What mirrors do YOU have on your motorcycle?

What mirrors do you have on your FZ6?

• Stock

Votes: 170 75.6%
  • R6, 250r, or other motorcycle mirrors.

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • Bar Ends

Votes: 29 12.9%
  • Pig Spotters

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None, I turn my head

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • Other, please specify

Votes: 14 6.2%

• Total voters

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Stock, my Ninja's aftermarket mirrors were so horrible that these work amazing (despite many complaints here). I don't often have to move my elbow to see, it's pretty rare. The Ninja NEEDED elbow and body shifts to see anything lol

joey.logue

Reaction score
Visit site
:rockon:I have thought about getting some mirrors with LED blinkers, I want to remove the stock blinkers and add flush LED blinkers. I thought having the mirror LED would help keep my visibility higher.

41H-%2BLGjhNL.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I have these mirrors, and they are horrible. The angle is all wrong for the FZ, all I can see is my elbows or my shoulders. The rubber boots on the bottom won't stay down at the angle they have to be at. The bolts that hold the mirrors in place are garbage. I was constantly tightening them until my right one stripped completely out. Now it just droops when I ride, even at low speeds.

Last edited:

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:rockon:I have thought about getting some mirrors with LED blinkers, I want to remove the stock blinkers and add flush LED blinkers. I thought having the mirror LED would help keep my visibility higher.

I have these mirrors, and they are horrible. The angle is all wrong for the FZ, all I can see is my elbows or my shoulders. The rubber boots on the bottom won't stay down at the angle they have to be at. The bolts that hold the mirrors in place are garbage. I was constantly tightening them until my right one stripped completely out. Now it just droops when I ride, even at low speeds.

Sounds like what's happening to me. I find myself tightening the screws to prevent the drooping.

...Maybe it's time for us to get something that works.

granda080

Reaction score
Visit site

41H-%2BLGjhNL.jpg

I have these mirrors, and they are horrible. The angle is all wrong for the FZ, all I can see is my elbows or my shoulders. The rubber boots on the bottom won't stay down at the angle they have to be at. The bolts that hold the mirrors in place are garbage. I was constantly tightening them until my right one stripped completely out. Now it just droops when I ride, even at low speeds.[/QUOTE]

I have these mirrors and have no problems with them, but I changed the actual mounts. I'll post a pic in a bit. They are mostly functional.

Bernoulli

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been using stock mirrors but have considered switching to bar ends in addition to a RiderScan mirror. Not sure how popular the product is here in USA but I've seen several reviews and generally good things about it...

Riderscan

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The stock mirrors were not working for me - big elbows like everybody else here. So when I saw your post & pics I ordered a pair. Now I'm waiting on the UPS guy.

Thanks Upshift!

Last edited:

upshiftoverdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you know if those R6 mirror would fit the 06' FZ6?

Not exactly sure, if you just wanted to look at the way your mirrors are mounted on your bike, you can tell. The mirrors on the 2003-2009 R6 and 2007+ FZ6 have two 10mm bolts that go through the fairing and are tightened up with a nut on the inside. It is really easy to take apart the upper fairing and check.

Jacknife91

Rubber Otaku
Reaction score
Visit site
Not exactly sure, if you just wanted to look at the way your mirrors are mounted on your bike, you can tell. The mirrors on the 2003-2009 R6 and 2007+ FZ6 have two 10mm bolts that go through the fairing and are tightened up with a nut on the inside. It is really easy to take apart the upper fairing and check.

Alrighty. I'll go check that in a little bit. Thanks for the the info. :thumbup:

upshiftoverdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
Alrighty. I'll go check that in a little bit. Thanks for the the info. :thumbup:

No problem, sorry it took so long for me to respond.

I've been using stock mirrors but have considered switching to bar ends in addition to a RiderScan mirror. Not sure how popular the product is here in USA but I've seen several reviews and generally good things about it...

Riderscan

Hmm, very interesting idea, thanks for the link!

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have BIG elbows, and a broad manly chest. (Need a smiley here with a bigger smirk)

I bought the R6 versions that Upshift posted from Amazon $18.99. They arrived last week. It took perhaps 30 minutes to install them. The quality is pretty good though not quite the same as the stock ones. They look fine, though one of the rubber bonnets at the connection to the fairing was squished in the packaging and hasn't quite straightened out.

I've been out for a few miles on the bike and really appreciate the better rear view. It isn't perfect but you can see folks right behind you with a minor elbow dip instead of a more involved full body twist. :thumbup:

They're not a lot wider than the stocks, maybe 1/2 inch per side.

However I found that the right one was in the path of the front brake lever if the bar is turned all the way to the left. The mirror pods are just above the levers. After parking and setting the forks lock, I found the right mirror was pointed to the sky. Took a few times to figure out the cause. Then I had a near miss in my driveway. As I was doing a tight left turn my right hand hit the mirror, that jammed the brake and I had to hop a few times to avoid dropping the bike.

So, I reset the forks to raise them back to the top of the headset. The prev owner had dropped them an inch. I also rotated the lever a bit lower and now I have plenty of clearance. The lever is in a better place now. I was having to rotate my hand back a bit to get on the lever.

Chris

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The R6 versions are a lot lower and a bit wider. I think the extra width part is what makes the difference. Again, the rear view is still a bit limited but it's a LOT better.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The R6 versions are a lot lower and a bit wider. I think the extra width part is what makes the difference. Again, the rear view is still a bit limited but it's a LOT better.
Yeah I noticed the bit of added width but...I felt like the fact that they would lower would make them worse since they'd be MORE on level with the elbows (unless it's a matter of getting them UNDER the elbows to see...)

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
Finally, a bonus to being little! I can see past my elbows in my stock mirrors. :D

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
AHH! That's what I forgot to put as a option in the poll, was stock mirrors with spacers!

Yes, I think that the R6 mirrors eliminate a lot of that problem you are talking about as they are lower and further out, but whatever works. :thumbup:

Here are some pics of mine....

How are the R6 mirrors working for you? Any updates?

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Joe,

You were asking Upshift but I don't think he's posted anything since Sept.

I also installed the R6 mirrors like the inexpensive ones he got from Amazon. I'm very happy with then and have driven about 1500 miles after the change - had 500 miles or a bit fewer before the change. I can check behind me much better with the R6 versions. I have not seen any difference in vibrations. Just like the stock ones they fuzz out when accelerating hard, but calm down to almost rock steady when you get off the throttle.

I mentioned that a rubber boot at the base of one of them was mis-shapen when I took it out of the box, but that straightened out nicely after being installed for a few weeks.

The main diff is that they are closer to the bars and I had to adjust the levers to avoid having then hit the mirrors on a pk lot type turn.

I have NO plans to go back to the stock mirrors.

Chris

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Joe,

You were asking Upshift but I don't think he's posted anything since Sept.

I also installed the R6 mirrors like the inexpensive ones he got from Amazon. I'm very happy with then and have driven about 1500 miles after the change - had 500 miles or a bit fewer before the change. I can check behind me much better with the R6 versions. I have not seen any difference in vibrations. Just like the stock ones they fuzz out when accelerating hard, but calm down to almost rock steady when you get off the throttle.

I mentioned that a rubber boot at the base of one of them was mis-shapen when I took it out of the box, but that straightened out nicely after being installed for a few weeks.

The main diff is that they are closer to the bars and I had to adjust the levers to avoid having then hit the mirrors on a pk lot type turn.

I have NO plans to go back to the stock mirrors.

Chris
Thanks for the update Chris, do you have stock bars or fz1 bars?