Wiring Heated Grips

raj_27

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the information in the forum for installing handgrips, its great help. With lot of searching i have figured out what i need to do to wire a relay between battery and grips so that they are switched with the ignition key. Installed the grips and grip controller, now i am stuck and confused what should i do.

There are plastic connectors at the end of wires from each hairgrips which connect to controller. Another connector at controller connects a long wire which connects battery.

Untitled_zpscf6bfdbc.png

when i try to route wiring same way as all other handle bar mounted cables, the connectors sit out side. They are not long enough to end near battery. They are not even long enough to be tucked in the fairing.

My questions are

can i leave them outside where water and dust can get into or should i cut the connectors and solder and heat shrink them? Or am i missing something?

raj_27

Reaction score
Visit site
The manual mentions to put a insulation tape on top of the connectors. I just did that and is tied to front forks. I have my relay on top of battery and wired in with crimp connectors. These are not waterproof connections so are all the others ( factory connections).

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You should be able to use shrink tubing to weatherize your connectors. :)

raj_27

Reaction score
Visit site
I thought about it. I should have. I should have used a black tape at least that red one looks horrible.

Even better if i had cut those connectors and soldered that would have made neat wiring.