Very preliminary selling questions

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
After a nice long ride today, I've started thinking about moving to another bike (possibly a FJR if I can find one for a good price with decent mileage or a FZ1). Now, let me say, this is a VERY preliminary idea. I'm simply trying to get a feeling of numbers that I should be looking at.

First things first. My FZ6 is a 2006 with just under 20k miles. I've converted it to naked (twice now, actually...first with the Buell setup and now with the VS-02). It's in perfect condition with no nicks or dings. I've done just about every mod imaginable except the exhaust...it's still stock. It's paid off with title in hand.

Looking at the NADA values, it seems the low retail is $2955 and the average retail is $3885. If (and that's a big if at this point) I decided to list it for sale, what would you guys recommend as a jumping off point?

If there's anything I'm leaving out, let me know. I may decide tomorrow that I want to keep it, but I'm just starting to feel like I want something with more room and more power.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
i'd say low retail.
there are way too many fz6's on the market.
demand isnt all that high,either.
it's not the bike's fault of course, just the way it is.
part out all the mods you can.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I sold my 2004 with a lot more mileage and lots of dings and dents and no mods for $2800 a couple weeks ago.

I'd ask $3900 OBO for your bike and take 3500ish. I'd also sell off some mods first.

However, demand for bikes in Cali is always pretty high do YMMV

Nada/kbb is a very basic baseline at most.

Last edited:

Dave in Houston

Reaction score
Visit site
It depends how fast you want to sell it.

Last May I bought an 06 in perfect condition except it needed tires, all stock except for frame sliders, 7900 miles, for $2950.

My philosophy on selling stuff is that when it's time for it to go, I price it to sell fast. I'd be looking on Craigslist and pricing mine to be the lowest price one in town.

But that's just me.

mikexup

Reaction score
Visit site
Just bought a new FJR this week and I'm keeping the FZ6 also. If you do decide to sell the 6 I'd be interested in a exhaust and seat if they're in perfect condition. If I had found a box I would have already sent the seat out to Spencer this week.

jcombs

One day at a time...
Reaction score
www.jaredsbook.com
With 20K miles, I'd be surprised if you got over 3K for it. My friend has been trolling Cycletrader and Craigslist for an FZ6 for the past few weeks and he has found later model bikes with well under 10K miles for upper 3K's.

Besides... I don't want you selling your FZ6! You're the only Lexington rider here and I haven't even met you in person yet!! Don't bail on me now! Seriously...let's ride soon. Good luck if you decide to sell though.

BSFL89

Reaction score
Visit site
jcombs - I am up in cinncinnati with an 05 fz6. We should meet up some weekend and ride, there is another guy named nick around these forums in NKY that rides one as well.

Brendan

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys. Like I said, this is a very preliminary thing. I LOVE this bike and the original plan was to buy something like a FJR and keep the FZ6 too, but I guess I'm getting older and on longer rides, I've started to develop some real knee pain in my right knee (aftermarket rearsets). I've got it set up exactly the way I like, but it's just starting to feel like it's time to start looking elsewhere.

jcombs, I'm just putting feelers out there right now. I did find a used FJR with 3500 miles or so for less than $9k, so that's really got me intrigued. I'm gonna talk with some of the other guys I ride with that are more experienced with selling and see what they say. Maybe they'll talk me into keeping it for another year or so...lol.

armystrong

feeling Triumphant
Reaction score
www.fz6-forum.com
That's how it started for me...just started to get that itch and the next thing I knew I was sitting on my new to me Triumph Sprint. I worried that I'd really miss my FZ6 and it felt weird seeing it pull away from my house with someone else (especially after all the work I put into it)...but after I got on my new horse I never looked back.
I didn't try to part out my 04 mainly because I sold it to a forum member and the bike just seemed right as a package. I figured I got my money's worth out of every inch of that bike, so it didn't break my heart to see it go for a decent price to a good buyer.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I wanted to keep everyone updated on what's going on with my decision.

I've moved forward in the process a bit. Oh hell, I may as well say I've decided to sell my FZ6...lol. Mentally, I'm already there. Now it's just a matter of deciding how and for how much.

I've already been pre-approved for a loan on whatever bike I decide on next. At this point, I'm leaning heavily towards the FZ1. I'm trying to find somewhere from a '08-'10 with decent mileage (preferably under 10k) and I'd like it to be as stock as possible. The only color I don't really have interest in is red...lol. Silver would be my first choice, followed by the dark gray, then navy blue or black.

First things first, though, and that's to sell my FZ6. The high-end book on it is $3900 or so and the low end is $2850 or so. It's paid for, so any money that comes out of the sale will go towards the FZ1. I'm hoping to get no less than $3000.

So, there's the update...lol. I'll keep you guys abreast of what comes next. :thumbup:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm very happy with my move to FZ1. Perfect bike for anyone who loves FZ6, but wants more :D

Don't overlook 07 bikes. There were no functional changes from 07 to 08 if I'm not mistaken.. just different colors (I prefer black rims (07) over gold (08), but that's subjective, of course).

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
You know, I didn't even realize you'd gotten a FZ1 until I looked at your avatar over there. Nice!

The only reason I'm limiting it to '08 and above is because the bank will only finance up to 80% on '07 and below. Obviously that's not THAT big of a deal (since I'll be making up for some of it with the sale of the FZ6), but that's the reason.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You know, I didn't even realize you'd gotten a FZ1 until I looked at your avatar over there. Nice!

The only reason I'm limiting it to '08 and above is because the bank will only finance up to 80% on '07 and below. Obviously that's not THAT big of a deal (since I'll be making up for some of it with the sale of the FZ6), but that's the reason.

Gotcha.. just FYI.. I got my 07 FZ1 at the end of last season with 8k miles on it for 5k even. Bike needed tires.. all else was perfect.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info, Erci.

I've got a lead on a black '09, little under 6500 miles, has a full Yoshi exhaust system, all the performance mods that people do on FZ1 Forum, with all stock parts as well for $6000. I'm not sure I can pass it up.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info, Erci.

I've got a lead on a black '09, little under 6500 miles, has a full Yoshi exhaust system, all the performance mods that people do on FZ1 Forum, with all stock parts as well for $6000. I'm not sure I can pass it up.

That sounds like a killer deal if the bike is clean. Honestly, this bike needs performance mods like I need knee pucks... that is to say it absolutely does not, but I suppose if they were thrown into the deal I wouldn't toss'em :D

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
That sounds like a killer deal if the bike is clean. Honestly, this bike needs performance mods like I need knee pucks... that is to say it absolutely does not, but I suppose if they were thrown into the deal I wouldn't toss'em :D

Haha, you sound like me. I don't need knee pucks either (although I do have them!)

The bike IS clean. Never been down, nothing. The guy had a daughter a while back and just doesn't have time to ride anymore. That's the reason for the sale. But it's been available for over a year and no bites yet, so I'm not going to rush into it. If it's there when I decide to buy, I'll give it a big look. But honestly, I'm really wanting one that's as close to stock as possible. Like you, I don't need all those aftermarket power mods. Heck, I can't push my FZ6 to it's limits, so I know I won't be able to do the same to a FZ1. But, like you said, if they're thrown in, then I'll take it. :thumbup:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The soothing ebb and flow of FZ upgraders.... Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh....... sigh..... :D Step into the light! Come to the dark side..... The power is STRONG with this FZ... :D

Hey, just trying to grow the sister site! :thumbup:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
The soothing ebb and flow of FZ upgraders.... Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh....... sigh..... :D Step into the light! Come to the dark side..... The power is STRONG with this FZ... :D

Hey, just trying to grow the sister site! :thumbup:

And make all of us 6'ers jealous!!!

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
And make all of us 6'ers jealous!!!

Well, sort of? You've already started!!! You have the bars, now just replace what's UNDER them! :rockon: :thumbup:

Seriously, LOTS of good deals out there and dealers are blowing out the door the holdovers for great prices. $5k - $6k will nail a great used FZ1 and selling the 6 for $2k - $3k eases the burden a lot!

Git R' Dun!!!! :BLAA:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Eventually I will, the more I ride the 6 though the more I love it, which I'm sure will be the same on a 1, but knowing me It will probably be a spur of the moment thing and also probably be a off season thing as well