USA - ISP and TV service at a fair price, What are the "other" options. Sick of ComCr@p!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Perhaps I'm not the only one in this boat so here goes.

With the collective knowledge of everyone, what are some options for ISP's and at least a limited amount of TV service & channels for family viewing?

With some good bandwidth there is stuff like XBMC and we can stream movies, shows, sitcoms, etc, but you miss out on local news which tends to be a bunch of BS most of the time.

That said; What package do you run, are you happy with the service, is it a cost effective service to you (our needs may vary here), for Internet Service and TV providers.

The power company charges 1/2 as much as the Entertainment services. Considering how little I use the entertainment, it seems WAY overpriced! JM2C!

What are our options???

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dunno if they're in your area, but I signed up for FIOS when it came into our neighborhood and couldn't be happier. At first it was with Verizon but they sold it off to Frontier and while initially concerned, it's been a couple of years now and I've got no complaints. We have two receivers (one with DVR) with their "TV Extreme HD" service (mainly sports channels) in addition to all their regular channels and internet service (25M download, 10M upload) for around $105/month, including all the damn taxes and fees.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Your specific answer depends on your locale, so I'll keep my story "general" (and short):
I cut KomCrap this past spring, was going to go digital OTA (80% of my limited viewing) plus my Roku for Internet streaming. I went with a local dish service for internet only, costs about $50/month and has worked well (and they don't use the "raise-the-fr*ckin'-price as soon as the first year is over" business model that I can't stand). I average about 12 Mbps, not huge but I can stream an HD movie, surf, and talk on the phone at once with no slowdown, I personally don't need any higher speed.
Unfortunately, even though I live on the edge of a bench, I have no OTA reception, even with an amplified, $150 antenna (and I've had pros out to figure out WTF, no clue). :confused: :confused: :confused:
So, I had to go to Dish for the local channels plus the extras you get with their basic package, paying $45/mo for that. When that contract is up in two years, I have a feeling more if not all content will be available over the 'net, so I'll make the change as warranted at that time.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I quit cable TV. If you look at the programming, it's really insulting to our intelligence. I called my service provider when they started creeping the price back up. They said the programming has nothing to do with them and I told them they were right and that it had more to do with me and told them I was bringing their box back to them. I figured maybe I would not die if I just had streaming from Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime. I didn't die and in fact there are more interesting things streaming than were on the cable box. I have much better quality stuff to watch. I don't need a DVR and I watch it when I want when I want to.

When ever you talk to customer service rep they'll agree and say, yeah lot's of people are getting rid of cable for the economics. I tell them I can afford it but the programming is an insult and I won't pay for garbage programming. A lot of cable channels increased ads to the point of asking one's self why not just get a digital receiver and point an antenna toward the city.

Hint: See if your provider has a customer retention dept./representative and ask to speak with them. Be firm and polite stating your intention. I took another $40 off my bill when they creeped it up on me this year and I got rid of the cable companies modem (6 buck a month) and bought my own 1 GHZ .modem and now my speed averages 22 mbps.

I tell the cable company I'm better off reading a good book if they won't work with me. And! I mean it! :D

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We have a combination satellite box and digital TV feed.
No subscription with aboutit 60 free to air channels which is about forty to many.
Broadband on the other hand is shocking. Using a mobile broadband WIFi connection less than 1.2 mbps with a data limit of 50Gb per month.

Nelly

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I quit cable TV. If you look at the programming, it's really insulting to our intelligence. I called my service provider when they started creeping the price back up. They said the programming has nothing to do with them and I told them they were right and that it had more to do with me and told them I was bringing their box back to them. I figured maybe I would not die if I just had streaming from Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime. I didn't die and in fact there are more interesting things streaming than were on the cable box. I have much better quality stuff to watch. I don't need a DVR and I watch it when I want when I want to.

When ever you talk to customer service rep they'll agree and say, yeah lot's of people are getting rid of cable for the economics. I tell them I can afford it but the programming is an insult and I won't pay for garbage programming. A lot of cable channels increased ads to the point of asking one's self why not just get a digital receiver on point an antenna toward the city.

Hint: See if your provider has a customer retention dept./representative and ask to speak with them. Be firm and polite stating your intention. I took another $40 off my bill when they creeped it up on me this year and I got rid of the cable companies modem (6 buck a month) and bought my own 1 GHZ .modem and now my speed averages 22 mbps.

I tell the cable company I'm better off reading a good book if they won't work with me. And! I mean it! :D

It's likely you already have this or something like it, but read up on "XBMC", there is a search engine for just about any platform, Apple, Android, Windows, etc. So many ways to stream data AND the content you want.

Hopefully this will continue to spawn ideas....

Tks!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It's likely you already have this or something like it, but read up on "XBMC", there is a search engine for just about any platform, Apple, Android, Windows, etc. So many ways to stream data AND the content you want.

Hopefully this will continue to spawn ideas....

Tks!

There's all kinds of cool stuff I can do with my Roku3. I push stuff like Youtube from my android to my Roku. Then there's another player that I can push to from my PC and my wireless's usb. I have a pretty large drive with movies that I can play through my wireless usb. I don't watch much TV anyway but when I do I feel like it's worthy :)

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Love my roku. Great little box, Netflix, Hulu, and the occasional target movie, (for some reason vudu doesn't play through my speakers.) it's good, I have 10mbps and can stream HD and play PS4 NO issues. Hulu is ok I guess, haven't found anything really worth watching besides every episode of south park.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Love my roku. Great little box, Netflix, Hulu, and the occasional target movie, (for some reason vudu doesn't play through my speakers.) it's good, I have 10mbps and can stream HD and play PS4 NO issues. Hulu is ok I guess, haven't found anything really worth watching besides every episode of south park.

Sometimes I try to imagine what the hell is going on when they write those South Park episodes. They do bring some harsh truths to light and now I want to get a lawyer before I sign my next ULA agreement. OMG! The human centipede! I used to work with a guy that could imitate Eric Cartman to a T and would start calling the local rock station here in SD every morning. It was a riot and they played him every morning for about a week. Lol!

JONJONsocal

UNKNOWN HOON
Reaction score
Visit site
I got rid of cable years ago.. I got netflix and its way better.. No more junk.. Or commercials. Local tv is digital so we still get the news and major sports games.. I bought a WD TV live box couldnt be happier... Its wireless and lets you watch way more than just netflix. Search it up. Ive had mine for over 5 years I now have two and my parents have two too... I only pay $20.98 out-the-door for 3mbps.

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
FIOS user here. Though the service (internet and TV) is great, I cut off my TV service earlier this year as I no longer watched it. I have an antenna now which works ok for casual watching of news and most major sporting events. If it's a game I don't get, I usually go to a friend's house or we all head to a bar. I don't miss it.

I have a media center PC that I stream movies/tv shows from my desktop upstairs, and I have Amazon Prime via my PS3. Watching Youtube via my Chromecast is nice, too.