Winter project complete!

ticktock

Reaction score
Visit site
So, it's all done and ready to go. Off the bat I need to thank Cliff (Motogiro) and Borka from BKMoto for helping me along with the wiring questions. I wouldn't have been able to do all of this if it wasn't for this board.

Did this entire conversion keeping the stock wiring harness, adding in the BD43 dual headlight mod (which I had already done prior) and wiring up the HID/Halo and the ballast/inverter with an H4 plug. I was actually able to stuff the ballast and a chunk of the harness under the tank in front of the battery. Was a jenga nightmare, but it all fits!

Here goes:

8582838527_f401a794f9.jpg

Custom blue halo and HID Bi-Xenon 8000K bulb inside a Honda Sonic style headlamp. Headlight brackets were found on the internet somewhere and modified to accommodate the turn signals and main lamp. Turn signals are from Lockhart Philips. FZ1 bars. Oury grips. Rhinomoto weighted bar ends. CRG knock off bar end mirrors. 2Wheels levers.

Better view with the halo off:

8583939154_e5dd8812b7.jpg

Rider view:

8582838477_269b6bf936.jpg

Bought a speedo bracket from Lean69 and modified it a bit for the installation. Added a simple slim 2 prong rocker switch to isolate the halo from the main bulb while riding. So I have halo, halo and low beam, and high beam. Didn't wire in the 25 watt top lamp. I had it wired in for the bright signal but it looked silly (because the HID overpowers it and the color is spectacular), so I scrapped it.

Side view:

8582838503_7b4235a8c3.jpg

With a lot of patience, I was able to really tuck all of the wiring. Even that giant stock harness/flasher relay/extra H4 socket are all in there neatly.

Horn relocation:

8583939208_233e603d38.jpg

Ground down the horn bracket and flipped it. Extended the wires and reconnected it. Blends in pretty nicely.

Left view:

8582838437_811f676279.jpg

Right view:

8582838465_bcac892ef1.jpg

Also, big thanks to this guy:

410xoW8meuL.jpg

Was able to do the entire job wirelessly thanks to that little torch/soldering iron/heat gun combo in 1.

There's only 1 thing that's left on my list. Currently waiting for a Simpson Detour belly pan to be delivered from the UK. Once it comes in and I slap it on, all I need are some new tires and I'll be set for spring.

Again, sincere thanks to everyone who has helped turn the bike into what it is today (especially the above mentioned and Erci). I've already gotten "Is it a Ducati?" "Is it a Suzuki?" "Is it a Triumph?"

I like to keep people guessing!

Last edited:

ticktock

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks fantastic! An amazing job! I love the look of the HID!!

Much thanks. I tried to take a few pictures of the halo on with the main lamp, but it was so bright the picture was kinda worthless. I'll definitely have no problem seeing at night. Also, I was very impressed with the spread of light out of the high beam.

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
Much thanks. I tried to take a few pictures of the halo on with the main lamp, but it was so bright the picture was kinda worthless. I'll definitely have no problem seeing at night. Also, I was very impressed with the spread of light out of the high beam.

When I eventually retire my FZ as a touring bike, and can afford a larger ride, like the FJR, this is definitely the route I am going with the bike! Very cool indeed!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The pics all work for me. Excellent conversion :thumbup:

Well done, Nick!

Reaction score
Visit site
Hm, they work OK for me. I have them hosted on Flickr. Can anyone else confirm if they are down?

Thanks.

Firefox does not show anything, but Chrome is displaying these "broken link" symbols:

EDIT: forgot to mention - I do see the Bernzomatic pic in both browsers..

Last edited:

ticktock

Reaction score
Visit site
Firefox does not show anything, but Chrome is displaying these "broken link" symbols:

EDIT: forgot to mention - I do see the Bernzomatic pic in both browsers..

Sorry man but I think it's on your end somewhere. My phone, iPad, and computer all load it fine. Maybe Flickr is down in your area or something.

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry man but I think it's on your end somewhere. My phone, iPad, and computer all load it fine. Maybe Flickr is down in your area or something.

Yep, it is PeerBlock... It block "Inktomi Corp" from spamming the ports. I did not notice it flashing in the taskbar.. (need a coffee!)
Anyways - that bike looks fantastic. Awesome job there :thumbup: