Why your Phillips-head screws strip

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Read about this a couple months ago in Motorcycle Consumer News (the only MC magazine I still subscribe to).
Those "phillips-head" screws on Japanese bikes, cars and cameras are not Phillips-head, they are what's called "JIS":

73294d1287169479-stuck-aperture-ring-50-1-7-jis-sd-jpg

attachment.php

Cross-head screws - a caution: - PentaxForums.com

Turns out, very few people know about this, and American toolmakers such as Snap-On don't even make them (a Google search on "JIS drivers" will find a source.) I was reminded of this article after reading Sumofclay's "Bolts?" thread. Phillips screwdrivers can work, but this is why they so easily strip out.

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
HATE Phillips .. and now JIS too!! Ninja 250 had fairing fasteners with Phillips heads .. AND they were made from soft cheese!! Good luck getting those out without stripping!

Allen heads for the win!

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives

this covers about all the screw types Ive ever come across and then way more as well.
I was thinking of the pozidrive as being the other one that is a real pain, specially when you use one of thos bits in a conventional philips and it stuffs it real quick

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
Yup, I introduced an engineer friend to that a while back, he was having a hell of a time rounding out heads on his Jetskis. He ordered a couple JIS screwdrivers from McMaster-Carr. I forget what brand he said showed up, but IIRC they were something pretty good like Wiha or Witte.

I use a cordless impact driver on anything I think I might cam out... as well as pretty much anything I don't, too. :D The impact action and ability to put a ton of pressure into it make damaging the head a lot less likely. When working on my own stuff, I then throw the screws in a bin, and replace them with a stainless allen head that looks better, doesn't rust, and is a lot harder to strip out. :thumbup:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Allen heads for the win!

I guess this is where my newly-acquired BMW snobbishness kicks in: "Allen Heads? Oh yeah, you ride that harley thing, right? Torx all the way. How can you sit on those Greyhound seats during your vacation?!?"

:BLAA: :BLAA: :BLAA: :BLAA:

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
True, never had a problem with screws with the right screwdriver. They are just like torx in a way. If you use a T20-5 on a T27-30 your going to screw (pun intended) it up.

If all else fails. Take a cutoff wheel and cut a flat blade spot in it. Or if it is as another member described "made of cheese" the a simple chisel and hammer will do.

I know it's extremely unorthodox. But I have actually gotten allens out with torx and visa versa out safely. Tho not recommended on bigger bolts like the ones that hold your gas tank on, seems like it has to be standard to.

Ill inquire with my snap on guy about this though. Can't believe a company that makes every tool for every job doesn't have them. Damn Japanese

Last edited:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
"How can you sit on those Greyhound seats during your vacation?!?"

I wrote that just last night, obviously under the influence of too much wine (I had today off). Just what the hell was I talking about??? :confused:

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
^ Nif att 'ont work, drill tha sumb**** out and put sumthin else in 'ere.

Was that a southern joke? ;)

Even with stripped bolts. It's 10000x. Easier to try and get it out before you drill and re tap.

I work on some of the most mistreated vehicles. (Southern used carlot!) for a living. We had a Pontiac G6 in here yesterday. The bolts somehow sheared (come to find out after we noticed. Yeah she ran it into the ditch.) the AC compressor bolts out. IN THE BLOCK. But yeah, it had to be drilled and retapped with a M10 tap. But we did cut a groove with a cutoff wheel 1st thing.