What was the Design Specification for the 04 - 09 Fizzer??

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Post your thoughts on what the creators may have had in mind when they put the plans together to design our bike. As in, what were the original design inputs that created this bike! They had a plan and a target - lets see if we can re-create it! :thumbup:

Perhaps Specify S1 vs S2 in your post if applicable....

Some things that come to mind:
1) Make it upright
2) Lets not reinvent the wheel -> use R6 front and rear wheels + brakes! (keep cost down)
3) We have an engine. See item #4! lol
4) DO NOT allow it to outperform Flagship 600cc R6
5) Target audience. Who was it; _____ ??
6) Target cost
7) Fuel range???
X) Engine, Suspension, whatever.....
... ... ... Keep going. What comes to your mind?

And why the FZ6R getting a steel frame and going down on power?? New rider intro?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Post your thoughts on what the creators may have had in mind when they put the plans together to design our bike. As in, what were the original design inputs that created this bike! They had a plan and a target - lets see if we can re-create it! :thumbup:

Perhaps Specify S1 vs S2 in your post if applicable....

Some things that come to mind:
1) Make it upright
2) Lets not reinvent the wheel -> use R6 front and rear wheels + brakes! (keep cost down)
3) We have an engine. See item #4! lol
4) DO NOT allow it to outperform Flagship 600cc R6
5) Target audience. Who was it; _____ ??
6) Target cost
7) Fuel range???
X) Engine, Suspension, whatever.....
... ... ... Keep going. What comes to your mind?

And why the FZ6R getting a steel frame and going down on power?? New rider intro?

The FZR going to a steel frame and down on power, IMO, is strictly a cost saving event. It certainly won't perform like the earlier models and likely being cheaper, more basic, is aimed more at the new rider (a bit harder to get into trouble) and affordable/competitive with other similar style bikes...

Re the target audience for the initial S1 and S2, I suspect the target was to be a general, all around bike, targeted at all. Not necessarily a LD bike, but a commuter, around town bike.

Not too fancy, good HP to weight ratio, upright seating, relativly simple to work on. Good for a beginner (short of the clutch engaugement), and good priced and still good for an experianced rider. A bike you won't necessarily out grow of quickly, if at all..

With the FZR changes, and the intro of the FZ9, I suspect Yamaha is pushing the more experianced riders to upgrading to the 9.. A bit larger for a mid sized bike, but still not a liter bike..

Last edited:

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Probably the best description that comes to my mind in terms of what the designers thought is: Base Model.

I rode ATVs and dirtbikes when I was a kid, but I knew nothing about road bikes when I signed onto the forum. But what I did know is that everything I read pointed me towards one of 3(ish) bikes. Yamaha FZ6, Honda Hornet (CB600F) or Suzuki SV650. I know most people say not to start on a 600 but I've never been a good listener :rolleyes: .

With that said, there is clearly a market segment which consists of bikes which make decent power, get good mileage, are comfortable enough to ride for a full tank plus some, and have at least some fairing. I've not done much research into which bike came out first, or which company first started making a mid-range bike with a respectable price and good specs for the money, but it's obvious to me that all of the major companies were targeting people who like the look of super sport bikes, but didn't have the money to spend (or just didn't want to) on a race bike for the street, and still wanted something fun and comfortable to ride.