Vacuum Chain oiler

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com

Over the years, I have known a number of people who have used Scot oilers.... they always seem to be happy with them. The biggest issues seem to come from getting the application rate correct.

Me, I'm too cheap for that. A nitrile glove, a clean rag, and a bottle of gear oil have been the only way I have maintained motorcycle chains for the past 10 years or so. Gloves are very inexpensive, a quart of gear oil will last multiple riding seasons, shop rags can be bought in bulk for almost nothing. Even without a center stand I can service a chain in maybe 15 minutes.:rockon:

If you keep the all of the outer surfaces of the chain covered in a light film of gear oil, water cannot penetrate, and dirt will not migrate into the rollers and damage the pins.

The film strength of the gear oil is far higher than the amount of force between the links of the chain, and the teeth of the sprockets.

If you doubt how well gear oil will stay on the chain, try getting some on your hands without the nitrile gloves, and see how much of a PITA it is to wash off. :D

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Over the years, I have known a number of people who have used Scot oilers.... they always seem to be happy with them. The biggest issues seem to come from getting the application rate correct.

Me, I'm too cheap for that. A nitrile glove, a clean rag, and a bottle of gear oil have been the only way I have maintained motorcycle chains for the past 10 years or so. Gloves are very inexpensive, a quart of gear oil will last multiple riding seasons, shop rags can be bought in bulk for almost nothing. Even without a center stand I can service a chain in maybe 15 minutes.:rockon:

If you keep the all of the outer surfaces of the chain covered in a light film of gear oil, water cannot penetrate, and dirt will not migrate into the rollers and damage the pins.

The film strength of the gear oil is far higher than the amount of force between the links of the chain, and the teeth of the sprockets.

If you doubt how well gear oil will stay on the chain, try getting some on your hands without the nitrile gloves, and see how much of a PITA it is to wash off. :D

I always wonder too, since it rain often here in Florida in summer time. Do you know what grade of Gbox oil they're using? I was thinking making my own with a little pump and giving it a squirt every now and then when it rain.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I always wonder too, since it rain often here in Florida in summer time. Do you know what grade of Gbox oil they're using? I was thinking making my own with a little pump and giving it a squirt every now and then when it rain.

I don't know what Scottoilers use for their chain lube.... me, I use 85-90W gear oil and wipe it on the chain. The oilers drip a small amount of oil onto the links at a more or less random pattern, and do so often enough that they hit the whole chain eventually. Seems to me like that's going to cause a certain amount of 'fling'. You can't do it all without doing some parts more often than others.

Get a wad of rag in your palm, and pour on a few tablespoons of gear oil. Wrap your hand around the chain and wipe vigorously, making sure to get the rollers. Re-wet the rag as necessary. (usually with every section of chain, with a new, clean rag. Once it's soaked up some oil, not so much.)

I only do the lower run of chain, and then advance the chain to another section. When I finally see clean chain coming at me, I know I have done the entire thing.

You can barely see the film of oil on the chain when you are done, and you can definitely see the dirt on the rag.