with the gold forks and gold FZ8 emblem on the tank. That looks pretty amazing. I'd like to see them come out with an R spec version of this with adjustable suspension, braided brake lines, and upgraded discs/calipers.

EDIT: "Do these come with radial brakes stock or the standard kit?" Nevermind, saw in the pics that no radial brakes on this bike. That would be a nice upgrade to have as well.

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
I especially like the black naked one with the gold forks and gold FZ8 emblem on the tank. That looks pretty amazing. I'd like to see them come out with an R spec version of this with adjustable suspension, braided brake lines, and upgraded discs/calipers.

EDIT: "Do these come with radial brakes stock or the standard kit?" Nevermind, saw in the pics that no radial brakes on this bike. That would be a nice upgrade to have as well.
wow.. those mods you have mentioned are excellent especially if intending to bring it for some fun on the tracks.