Which Coolant

raj_27

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I did my oil and oil filter change yesterday. I am planing to change coolant too (don't know when this was last changes may be never also cant see the level).

Can somebody recommend a brand i can just go and buy from an auto store? The Motul stuff is arround 40$ for 2 liters which seems bit excessive for coolant.

PFD023

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I did my oil and oil filter change yesterday. I am planing to change coolant too (don't know when this was last changes may be never also cant see the level).

Can somebody recommend a brand i can just go and buy from an auto store? The Motul stuff is arround 40$ for 2 liters which seems bit excessive for coolant.

I would just use the specs required on your service manual and buy the most inexpensive one which meets the specs. Never heard of quality issues related to coolant which met the specs of the bike it was used on. Don't fall a victim to the marketing.
You can also search the forum under "coolant" and you'll find a bunch of recommendations.

Last edited:

raj_27

Reaction score
Visit site

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As long as its glycol based (spoke about in depth in the above thread) WITHOUT silcates, you should be fine.

If the bike will eventually be in cold, (below freezing for winter) I wouldn't put water wetter and distilled water in, (I don't believe it has any anti freeze ingredients), you'll have a cracked block after the water freezes and expands. Now, if you change it again after summer.....

MC specific anti-freeze may have some additional additives (I don't know), but the Prestone 50/50, (no screwing around with mixing) is very available here, about $10.00 a gallon and fits the bill..

I checked on-line for specific ingredients (ie, silicates), in Prestone (Prestone web site-which I quoted).

I'd do the same re the other products your looking at just to make sure..:thumbup:

raj_27

Reaction score
Visit site
As long as its glycol based (spoke about in depth in the above thread) WITHOUT silcates, you should be fine.

If the bike will eventually be in cold, (below freezing for winter) I wouldn't put water wetter and distilled water in, (I don't believe it has any anti freeze ingredients), you'll have a cracked block after the water freezes and expands. Now, if you change it again after summer.....

MC specific anti-freeze may have some additional additives (I don't know), but the Prestone 50/50, (no screwing around with mixing) is very available here, about $10.00 a gallon and fits the bill..

I checked on-line for specific ingredients (ie, silicates), in Prestone (Prestone web site-which I quoted).

I'd do the same re the other products your looking at just to make sure..:thumbup:

Thanks again TownsendsFJR1300

I am still looking for one which is silicate free. I visited a auto store which had none so far. Best i can find was low silicate glycol based. I will go for more stores tomorrow. It would be nice if one of our aussie riders tell me what they used when they did their coolant change.

On another note can anyone see the coolant level from coolant indicator\reservoir?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks again TownsendsFJR1300

I am still looking for one which is silicate free. I visited a auto store which had none so far. Best i can find was low silicate glycol based. I will go for more stores tomorrow. It would be nice if one of our aussie riders tell me what they used when they did their coolant change.

On another note can anyone see the coolant level from coolant indicator\reservoir?

As that reservoir gets older, it gets yellow and much harder to see. I found putting a strong flash light (for the 07 and up) behind it and gently rocking it will show the level.

If you have an earlier model, and can't tell as its under the seat, you can remove the cap, and put a "dip stick" (screwdriver, straight steel coat hanger) down until you touch fluid. Compare that to the side marks and you'll know the approx level.

raj_27

Reaction score
Visit site
Lot harder than i thought it would be. I cannot find a coolant in an auto store which is glycol based and silicates free.I have found a lot of Red/orange (OAT) ones which are silicate free. I might have to go and visit bike shops now.

Hello Aussies, anyone changed coolant recently ? what did you use.

raj_27

Reaction score
Visit site
Check out tectaloy coolants, i'm pretty sure they have some silicate free coolants.

Thanks Ben

None of tectaloys were mentioned as silicate free, when i rang tectaloy they did say that Tectaloy Long Life Coolant is silicate free. Now i need to find a store which sells them the smallest size i can get is 5L concentrate. May be i will go to a motor bike shop check what they got.