What do you think about this price?

Under_A_Rock

Reaction score
Visit site
Gonna go give VERY serious look at an 08 FZ6 tomorrow. Guy wants $3500 and it has 34k on it. Here's the kicker, he has no shred of documented maintenance whatsoever. I have been talking to a nearby independent bike shop about the maintenance schedule posted here on the boards in the tech section. They quoted me at 6 hours/$380 for a valve job PLUS everything in that PDF. I'm almost 100% certain that a Yamaha dealer will want almost $600 for a valve job. On the high side i figure almost $800 in maintenance items including labor.

I feel like the price is fair for a bike that has a folder of maintenance receipts. Having said that I feel like $2500 would be fair considering the urgent need for a very thorough inspection with associated repairs and the ever important valve job.

So what do you guys think about my assesment?

Below is a list of mods and self-maint items he has on the bike.
  • Leo Vince SBK Aluminum (Carbon Fiber Wrapped)
  • DinoJet Power Commander 3
  • K&N Air Filter
  • NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
  • Dual Headlight Mod
  • Front Wheel Frame Slider (Carbon)
  • TechMount Phone Holder
  • Frame Sliders (Carbon)
  • Integrated Taillight
  • Fender Eliminator w/ Integrated Running Lights
  • BatteryTender

00H0H_1qljZlo9NCA_600x450.jpg
00303_haCVLFQ7RLv_600x450.jpg

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
If you're mechanically inclined at all, or willing to learn, you could do a lot of that yourself. If you can talk him down to $3000, you've pretty much made your money there. That being said, it looks good visually - so inspect it in person before you pull the trigger. Valve adjustment is something I'm learning how to do right now, and overall it's been pretty easy... Except for waiting on shims to come through. All I've needed was some basic ratchets/sockets and some feeler gauges which are cheap. Everything else like coolant and **** isn't hard either, nor particularly expensive. You may not even have to change it, if it's still clean and the likes!

Under_A_Rock

Reaction score
Visit site
If you're mechanically inclined at all, or willing to learn, you could do a lot of that yourself. If you can talk him down to $3000, you've pretty much made your money there. That being said, it looks good visually - so inspect it in person before you pull the trigger. Valve adjustment is something I'm learning how to do right now, and overall it's been pretty easy... Except for waiting on shims to come through. All I've needed was some basic ratchets/sockets and some feeler gauges which are cheap. Everything else like coolant and **** isn't hard either, nor particularly expensive. You may not even have to change it, if it's still clean and the likes!

I can turn a wrench no problem, however, my Snap-on is in storage while we renovate the garage. Im not above paying a shop to do the first go around, the guys that run it are very informative and have been willing to show me around a bike. I'll likely buy the factory service manual if i decide this is the bike I want, I've done that with my FD3 and Focus ST.

As far as the price goes, just through texting, he is already willing to come down on price because he thought I was gonna look else where. That is why I'm thinking i can get him down below 3k, especially after reading this thread

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I suppose the same could be said for my bike. Its never been to shop so it has no "records per say " but everyone here knows its in good shape and all maintenance activities are done before being due. That doesn't help a private buyer much tho.
If you take all that off the bike and buy the components yourself chances are the bike will have even more miles and be in less favorable shape... Looks like good deal even w/out the items being done.

At a glance the chain looks like a piano string and the axle is back a good distance. These bike don't care for that. Loose is good (2" deflection when on center stand).

Bottom line is if you feel like you're getting a good deal and don't regret the choice later when a better deal comes along..

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
You're making too big of a deal out of "no documented maintenance". Valve check is the big one, sure. Everything else is easy to DIY though. Check the condition of the chain/sprockets, check the thickness of the brake pads, check the condition of the tires, color or the brake fluid, etc. Lots of people (myself included) don't keep a folder of receipts for every oil filter they buy, but keep their bikes in good shape.

Under_A_Rock

Reaction score
Visit site
You're making too big of a deal out of "no documented maintenance". Valve check is the big one, sure. Everything else is easy to DIY though. Check the condition of the chain/sprockets, check the thickness of the brake pads, check the condition of the tires, color or the brake fluid, etc. Lots of people (myself included) don't keep a folder of receipts for every oil filter they buy, but keep their bikes in good shape.

i got him to 2700. the chat we had indicated he knew the bare minimum for maint.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The bike looks pretty d..n clean, especially for $2,700. I keep track of all my maintenance, but the mileage is really not that much.

Most times, the valves don't need adjustment. And as posted above, if your somewhat mechanically inclined, your better off doing it yourself (valve check/adjustment).
You KNOW IT WAS ACTUALLY done. You can check and if out, then bring it to the shop, you already have 75% of it done...

To save some bucks, YOU could save a bunch of time (about 1/2 the time) stripping under the tank down to the valve cover(then let them check/adjust.

There's MANY threads here on checking/adjusting them, (these two I saved as I thought they were very useful) ie;

http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-to-s-/47593-valve-clearance-check.html

http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-to-s-/53398-valve-clearance-adjustment.html#post589932

Finding a private shop for the work, I've found it's OFTEN preferable to a big shop.
Meet the guy that's ACTUALLY going to work on the bike (not a newbie with less knowledge than you)... .