What Idling RPM have you set your bike at?

Idle rpm speed

• <900rpm

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • 1000 - 1250rpm

Votes: 56 55.4%
  • 1250 - 1350rpm

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • >1350rpm

Votes: 5 5.0%

• Total voters

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When I first got my FZ6 I had more than a few stalls when pulling aeay from lights. It was something that I had not experienced on my previous bikes.
So I checked the owners manual and checked out what the idling speed should be. Mine was running at only 900rpm. This was set by the Yamaha dealership I got my bike from.
I changed it to the recomended 1250rpm. Problem solved.
What rpm do you run at and why?
How often do you need to adjust rpm?

Last edited:
On every bike i have owned the Idle was fine from the factory but as the engine broke in the idle dropped and then the stalling happened. After the one idle adjustment after break in i have never had to adjust them ever again. Not sure on the FZ6 yet though so i have not voted

Mine idles at 1250-1300 when its warming up. It then drops to about 1100 when its warm. Never had a problem with stalling, but I like to give her a little rev when I take off....

Mine's always been at 1250. Never been a problem. I just assumed the electronics sorted it out. Wouldn't know where to start to adjust it. My old Fazer (1999) had a manual choke and I had all sorts of problems if I had to stop in traffic shortly after taking off. Couldn't get it right on that

ok, fine i went and started it, a hair under 13k while warming up. Still not sure what she runs at when warm though.
I never really paid attention... but mine idles around 1250+/- a few rpm.

So you see this is also a "make you think Thread as well" lol

Wouldn't know where to start to adjust it.

There is an adjustment screw under the gas tank somewhere...I'm pretty sure you can make adjustments without removing anything...but I'm not positive.

A lot of people crank it up for track work in an effot to make on/off throttle response smoother at 5 figure RPMs and to make rapid fire hard brake down shifting easier.
________
Laguna Bay II Condos

Last edited:
There is an adjustment screw under the gas tank somewhere...I'm pretty sure you can make adjustments without removing anything...but I'm not positive.

A lot of people crank it up for track work in an effot to make on/off throttle response smoother at 5 figure RPMs and to make rapid fire hard brake down shifting easier.
Yes mate you are correct, it i just under the rear of the petrol tank on the left hand side. It can be reached easily with the tool kit screw driver or very small fingers.
Screw it clockwise to increase rpm and counter clockwise to reduce rpm.

Last edited:
When I first got my FZ6 I had more than a few stalls when pulling aeay from lights. It was something that I had not experienced on my previous bikes.
So I checked the owners manual and checked out what the idling speed should be. Mine was running at only 900rpm. This was set by the Yamaha dealership I got my bike from.
I changed it to the recomended 1250rpm. Problem solved.
What rpm do you run at and why?
How often do you need to adjust rpm?

I also stalled more than normal but i blamed it on getting back into riding (had been a few years) and not letting the clutch out slowly enough.
i think after brake-in the idle will go down on its own so it may not have been set at 900 by the factory (just a guess) mine started around 1250 from the factory and eventually went down around 1k so i adjusted it.
I run mine at 1250 when warm, like said above she goes up around 13ish when warming up. that is where i set it because that is what yamaha said i should (they know way more about bikes than i do :thumbup: )
i have only adjusted it that one time

idling speed setting

i've set the idling speed to 1000 rpm. down from about 1200 rpm seems to help with the clunk into 1st gear being a bit less than it was but unfortunately it resulted in stalling so have re-set to 1200 r.p.m.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine varies with the ambient temperature but it generally settles in at 1300 to 1320 (warm) which is where I have set it. From the dealer it was 1180 +-20. The adjustment wheel is under the tank on the left side near the tank rubber and can be turned with a 6" Phillips screwdriver.

Your second quotation is directed to someone who has their idle set lower than what the owners manual states, and he probably thinks thats normal because she said that's what it was when he bought it. The first one is what I have mine on.

You have a set point also...do YOU play with yours?

higher rpm's (more power) with less twist of a wrist.

I dont need to waste all that gas when I'm just cruising around town or going to work...though right now I don't see myself lowering it below 1480-1510 as it is now. I like being able to launch from lights without having to twist as much, and creep into my garage without twisting at all.

higher rpm's (more power) with less twist of a wrist.

I dont need to waste all that gas when I'm just cruising around town or going to work...though right now I don't see myself lowering it below 1480-1510 as it is now. I like being able to launch from lights without having to twist as much, and creep into my garage without twisting at all.

Man that thing must slam into 1st gear. Maybe even worse when cold?

Back