Upshifting from 1st to 2nd gear

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
You can adjust the free play at the throttle grip(plastic adjusters), or by the throttle bodies themselves. Be sure you adjust the throttle side and not the return side.

The manual calls for 3 to 5mm of play, and I've found that works best. I've had no play it all and the throttle was way too sensitive. With a little bit of freeplay throttle control and the ability to blip it on downshifting was actually improved.

The Pheasant

Reaction score
Visit site
Agree with all that's been said here but, if anyone thinks the clunking is that bad, try a BMW Oilhead boxer... I sold my 1100RT basically 'cos the 1st to 2nd shift, up and down, was so poor. The FZ6 is a peach by comparison.

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm still a new rider and always learning. But throttle control and proper shifting was one of my main focuses when i first got my fz6. I had the same problem with rough shifting from 1st to 2nd, as well as the other gears. I'm still not perfect and occasionally miss a gear or close the throttle too long, sometimes i clutch a little to much.

I have improved though significantly and this is what helped me out. When I first got my baby, brand new, breaking her in was tough as i tried not to bring it over 6,000 rpm's. Once she was broken in and I could open her up on the straightshots, I found that shifting at much higher rpm's, or accelerating hard, ends up shifting much smoother than when i shift at lower rpm's.

When i short shift at 3,000rpm's, its a lot rougher. Maybe my technique isn't the best but I get really smooth shifts when i kick it to 2nd at say 8 - 10,000 rpm's.

Since i've realized that, I tend to ride in much higher rpm's and in lower gears. I would much rather ride in low gear at high rpm's as everything seems smoother. Sports bikes are high revolution engines that run at optimum efficiency in high revs - getting used to using each gear past 8,000 rpm's was tough, but she seems to love it.

My technique is always evolving, changing, and i am always learning. And if i found out that this is abusing my precious, i would instantly stop and reevaluate how i ride, but things just seem much smoother at high revs.

Hope this helps.

promega

Reaction score
Visit site
What is 2nd gear and what is it for??

I go straight from first into 3rd.

Can`t they take some gears out of this bike?

Steve

ME too man, go to 27-35 in first gear, and skip second going strait to third. Works out my calf muscle! I love the clutchless shift in this bike from 2-6 (i lied i use 2nd if its raining or i am really high)! I only use 2nd to engine brake say going 45-65 all the way down to 20mph then drop it in first. I have been riding motorcycles for about 3 months, it started at as a hobby, but then I wrecked my car. So now I am commuting in Oregon land of the ran with my 2006 FZ6. I dont ever plan on wrecking, but I like to go fast.

I love going 65 in 5th, and then in open areas where no cops are just open the trottle to 100mph, 6th gear is for 100+mph only (or again if i am too high, and the engine noise is scary). I dont clutchless shift at these speeds :p

Last edited:

Jacobien

Reaction score
Visit site
The clunck from teh gear change is due to the chain. I have noticed that a well lubed chain with the right tension dramatically reduces this reaction from changes.

However, the clunck is in no way damaging (maybe 0.002% - normal wear).

It is a reaction between the drive axle and the main transmission assembly as well as the chain.

Usually, if a bike makes a noise when it's new, and still makes it when it's older, that is not a bad thing. I know, it just sounds bad - the clunck that is...

cyprusgrump

Reaction score
www.virtual-pub.com
I think the bike needs to be caned!

If I am riding around town or gently outside I find the changes (with clutch) a little clunky.

When I am thrashing the bike, clutchless changes (no pre-load as I heard that was bad for the gear box, just roll off the throttle 20% and tip the gear in) work perfectly smoothly... The only time clutchless doesn't work for me is if I'm not far enough up the revs for the next gear to ease in...

I love it!

Unfortunately, clutchless changes tend to bring down the 'red mist' and I ride significantly faster after the first series of changes at high speed....

ShadowChillaGin

Reaction score
Visit site
Im gonna bring this thread back from the dead...
.I too have noticed this but not as much since I switched to fully syn oil that is not as bad...I also noticed that if your upshifting from 1st to second under HARD acceleration you dont even notice it! :-D just get to the top of first, fast clutch, fast hard upshift (and try not to miss and get stuck in nuetral which I still do quite often) into second and hammer back on the throttle and not look back :) btw...second redlines around 110mph I believe...not totally sure as you dont really have time to stare at the guages at that speed...hahaha

godminus

Reaction score
Visit site
lol funny thing, I ran into this thread by mistake, but I'm struggling with the same problem EVERY DAY!

"THIS TIME IM GONNA MAKE IT, NO CLUNK THIS TIME!"
lol no matter what I do, nothing helps

and it's not a CLUNK, it's a fscking BANG sometimes lol, I hate it, having GS500 as my last bike where shifting were way smoother.. this is hell compared!

I guess there's nothing to do...

bushboarder

moved on up
Reaction score
Visit site
I've noticed that if my bike isn't fully warmed up, say 150-160 degrees, that shifting from 1st to 2nd is very smooth. Once the bike gets over about 185 degrees or so I start noticing the clunk. Maybe it's just me...