why is an aftermarket exhaust so expensive?

red_rock_beetle

Reaction score
Visit site
ive been looking around at prices for exhaust, both full and slip on, and was shocked.
a few years back i bought a fully polished stainless 3" exhaust for my audi and it was ~$800
can someone tell me why THIS cost almost as much as THIS
:confused::confused:

Last edited:

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Wondered the same thing recently, just bought a CS ONE for the V a few days ago, got a good price but i'm 1000% sure that they make these exhausts for probably 1/10th of the final price...

riderlak1

Reaction score
Visit site
Depending on what brand/style etc that you get you can find some near the $500 range if you stay away from carbon or titanium.

I did a big comparison a few months back that prices out the major ones and compares the cheapest websites I could find at the time. FWIW I bought my scorpion carbon fiber set for $565 shipped.

MACH3

nudist
Reaction score
Visit site
Agreed about the costs, it took me 3 years to save up for my leos (lv one) it is by far the best change and investment i have made to the fz.

Its like the icing on the cake its a real bike now,why the hell the oem cans were so crap is beyond me !:BLAA:

fazed_ya

Reaction score
Visit site
I believe that the cost of our exhaust is due to the style. Under mount dual cans. Its way more expensive then say a single can side mount yoshi

red_rock_beetle

Reaction score
Visit site
Wrong pic guys I'm sorry
~$800
IMG_0413.jpg

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
Agreed about the costs, it took me 3 years to save up for my leos (lv one) it is by far the best change and investment i have made to the fz.

Its like the icing on the cake its a real bike now,why the hell the oem cans were so crap is beyond me !:BLAA:

What classifies a "real bike"? The OEM cans have to meet noise and emission requirements as set forth by various govt agencies. Nearly all aftermarket cans and exhaust have a disclaimer when you buy them as "off road use only".

Some areas have passed laws or are working on passing laws that allow an officer to look for the required federal roll mark on the exhaust. Again most aftermarket exhaust do not have any such roll mark.

There's already a federal law that prohibits the modification of a stock exhaust to be louder than a certain dB which I forget right now It's around 80 or 90 for a stock OEM exhaust. It's just one of those things thats never enforced by any inspection station I've been to here.

Highway Motorcycles -- Exhaust Emission Standards | Emission Standards Reference Guide | US EPA

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:

I believe that the cost of our exhaust is due to the style. Under mount dual cans. Its way more expensive then say a single can side mount yoshi

If you compare the costs of exhausts for an FZ6 to lots of other sport or sport type bikes the costs are similar. They cost that much cause people are willing to pay that kind of money for what amounts to a noise maker. Why drop the prices when people will pay what you are charging?

MACH3

nudist
Reaction score
Visit site
What classifies a "real bike"? The OEM cans have to meet noise and emission requirements as set forth by various govt agencies. Nearly all aftermarket cans and exhaust have a disclaimer when you buy them as "off road use only".

Some areas have passed laws or are working on passing laws that allow an officer to look for the required federal roll mark on the exhaust. Again most aftermarket exhaust do not have any such roll mark.

I suggest you take a closer look at the Scorpion and Leovince site! Both manufacturers pass required noise and emission tests and are fully road legal !

What i meant by REAL BIKE is that it now sounds and feels like a 600cc bike with the new cans the oems were so restrictive for many reasons inc looks, sound + weight.

Bottomline is change the cans dude you wont regret it !:rockon:

Last edited:

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would imagine R&D plays a pretty big factor.. Just like anything else yes they may be able to produce that exhaust for 1/10 the cost but they have to pay for the machines to make the products, employees to make the products, taxes, factory space, and of course the whole reason of doing so to make money....

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't speak for all of the manufacturers, but the R&D (and marketing) answer posited above probably comes pretty close to explaining why aftermarket exhausts cost so much.

There are also a couple of other factors, namely:

1) we have two separate cans to worry about which effectively doubles the cost

2) there is a market for this kind of product, and people keep paying that kind of price for that kind of nonessential performance product.

3) Greed - always remember greed. If they can make say, 40% profit, instead of 20% profit, which one do you think the manufacturers and distributors will choose? To help out the consumer out of the goodness of their hearts? I doubt it.

Check out this awesome article which ran in Sport Rider magazine here in the U.S. recently. Akrapovic is a high-tech operation and they purchased a lot of inventory to hedge against fluctuations in the cost of raw materials, namely titanium:

Akrapovic Exhausts Factory - Sport Rider Magazine

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I would imagine R&D plays a pretty big factor.. Just like anything else yes they may be able to produce that exhaust for 1/10 the cost but they have to pay for the machines to make the products, employees to make the products, taxes, factory space, and of course the whole reason of doing so to make money....
Not convinced about the R&D costs TBH. They develop one can & use it for every bike. Maybe shorter or longer or two of them or different wrap. The major thing that changes is the Y pipe or adapter pie etc. And that is probably one guy with a welder and a couple of hours. You can see from the flow on our bike with Scorpions etc that it isn't engineered that well! Homemade ones tend to be better planned as they are willing to put in the time.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not convinced about the R&D costs TBH. They develop one can & use it for every bike. Maybe shorter or longer or two of them or different wrap. The major thing that changes is the Y pipe or adapter pie etc. And that is probably one guy with a welder and a couple of hours. You can see from the flow on our bike with Scorpions etc that it isn't engineered that well! Homemade ones tend to be better planned as they are willing to put in the time.

I completely agree!!!!

Supply and Demand!!!!
They have it, we want it, and WE PAY! The bikes OEM pipes have lots more R&D than anything after market. They do more research trying to find what all they can fit it too but the general specs don't change much as far as internal design goes. And does a single CF shell (12" long) really cost $100 :Flip: . . . All Lies and pure profit!

And that SOOOOOOO cracks me up; A complete Auto exhaust in SS or 30" of pipe and a bracket for $800!!! What a JOKE!!!!