VS-2 kit too fragile?

visions

THAT guy
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone else experience this problem? I received my VS-2 kit with a broken mounting tab, Vishnu was great and sent another housing right away. New one had the same problem, so he sent another. Third one broke on install, Im not picky so added a tube of super glue and called it good.

Fast forward about 1,200 miles and my headlight damn near falls off after I drive off a hard curb, another broken tab. :eek:

Now V is a great guy with great customer service, but this isn't the first time I've heard of a poor quality product from Yamaha India.

Iron Cross

Reaction score
Visit site
Is that the tab that mounts the headlight to the stay that keeps breaking? I had one of the side panels brackets (on the headlight) break during install, but I thought it was just because it was cold out and the plastic was brittle.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
While I haven't broken anything, I did note that the welds looked like they'd need attention some time in the future.

I'm hoping it breaks so I have an excuse to drop the money on a cheap MIG welder. (yes, with gas)

visions

THAT guy
Reaction score
Visit site
Is that the tab that mounts the headlight to the stay that keeps breaking? I had one of the side panels brackets (on the headlight) break during install, but I thought it was just because it was cold out and the plastic was brittle.

Yes, both main tabs for headlight broke. The bottom mounting screws holes are cracked and and the ones that were breaking in shipment were the tabs for the smaller pieces (not the main mounting)

While I haven't broken anything, I did note that the welds looked like they'd need attention some time in the future.

I'm hoping it breaks so I have an excuse to drop the money on a cheap MIG welder. (yes, with gas)

Does it weld plastic? :D Thats what I was referring to. The welds (albeit ugly) seem to be plenty strong enough for something that doesn't hold much weight.

Iron Cross

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, both main tabs for headlight broke. The bottom mounting screws holes are cracked and and the ones that were breaking in shipment were the tabs for the smaller pieces (not the main mounting)

Damn! I hope that doesn't happen to mine!

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
I had no issues upon receiving the kit or when installing it. The materials did seem to be of lower quality than your typical American made products, but it was not cause for concern. I did also notice that the welding on the bracket, while ample in application, was hastily done and very messy.

I have not, however, put miles on this new setup so I cant speak to how it will hold up to driving. Only time will tell I guess..

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe the mounting points need rubber or plastic washers to reduce fracturing that might come from metal parts to plastic tabs. Also how hard are the parts being torqued down on.

As far as quality is concerned, someone mentioned not as good as American made parts but there are hardly any American made parts for anything. If the headlight assembly was made in Japan it would probably be a good quality part.
It could say Yamaha on it but be made somewhere else and even where it is made is not indicative to it's quality as much as what materials get used. If a contractor agrees to a certain quality product and runs proofs to gain the contract then removes the high density additives to save money we end up with an inferior product.

In the meantime you should be able to assess where you might change how the pressure points on those tabs might cause fracturing. Make sure your mating surfaces are free of things like welding slag or beads on the surface of the metal parts that mate to the plastic tabs. If the tab angles don't match the metal mounting angles and you force too severe an angle the tap will break.

You should be able to source some thin plastic/nylon washers that might help stop the tab breakage.

Hope this helps! :D

visions

THAT guy
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Moto. The kit came with rubber washers (grommets?) and metal washers for the main mounting points. I tightened them until they squished a little but were not flat. Hopefully thats not too tight, I dunno

Last night I used some more super glue and some plastic glue, a bunch of it. I hope it works, or I'll have to start thinking about something custom.

Also, Yamaha India has their own manufacturing plant if I recall correctly.

and ps. the light works awesome since I got your relay kit installed

Last edited:

mnuttall87

Reaction score
Visit site
2,000 miles in and mine has held up okay so far.

Sounds like something is torqued a little to tightly, I do all of mine by hand as far as they go and then one twist of the wrench until it starts to give resistance (since I don't own a torque wrench) -- we are dealing with plastic here.

nsaP

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine didn't break in transit but I did find them to be very fragile when putting them on. One of the mount tabs for the cowling snapped off, and the plastic bits where the headlight aiming bracket connects to also cracked and snapped. I managed to repair them with epoxy putty and we'll see how they last I guess.

I understand you have to be gentile with plastic and I feel like I was, but at the same time the thing needs to be tight enough to stay together.

dev_usc

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am sincerely sorry for delay in investigating this. I talked to my Yamaha dealer and his mechanics about this problem and they mentioned there are two things that would lead to cracking of the headlight.
The torque applied to bold (8) is one and the second most important one is there is a metal spacer (7) that is missing in the kit. This metal spacer (7) as you can see in the pic below fits inside the rubber grommet (6) and the bolt (8) tightens on the metal spacer (7). This prevents the headlight from the extra torque.
Yamaha had made this change after some problems but the dealer never informed me about this change. I have now updated my kit and my documents.

I would be glad to provide the spacer to all the previous buyers for free but the shipping from warehouse would be very expensive. The simplest way would be to get a METAL or NYLON spacer from any hardware store. The only thing to look for is the OD of spacer should fit in the rubber grommet and the ID should allow the M6 bolt to pass through. You can adjust the length to see what would work.

I dont have the actual spacer with me yet. As soon as i get it I will post the size. Again I am sorry for delay on my side.

20uerdj.jpg

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
That's awesome. Vishnu, thanks for looking into this. As soon as you have the OEM length of that spacer let us know.

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to be changing my VS-2 headlight out for these reasons. I rode with if for about 2,000 miles so far and I just can't pin down all the vibrations and noises and it just feels too cheap to me. Nothing feels solidly mounted and I don't want to be constantly worrying about it given how often I ride my bike. I don't mind wrenching but when somethings done I want it to be done. I don't want to be constantly adjusting this and that, taking it apart, put it back together all season long. That's what I've been having to do to chase down annoying vibrations etc. I also can't get the headlight aimed properly to save my life.

I don't think the kit itself is bad, but the way the roads are around here it's just personal preference to remove it. I need something that is FAR more solid.

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to be changing my VS-2 headlight out for these reasons. I rode with if for about 2,000 miles so far and I just can't pin down all the vibrations and noises and it just feels too cheap to me. Nothing feels solidly mounted and I don't want to be constantly worrying about it given how often I ride my bike. I don't mind wrenching but when somethings done I want it to be done. I don't want to be constantly adjusting this and that, taking it apart, put it back together all season long. That's what I've been having to do to chase down annoying vibrations etc. I also can't get the headlight aimed properly to save my life.

I don't think the kit itself is bad, but the way the roads are around here it's just personal preference to remove it. I need something that is FAR more solid.

Would you mind posting up or PMing me when you figure out what you're going to use? My commute to work has some pretty big bumps along the way, and the problems addressed in this thread worry me.

galen

Reaction score
Visit site

My vibrations are coming from 3 main places.(1) Middle cowel, center top headlight touching. (2) side cowels touching fork legs(3) speedo mounting plate to braket. I have had the kit off and on a dozen times. Most were because of headlight problems( Thanks Motogiro:thumbup:)) but the braket is starting to rust:( and has to be cleaned/ preped/painted)
My fix for the vibes:confused: M4 exhaust:D Cant hear a thing:rockon:

n0other

biker wannabe
Reaction score
Visit site
OT:

Vishnu, can you please send me a PM regarding kit purchase, I've tried sending you a PM, but not sure I'm allowed to being new here.