Need Help Which way do the ignition coils plug in?

NEBO

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all, my first post here after being a long time lurker.

I've been chasing down an intermittent code 33 on the bike. The ignition coil spade terminals are marked with '+' and '-', is it correct to assume that the red wire goes on the '+' and orange wire goes on the '-'?
Also found the cyl 2/3 coil connected backwards, does that affect anything? (I know an error on that coil would give a code 34 instead of the 33 that I have.)

Sorry if its a silly question, I've looked at the service manual wiring diagram but I couldn't figure out for sure. Also no luck with google.
Attached image on how I plugged mine in. TIA!

photo_2022-07-11_21-16-59.jpg

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all, my first post here after being a long time lurker.

I've been chasing down an intermittent code 33 on the bike. The ignition coil spade terminals are marked with '+' and '-', is it correct to assume that the red wire goes on the '+' and orange wire goes on the '-'?
Also found the cyl 2/3 coil connected backwards, does that affect anything? (I know an error on that coil would give a code 34 instead of the 33 that I have.)

Sorry if its a silly question, I've looked at the service manual wiring diagram but I couldn't figure out for sure. Also no luck with google.
Attached image on how I plugged mine in. TIA!

View attachment 75037

It is just a coil, so I can't see it being an issue and I am REALLY sure that it would not throw a 33 code.

I recommend an easy test. Swap the coils and see what happens to the error code. If the code changed to a 34, you have a bad coil. If it stays a 33, then it is the wiring or connectors of ECU circuitry.

NEBO

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi trepetti, thanks for the reply. Good to know polarity doesn't matter.

I've already replaced the coil with a new one I had, bike has been running well so far but on a recent ride I felt one intermittent loss of power again.
Check on diagnostic mode memory and it was code 33 again!
Will have a look at the ECU and wiring next.

NEBO

Reaction score
Visit site
On another note, while replacing the coil I tested the spark plug cap resistance.

Cyl 1 spark plug cap: 8.74k ohms
Cyl 4 spark plug cap: 9.37k ohms

Since the manual only gives one value (10k ohms) as 'in-spec', I wonder if my readings were sufficiently off to warrant replacement?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
On another note, while replacing the coil I tested the spark plug cap resistance.

Cyl 1 spark plug cap: 8.74k ohms
Cyl 4 spark plug cap: 9.37k ohms

Since the manual only gives one value (10k ohms) as 'in-spec', I wonder if my readings were sufficiently off to warrant replacement?
Close enough. The resistance that would effect your error codes will be the primary winding resistance.