Wisconsin-Colorado-Wisconsin

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, Last thursday some friends and I headed Westbound for the Million Dollar Highway in Colorado. We'd been planning the trip for a while and it was finally time to head out.
Thursday after work, we headed out and made it to Madison where we stayed the night at a friends house.
Friday AM we took off from there and made it to Lincoln, NE. Nothing too exciting about that ride, just pounded I-80 Westward.
Saturday morning we headed out nice and early again and made it into Denver, Co, once again, nothing exciting there.
Sunday morning we took off out of Denver and headed south on hwy 285, Finally hitting some scenery and it was awesome!! We hit Highway 50 West and hit Monarch pass where I met a crazy Swedish man who explained to me how my fz6, or fire-horse as he called it had spirit. It was worth a good laugh anyway!! After traveling 50 to Montrose, we headed on 550 south to Ouray, Co where we based for a few nights. We stayed at the Riverside Inn, which was a nice little mom and pop hotel and cabins.
Monday morning we finally headed off to see the best of the Million Dollar Highway. We headed south from Ouray to Silverton and down to Durango on 550. From there West to Delores on 160 and 184. The North on 145 to Telluride and then up around the Mountains and back down into Ouray for the evening. I must say THE SCENERY WAS AWESOME. The million Dollar highway was beautiful!!!
Tuesday we decided to take a day off the bikes and rented a Jeep to go play off road with. I know its not fun on 2 wheels, but It was still and awesome time. We headed up into the San Juan Mtn ranges on 4X4 only trails and had an awesome time checking out old mines and a pretty cool ghost town. The trails were fun with the steep switchbacks and were definitely not for the faint of heart.
Wednesday we decided that we would head eastwards towards the Royal Gorge/ Colorado Springs area. We started heading east and came across some bad news: The Wildfires over there may be in the royal gorge area. So, we made a quick stop at the US Forestry Dept to confirm that the area was closed as well as there being some major road closings. So we made a little game play change and headed northward to Rocky Mtn National Park. Late in the evening we arrived at the edge of the park where we got a hotel room and checked in for the night.
Thursday were took our sight seeing loop through the park. at one point my Gps read an elevation of 12,250', the fz6 also conferred with its own lack of power. After the park we then headed east and made it to North Platte, NE. Once again nothing too exciting about I-80 through that state.
Friday morning we got up and hit it for another day of riding on I-80. Our goal was to make it to Cedar rapids.. but being in the mid-west.. I mean rain-belt, we got poured on and decided to hang it up for the evening. Good call too, about an hour after we checked into a hotel, some pretty severe storms rolled through.
Saturday AM we got up early and headed to Anamosa, IA to the Vintage Motorcycle museum. It was a worth while stop as they had some interesting old bikes!! From there we headed home to north central, WI! Trip Over:(
I WILL GO AGAIN!! IT WAS BEAUTIFUL!

Observations: The little 600cc motor loses most sense of power in the altitude. I started noticing it in Denver and by the time we would hit some of the mtn passes at 10,000'+ the poor little bike was pretty anemic.. The worst of it was taking off fully loaded: me(fat and full of food) + all bags + full tank of gas. I ended up raising the idle to help out.

Million Dollar Highway Warning: Its getting chip-sealed :thumbdown: ya know where they spread hot tar on the road and then spread gravel chip on top? UGH!! What a way to ruin a road. The first day we rode it they had only started the process so we only had about 1/2 mile of it to deal with. We tried again to ride it after the jeep rental, by that time they had chip sealed miles of it and piles of rock were left everywhere. It was treacherous.

Pics to Come!!

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's not a ride unless you get rained on:BLAA: Sounds like you had a great time, thanks for sharing it with us:thumbup:

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome! Nice write-up and great pics. You motored right by my house on the MDH, makes me appreciate it even more! Take care and ride safe.

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
Majortom, The highway was great, unfortunately the chipseal on the MDH sucked. Do you know how much theyre going to do?

Lytehouse, Do you know the condition of the Royal Gorge area, I heard that the park area was pretty devastated from the fires?

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Majortom, The highway was great, unfortunately the chipseal on the MDH sucked. Do you know how much theyre going to do?

Lytehouse, Do you know the condition of the Royal Gorge area, I heard that the park area was pretty devastated from the fires?

48 out of 52 structures were burned, the bridge was damaged, but I heard they did drive a car across it! Guess that guy lost at Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock, lol
And I have a friend riding the MDH tomorrow, I'll see what he can tell me about the conditions.

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice trip. I hate it when they screw up good roads.

Headed down to Tride tomorrow for the 40th bluegrass fest. Bringing my truck with camper though.

Funny thing, My Hotel room in Ouray was decorated with advertisement posters for the Telluride bluegrass fest. It looks like a hella good time!!

I was talking with my riding crew and then trip was so awesome that we might take a similar trip to CO again next year. Maybe we can schedule it during the bluegrass fest!