Well, it took me long enough...

The Hill Boys

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all. A few years ago, I signed up here as I was looking to get back on the road after 20 years. I was kicking around a few different bikes, FZ6, FZ1, SV650...

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/21732-does-fz6-have-enough-power.html

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/23202-one-would-you-buy.html

I ended up getting a Raven 2007 FZ1. The most gorgeous bike I have ever seen. Sold it after six months. Just never was comfortable riding it. Too much power? Possibly. Too much bike for someone that hasn't ridden in so long? Probably. I ended up getting closer to my roots (dirt) and bought a SuperMoto (2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM). What a hoot. Love the bike and still own it. However, I started getting the urge to venture beyond a 20-50 mile radius of my home and the DRZ just didn't fit the bill. So, I bought a 2009 Suzuki V-Strom DL650. Awesome bike. Super comfy on the road. But it just lacked the "grin factor". With the downturn in the economy and my employment status up in the air, I sold it a few weeks ago.

I have a 17 year old son that just got his license and has been riding the DRZ to school. Great for his ego :)rockon:). Wanting to have two bikes so that can ride together, we started looking at some options. Obviously, the FZ6 was at the top of the list. We also were looking at the Ninja 650R. We were able to rent one and both really enjoyed it. Well, early this week, a 2007 FZ6 showed up on CL for an attractive price. It's now sitting in the garage. Looking forward to getting it out this week and really getting acquainted with it. From my test ride prior to purchase, I am very pleased. I should have gone this route from the beginning.

The bike does have a few miles on it, 17K. The previous owner only had it for a year and they bought it from a dealer so the bikes history is unknown. Going to have to spend some time and make sure all the maintenance is up to date. I do have a couple of questions that I'm hoping you can answer for me.

1) I came across a service manual (pdf) for a 2006. Can I use this for the 2007? I'm assuming most everything would be the same.

2) I noticed the front headlight "issue". I've done a little research already, but definitely want to get both bulbs running on lows. What is the best mod for this?

3) Rear brake seemed a little spongy. Common or just something that needs attention for this bike?

4) Spare key. Previous owner only had one. Do I go to the dealer to get a spare or can I get one cut at Home Depot, etc?

5) Center stand. Bike doesn't have one. How much would it be to put one one? It would seem necessary for maintenance on the rear wheel, chain, etc.

Anyway, looking forward to hanging around here. I should have been here all along!

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
1) I came across a service manual (pdf) for a 2006. Can I use this for the 2007? I'm assuming most everything would be the same.

In the US, 2004-2006 are the same. 2007-2009 are the same. Get copies of the 2007 manuals via Boneman's site, under the MODS section, along with tons of other useful info:

Welcome to Boneman's FZ6 Site

2) I noticed the front headlight "issue". I've done a little research already, but definitely want to get both bulbs running on lows. What is the best mod for this?

Always subjective what is 'best.' From memory (so correct me, folks, if I get something wrong) the most popular options are: the tcmalker mod (two low beams, no high beam,) the bd43 mod (two low beams, right low beam off when high beam is on, accomplished with wiring harness changes) and the motogiro mod (two low beams, right low beam off when high beam on, accomplished with a relay installation.) I installed the latter. Easy enough, if you've spliced a wire or two in your day. A second low beam may not illuminate much farther, but it will light up the right side the road, which helps. There is more out there about using brighter bulbs, HID kits, etc.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/35015-tcmalkers-dual-headlight-mod.html

http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/1663-bd43s-07-headlight-mod-part-1-a.html
http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/1666-bd43s-07-headlight-mod-part-2-a.html

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/37355-universal-head-lamp-conversion-relay.html

Use the Search -> Site Search/Google feature to dig up more on the above and your other questions.

3) Rear brake seemed a little spongy. Common or just something that needs attention for this bike?

Hard to say ... pads, fluid, stopping power okay?

4) Spare key. Previous owner only had one. Do I go to the dealer to get a spare or can I get one cut at Home Depot, etc?

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...your-yamaha-key-lowes-walmart-home-depot.html

US models don't have an immobilizer, so no chip in key to worry about.

5) Center stand. Bike doesn't have one. How much would it be to put one on? It would seem necessary for maintenance on the rear wheel, chain, etc.

Yep, it's very handy. Search used in the for sale section in the forum, ebay, or new at someplace like ronayers.com. Less than $100 certainly.

Ronayers.com Microfiche Yamaha>Motorcycle>2008>FZ6>STAND FOOTREST

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
ill add to the brake question as well as the center stand question as far as the rear brakes go my bike also has what i would call a long pedel but the brakes do work fine, so if that is what your wondering then it seems pretty normal. also ive rode a friends fz6 and his felt very similar. but first i would check the rear pads to make sure there good, also it wouldnt hurt to bleed the brakes, and last but not least if your still unsatisfied with the feel of the rear brakes there is a adjustment on the pedel. as far as the center stand goes its not needed but it would be convient, i dont have one either. i use a rear stand for when im doing any maintence on the rear.

The Hill Boys

Reaction score
Visit site
oaks, over and above sir! Thank you.

My son and I took the bike out for a ride this morning. First thing we noticed is the rear brake lever itself is positioned lower than we are used to. I will adjust that and see if that makes a difference. I think we just weren't giving it enough brake and therefore the spongy feel.

We both love the bike. So much so that we just put the DRZ up for sale and will be searching for a second. Here are a couple of pics that I took this morning.

mc017-1.jpg

mc019-1.jpg

The Hill Boys

Reaction score
Visit site
Chevy, tell me about your 04. There is one for sale near here. When I was doing research, I saw a few posts where people suggested to look for 07+. Are there any 04 "gotchas" to look for?

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
i have an 09 and love it. ive heard that the instrument cluster on the 04-06 is susceptible to water damage if ridden in rain. the front fairing is different on the two and from your pics you have the touring screen. the newer generation 07-09 has a slightly taller and more upright shield. also if your looking for adding luggage more stuff is made for the 07-09.

dont know too much more about the differences, sorry.

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an '05 and have never had any cluster/gauge issues, and I have ridden in a LOT of rain in the last few years living on the East Coast. I think both models are great bikes, but there were definitely some tweaks made on the '07+ models... I have not heard of anyone not liking an S1 though...

Sent from my SAMSUNG GALAXY S INFUSE using Tapatalk

riderlak1

Reaction score
Visit site
Always subjective what is 'best.' From memory (so correct me, folks, if I get something wrong) the most popular options are: the tcmalker mod (two low beams, no high beam,) the bd43 mod (two low beams, right low beam stays on when high beam is on) and the motogiro mod (two low beams, right low beam off when high beam on.) I installed the latter. Easy enough, if you've spliced a wire or two in your day. A second low beam may not illuminate much farther, but it will light up the right side the road, which helps. There is more out there about using brighter bulbs, HID kits, etc.

Use the Search -> Site Search/Google feature to dig up more on the above and your other questions.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think you described the bd43 headlight mod correctly. I believe that YES it does add the wiring to the other headlight bulb to illuminate the low filament to have both lights illuminated at the same time when running low beam. But I believe that the low beam filament is turned off when the high beam filament is illuminated. When both high and low beam filaments are illuminated in the same bulb, the life of the bulb is greatly decreased, and this would be a dangerous problem.

OR maybe I am just mis-understanding your description altogether!

Either way....I just bought the bd43 wire to install that mod on my bike, and did it this way because it is a safe way to add the functionality of the spare lit bulb on low beam, but doesn't run the risk of blowing a bulb like jumping the wire from the other bulb will do.

Anyone else please correct me if I am wrong! :confused:

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think you described the bd43 headlight mod correctly. I believe that YES it does add the wiring to the other headlight bulb to illuminate the low filament to have both lights illuminated at the same time when running low beam. But I believe that the low beam filament is turned off when the high beam filament is illuminated. When both high and low beam filaments are illuminated in the same bulb, the life of the bulb is greatly decreased, and this would be a dangerous problem.

OR maybe I am just mis-understanding your description altogether!

Either way....I just bought the bd43 wire to install that mod on my bike, and did it this way because it is a safe way to add the functionality of the spare lit bulb on low beam, but doesn't run the risk of blowing a bulb like jumping the wire from the other bulb will do.

Anyone else please correct me if I am wrong! :confused:

You're right -- I got the description of bd43's mod wrong. I will correct my earlier post. I found the old thread that sorted me out. Sorry about that.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/1666-bd43s-07-headlight-mod-part-2-a.html#post12791

riderlak1

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey...no problem. Just don't want to be giving out info that isn't correct!

And sorry that I didn't say this in my original post, but a big WELCOME to THE HILL BOYS!

Hope you really enjoy your FZ! I looked for one for quite a while on CL locally before finding the one I got. I ended up finding a pretty mint 2007 with only 4,800 miles.

Im sure if you look hard and are patient you can find a nice one!