VTX 1800 Ride!

fz6xlr8r

Reaction score
Visit site
I took my old mans Honda VTX 1800S out for a short spin the other day and I can say this, I'm not a cruser guy. Don't get me wrong, the bike is fantastic, I just don't think I could live with a bike like that as daliy transportation. I had a good time riding it, it was quite nice on the highway but get it in some in-town traffic and you have your hands full. I could feel all of its 800+ pounds in the slow turns. The handlebars are wide(thank goodness) and gave me the leverage I needed to muscle it around. I had a hard time getting use to the floorboards insted of pegs, I had to swing my foot way out when I came to a stop and if your not use to doing this you have a tendency to fumble around trying to get your foot out of the heal- shifter and look a little goofey at the stoplight. The brakeing system is pretty neat, the rear break also activates the center calipers on the 6 piston front breaks. It's almost impossible to lock up the rear brakes on this thing. Also, the rear break has a brake peddle very similar to a cars. I liked the heel-shifter( other than hanging my foot on it several times), it was very easy to operate and really fun to stomp my heel down to up-shift and stomp down with my toes to down-shift. Needless to say the 1800 V-twin is a stump puller. Torque by the gobs and for being over 800 lbs. this bike can get down the road in a hurry. The big VTX is quick if not fast and I can say from experiance, if one jumps you off the start the FZ6 has it's hands full playing catch-up until you get the RPM's up. It will pull away all the way through first and in second you'll just start to make some headway on it. Anyway, I won't be giving up my FZ6 any time soon for a cruser but I do look forward to getting back on the behemith again and get more seat time just to get a feel for it. The ride was fun but more work then I expected.;) Here are some pics of the Green Tank.( Thats what I call it.:D )