Yamaha Demo Rides this past Saturday

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
I was able to ride 3 bikes, a 2013 R6, 2013 V-Star 950 Touring, and a 2013 FJR1300. Here's what I thought about each bike...

R6 - Could be fun in the twisties, but as a daily rider there's no way I could use this bike without some modifications. The seating position was way too bent over for me, and my wrists couldn't handle much more then the 20 minute test ride. The angle of the handle bar and the positioning of the clutch made my left wrist ache for an hour after my ride was over. I think with different clipons and some control re-positioning it would have been a lot better, but I'm not sure what that may take away from the rest of the bikes design. They had a used 2007 Kawasaki ZX6R on the lot that felt a lot more comfortable. They also had a R1 available to test ride (I didn't ride this one but BlueMoon did) that felt better just siting on. Bottom line - if someone pulled up in my driveway and gave me a brand new R6, I'd ride it - but straight to the dealer to trade it in. For some I know this is the bike of choice, it just wasn't for me.

V-Star 950 Touring - Hmmm. This bike surprised me. When we pulled out of the parking lot my first thought was to turn around, I already knew I wasn't gonna like this bike. When we got up to the main road I started to tell the tail rider (I was the last bike in the pack) I wasn gonna take it back to the dealer. But I decided to give it a try anyway. Floorboards are wierd, never really liked the looks of them, and the recliner-feet up riding position was really hard to get comfortable with. After 5 minutes or so I started to settle in a bit and got used to me feet being in front of me. The heal shifter was also strange, but after a while it was kinda cool. I noticed the bike was very easy to steer, maybe because of the distance between the grips (pretty wide compared to everything else I've ridden). Turing was a bit unnerving when the floorboards would scrape, but it's not really made for sharp turning I guess and the floorboard do move to allow for this. I would have to do something with the wind screen. Above 45-50 MPH my helet was shaking so bad everything looked a little blurry. I believe it would have been fine with a taller or removed windscreen. Keep in mind I have never riden a cruiser before so I have nothing to compare it to, but at the end of the test ride I liked this bike.

FJR1300 - Where to begin? I have always like this bike, but never ridden one. Well, I damn near came home with one yesterday! They had a 2012 in the showroom, but the one I rode was a 2013. It was the smoothest, most comfortable bike I have ever ridden. Over the 2012 model, it had cruise control (which was really cool!), heated grips, and a sport/touring setting. The grips were plenty warm on the lowest setting with my winter gloves on (it was about 55*F when I rode it). cruise control was also a cool feature, and although it probably wouldn't get used too much would still be a nice thing to have for the longer rides. The different PCM maps for sport and touring were surprising. Most of the ride the setting was on sport. The acceleration was a lot like the FZ - ready to go when you are and excited about it. Setting it on touring didn't seem to lower the power, but it did seem make to smoother and less like it just wanted to take off. Hard to explain but both setting felt good :) The clutch was a bit tiring to hold while stopped. The pull was fine, but sitting at stops I noticed my hand getting tired more so then on the FZ. I think this is probably because of the hydraulic clutch, but either way it wasn't a bid deal. The adjustable windscreen was nice as well, I found the perfect setting was just above half way so there's plenty of room for other riders to adjust to their liking. I thought the size of the FJR compared to the FZ would make me feel small at first, but it was very manageable and well balanced. When slowing, I didn't have to put my foot down until I was pretty much completely stopped. It did take a little more to turn the bike in a tighter curve, but that's something else I could probably get used to. The bike was about 675 lbs (IIRC), but didn't feel bulky or heavy and was very manageable both when riding and backing it back in to the parking spot. (On a side note, they had a free quality inspection for anyone who brought their bike to the dealer. I rode my FZ around to the service dept right after I rode the FJR. My bike felt tiny compared to the FJR! It felt peppier and much more flickable just riding the 100 yards or so in the parking lot. Really a funny feeling.) The only thing that would take getting used to is the seat. Although it was comfortable, I'm used to feeling the rise of the back of the riders seat on the FZ. You really don't get that on the FJR, so I kinda felt like I might slide back when I really got in to that bad ass 1300cc power plant (and man did that feel GOOD!). I really can't say enough about this bike, I really liked it. The main thing that would keep me from buying one is the color. It's only available in gray, and even though it looks good, I'd rather have a less neutral color (like the blue 2012 they have!). For the price different (about a grand) I'd go with the 2013 for the extra options if they had it in another color.

I had a good time, got to talk with some interesting people, found out some thinks I didn't know and confirmed some that I was pretty sure about. The FJR is definitely the top bike on my list, I could possibly be a cruiser guy as long as it was a second bike, and the R6 is the most uncomfortable thing I've ever ridden :) But either way, I'd still keep my FZ6!

Last edited:

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like you had fun. The R6 I felt the same way but I found if I activated my core muscles and straightened my back it helped with the wrist. The seat and rearsets made it easier than on the ZX6R.

I agree with you totally on the FJR1300A. I liked the Sport/touring adjustability, the ABS and combined braking worked well (I rode a Concourse 1400 and it was all effed up). I think what you ran into for the seat issue is that the seat was rather long, but I found the back rest to be helpful.

Be interesting if you end up getting a new bike.