How do you know what to sell a bike for?

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am curious as to know if anyone could help me with knowing what I could sell my FZ6 for? How do you determine a fair price? I have a 07 FZ6 with around 4800 miles on it. I know myself I have never dogged the bike and I have maintaned it. I know if someone is interested in possible purchasing the bike there is always that question of how well has it been taken care of. The mods I have done to the bike are nothing expensive or time consuming so I would not think I would consider them effecting the price to much.

I know there will be ppl wanting to know why am I interested in selling my bike. The reason is because I want to purchase a bigger bike now. I am wanting to go buy a FZ1.

I appreciate the advice in advance. Thanks,

David Hames

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
I am curious as to know if anyone could help me with knowing what I could sell my FZ6 for? How do you determine a fair price? I have a 07 FZ6 with around 4800 miles on it. I know myself I have never dogged the bike and I have maintaned it. I know if someone is interested in possible purchasing the bike there is always that question of how well has it been taken care of. The mods I have done to the bike are nothing expensive or time consuming so I would not think I would consider them effecting the price to much.

I know there will be ppl wanting to know why am I interested in selling my bike. The reason is because I want to purchase a bigger bike now. I am wanting to go buy a FZ1.

I appreciate the advice in advance. Thanks,

David Hames

Do a brief market study.

Go to you local area's craig's list and search for FZ6's to see what they are listed at. Read the adds and see how yours compares to theirs. Do the same with Ebay. That should help you set a price. Cut the price of any mods you have done to 1/3 of their original cost and add that to the average price of a completely stock equivalent bike. Or better, pull the mods, sell them for about 1/2 of the original price and sell the bike for a fair/average price.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
From what I've seen around 4K may be top dollar. If the tires are more than half worn put new rubber on the bike. New tires will always help you sell your bike.
You may want to budget what is the lowest $ you will sell it for and add to that for wiggle room. IF you price it to sell it it should, but if you want top dollar in this economy - good luck.
FYI, I sold my 07 (very clean with 12K) this spring for 3,500 as I got a killer deal on a used 08 FZ1 with all the good mods so I could afford to price my bike to sell fast.
Are you looking for new or used FZ1?- it's a buyers market for sure and plenty of used FZ1's out there.
Oh and by the way I really like the 1. :steve:

Woe257

Reaction score
Visit site
Good question. I've been thinking about selling a '06 red FZ6 for about$4,500.00 ? due to it's mint condition and low miles. (1,600 miles and a few add ons too) however, haven't gotten a feel for the market yet. (I can only drive one)

MoeDog

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok i don't know how to start this because I have been in the market for an FZ6 for the past 2 weeks or so.

I am being picky on what bike i choose. Because its my hard earn cash that i am going to be spending. here is what bikes should cost in my Personal Opinion considering the price of KBB

07 kbb Suggested Retail Value $4260

The Kelley Blue Book Suggested Retail Value is representative of dealers' asking prices and is the starting point for negotiation between a consumer and a dealer. This Suggested Retail Value assumes that the unit has been fully reconditioned and is in excellent condition. Mileage/condition and additional equipment may have a substantial impact on the value shown above. This value also takes into account the dealers' profit, costs for advertising, sales commissions and other costs of doing business. The final sale price will likely be less depending on the unit's actual condition, popularity, type of warranty offered and local market conditions.

If you are selling private party the starting price should not go over 4k if the bike has over 2k miles. Please keep in mind that just because the buyer paid over the retail value for the bike because of finance etc.. does not mean the bike is worth what you spent. for instance i had a seller trying to sell a 07 fz6 that was overpriced because it had 500 low miles and wanted $4700 lowest because they paid over 8k for it.I offered them 4200, 2 days later I saw an 07 with 350 miles for 3700, but it was 6 hours from my location, Lost my chance. moral of the story is that if you would like to be fair on the price just go bellow kbb at least $150, and never buy New from dealer if you don't want to loose money when you try to sell.

don't mean to offend anyone who is selling a bike its just the way I think my personal opinion others opinions are welcome. good luck with the sale

rockmurf

Reaction score
Visit site
Look at kbb and nada. Check out ebay in the completed section and find out what bikes actually sold for. Many people overpay, factor in tax and fees and expect you to overpay when you buy their bike. This is a terrible time to sell and someone is only going to buy something that is special and priced very right. There was an 08 on ebay that did not sell for 4k and it had under 2k miles. I have an fz1 on ebay for 3 weeks that hasn't sold at 4k and it is a great buy and when I finally get someone to see it they will buy it without a doubt. Anyway you will do well buying but not so well selling.