where do you keep registration/proof of insurance?

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been keeping my registration and proof of insurance in an internal pocket of my coat, but - sometimes I wear a different coat, so that's not a great solution. I thought about under the seat, but it's not exactly weather(water)-proof. Wondering what other people do. _Surely_ there are some clever options out there....

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been keeping my registration and proof of insurance in an internal pocket of my coat, but - sometimes I wear a different coat, so that's not a great solution. I thought about under the seat, but it's not exactly weather(water)-proof. Wondering what other people do. _Surely_ there are some clever options out there....

I have two credit cards, 20-30$ including some spare change, expired driver's license, proof of insurance, and some photocopies of registration in a couple of ziplock bags under the seat :) besides my OEM tool kit..!

Last edited:

roleya

Reaction score
Visit site
I keep them both in a plastic bag in the lining of my helmet. Previous owner had them under the seat, but without all the extra goodies that raja777m listed.

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Registration and proof of insurance are in a bag under the seat strapped down under the tool kit. Never had a problem with it like this.

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine are under the seat in a ziplock bag. My Sprint has a locked "glove box" in the front fairing. Very cool! Fits proof of ins and registrations as well as my little wallet.

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Like most other posts, I keep mine in a small plastic bag under the seat, but I'm thinking with more and more insurance outfits offering electronic copies for your smart phone, I may go that way. Now if the state can just get the registration available that way... Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha, yeah, right, not in MY lifetime.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In my wallet, on my person.

Should my bike get stolen, I want the VIN # NOW to call into the police.

Should the bad guy, who stole your bike, find the registration under the seat, he can give it to the police and say its a relatives bike.
If the Police Officer doesn't run it(if its stolen) he may very well let the guy go.

Bad guy with NO registration, the cops going to run it (or should and the bike comes back hot)...

**Should you be in a wreck and are unconscious, the FIRST PLACE the police are going to look is your wallet.

Tucked in the padding of the helmet, no way, under the seat, the cops are not going to want to move the bike
as they now have a scene and very likely won't open (if they can find the lock) the seat looking.

Last edited:

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Like most other posts, I keep mine in a small plastic bag under the seat, but I'm thinking with more and more insurance outfits offering electronic copies for your smart phone, I may go that way. Now if the state can just get the registration available that way... Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha, yeah, right, not in MY lifetime.

NC doesn't allow insurance on electronic yet.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
I keep them both in a plastic bag in the lining of my helmet. Previous owner had them under the seat, but without all the extra goodies that raja777m listed.

The reason to put credit card is, one of them is Discover, where I can freeze the who account using my smartphone app, AND Credit cards have 0$ liability, I got used to such things, I really don't worry about fraud charges.
[MENTION=3182]Scott[/MENTION], one thing for me is, I don't travel much, maybe once in a year, lately, and if I'm going away, I'll definitely put my bike in a friend's garage, other than that, I look at my bike morning and evening, so, in case if it is stolen, the first phone call will be to 911/local cops number, then to Progressive. I'll rethink my actions if anyone else also has objections in this habit.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My bike is in the garage however, it doesn't take professional thieves, a minute to load your bike in the back of a trailer/ PU truck while your say in the mall, in a restaurant, etc...

The more time it takes for you to provide the VIN# to the police (gotta get a ride home, find paper work, etc), that's valuable time wasted to the thief's advantage.

I worked more stolen vehicles where the registration was IN THE STOLEN CAR. It does not help....

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
My bike is in the garage however, it doesn't take professional thieves, a minute to load your bike in the back of a trailer/ PU truck while your say in the mall, in a restaurant, etc...

The more time it takes for you to provide the VIN# to the police (gotta get a ride home, find paper work, etc), that's valuable time wasted to the thief's advantage.

I worked more stolen vehicles where the registration was IN THE STOLEN CAR. It does not help....
deleted deleted

Last edited:

Puttin Along

Reaction score
Visit site
Why do you need all that stuff anyway? Just don't stop! This way you save $, get the benefits of an adrenaline dump, and can really learn to improve your riding skills, I mean I can't even think of any negative side effects; kinda like Bobby Possum Cod's Meth commercial(search youtube)! I do however keep 5 hundred dollar bills, a few joints, an eight ball, a lil meth, ibuprofen and condoms double bagged in a gallon zip loc bag under the seat. Come on you never know what you're gonna get into when you ride! Riding with out the essentials is like riding in shorts and flip flops, you just don't do it!

Love@FirstRide

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm with Scott on this one, ALWAYS keep your registration and insurance in your wallet.

He said it all, bike gets stolen, the guy who stole it has everything he needs under the seat to get away from a police officer legally. Same thing goes for your car. I think it even says it on the registration or insurance documents not to keep them in your car. I've got a tab in my wallet for my insurances and registrations for 2 cars and a bike. Means no fumbling around trying to find your stuff under your seat in in your helmet when its in your wallet next to your ID you need to show anyways

roleya

Reaction score
Visit site
In my wallet, on my person.

Should my bike get stolen, I want the VIN # NOW to call into the police.

**Should you be in a wreck and are unconscious, the FIRST PLACE the police are going to look is your wallet.

Tucked in the padding of the helmet, no way, under the seat, the cops are not going to want to move the bike
as they now have a scene and very likely won't open (if they can find the lock) the seat looking.

I have all ID numbers (VIN, insurance, etc.) saved in my phone, so I would have them with me when calling the police after theft.
If I'm unconscious, I have my cell phone with ICE contact numbers to call outside the lock screen.
Out of curiosity, how does your registration and insurance help you when you're unconscious? Is it to ease police reports?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Out of curiosity, how does your registration and insurance help you when you're unconscious? Is it to ease police reports?

If I'm unconscious, its much easier for the police to help find next of kin having an address (should you not have your drivers licence on you-seen that HUNDREDS of times). I l also have ICE in my phone, however if your phone needs to be un-locked to access it OR, its damaged in a wreck (we're talking serious wreck-your unconscious), its useless....

Also, depending on your location, in Florida for instance, your required to provide your licence, registration (not a copy on your phone- I wouldn't want your phone-period for a traffic stop) and insurance (depending on your situation-age-health ins, etc).

Do as you wish, I'm just letting you know what is easier should you need your registration-bike stolen, wrecked, its a piece of PAPER!

roleya

Reaction score
Visit site
Do as you wish, I'm just letting you know what is easier should you need your registration-bike stolen, wrecked, its a piece of PAPER!

I'm just terrible about remembering my wallet so often, so I try to put DL/Registration/insurance in the place where I can never forget, my helmet. You've certainly made me rethink this though, so I plan on printing off copies for my wallet as well. Thanks!

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If I'm unconscious, its much easier for the police to help find next of kin having an address (should you not have your drivers licence on you-seen that HUNDREDS of times). I l also have ICE in my phone, however if your phone needs to be un-locked to access it OR, its damaged in a wreck (we're talking serious wreck-your unconscious), its useless....

Also, depending on your location, in Florida for instance, your required to provide your licence, registration (not a copy on your phone- I wouldn't want your phone-period for a traffic stop) and insurance (depending on your situation-age-health ins, etc).

I'm mostly convinced here (keeping it on my person). Honestly not sure what the PA state laws are, but - if you have to have an original/not-copy on your person, what happens when I drive my wife's car? Does FL give you mulitiple copies by default, or do you have to order extra? If you are required to have an original with you - does that mean 1) your bike, 2) your car, 3) your SO vehicle... ? I hate a fat wallet, I try to keep as little as possible in there (and frankly if it is thick, I think I sit ****-eyed in my car, and can cause back issues - seriously, not kidding on that.

BTW, thanks to all who weigh in, this is a better thread than I imagined it would be.

##########

not sure why this BB needed to censor/censure my word above... it's a totally legit term... c*ck-eyed, as it sideways

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm mostly convinced here (keeping it on my person). Honestly not sure what the PA state laws are, but - if you have to have an original/not-copy on your person, what happens when I drive my wife's car? Does FL give you mulitiple copies by default, or do you have to order extra? If you are required to have an original with you - does that mean 1) your bike, 2) your car, 3) your SO vehicle... ? I hate a fat wallet, I try to keep as little as possible in there (and frankly if it is thick, I think I sit ****-eyed in my car, and can cause back issues - seriously, not kidding on that.

BTW, thanks to all who weigh in, this is a better thread than I imagined it would be.

##########

not sure why this BB needed to censor/censure my word above... it's a totally legit term... c*ck-eyed, as it sideways

For the above: c0ckeyed, use the ZERO and it'll show. ;)

Re Florida and likely up there.

Florida gives you ONE copy (registration) when you register and its pretty small to start with. I cut it down even more and have the bike, SUV, bike trailer all stapled together in my wallet.

Copies of the original are acceptable (as long as their legible).

Agreed on the fat wallet, I carry ONLY what I need. For around town, its not a problem.

Also to consider, on many registrations, it shows the owners BIRTHDATE. Nowadays, that's an invitation to identity theft (name, birthday, address, etc)
I have ONE credit card, just to lessen the chances of being a victim as its about common nowadays...

fmf

Reaction score
Visit site
my registration is that little sticker on my license plate. I keep my insurance card on my phone (Mississippi accepts electronic copies).