Yamaha Oil Filter

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
You really want to use a Yamaha Filter, might as well use a fram.

I noticed the filter you imaged was JFV-13440-00 and not a 5GH-13440-00 filter. Speaking for me alone, I have not heard of anyone having damaged their motorcycle by using the proper OEM filter. That's not say there have not been.

Now I'm not sure if the 5GH series uses a cardboard end cap? I will try not to assume that (because one manufacture uses different material) one performs better than another - I'm not going there. There are revisions 5GH-13440-00, 10, and 20 and what these are I'm interested to know. Not a big deal just interested.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Waaaa? I installed the Purlator Pure One 14610 my last oil change and now somebody says that it doesn't have a bypass? I thought I was doing my FZ a favor but now I'm running a filter w/o a bypass and the OEM filter does have a bypass? Great! Oh sure, some might say that oil will never clog up but, if you ask me, the bypass is "insurance" in case your clutch plates disinegrate or some other catastrophic event. No wonder Purlator doesn't cite in application booklets the 14610 or 14612 for the FZ6. BTW, is anyone having a problem with the license plate light bulb burning out frequently? I've gone through two now and have less than 7K. And the second one has problem been burned out for a long time? The oil filter is no big deal except maybe if there an oil delivery problem warranty probs might come up even if it isn't the filter's fault. You know, "non OEM" eyebrows will raise.

coursonap

Reaction score
profile.myspace.com
I have a 08 FZ6 s2 raven black the better looking one. I have used K&N oil filters and air filters in all of my vehicles the motorcycle is not going to be any different. Here are the specs for the K&N filter.
KN-204 Product Specifications
Product Style: Oil Filters
Height: 2.953 in (75 mm)
Outside Diameter: 2.673 in (68 mm)
Thread Inside Diameter: M20 x 1.5
PSI Relief Valve: 14.5
Anti Drain Back Valve: Yes
Style: Canister
Weight: 0.5 lb (0.2 kg)
Product Box Length: 2.75 in (70 mm)
Product Box Width: 2.75 in (70 mm)
Product Box Height: 3 in (76 mm

Kamloops

JoeDanger.com
Reaction score
www.joedanger.com
I use a WIX filter. After lots of research was going to go with a pureone but did not want a blue filter. Suppose I could have painted it but the WIX is black and is also a very good filter, better than OEM.

3706_1.gif

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just got a Pure One filter from Advance Auto, and they have new packaging. The filter is also painted caterpillar yellow now.

products_pure_main_pic1.jpg

products_pure_main_pic2.jpg

overview_C322403.jpg

Last edited:

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
Unverified, Purolator themselves does not recommend using these filters on motorcycles.

PureONE PL Model Filters NOT for Motorcycles

It seems to be a popular filter.
Very interesting discussion. The simple fact of the matter is no matter what the circumstances, if they haven't throughly tested the filter on motorcycles, they're not going to recommend it because it's their @$$ on the line if they say it's good and you have filter related problems. I dare you to walk into a bike dealer with 3 qts of Rotella and ask them to do an oil change. Most of them will say sure, but you can't use that oil, it's only for cars and will blow apart your clutch or something like that while it's widley known Rotella is a very good bike oil. With most things I've done or purchased, I rely more on end-user experiences, reviews, etc than I do manufactures, professional columns, etc. When I bought my FZ, i read the Yamaha-motor page, I read some professinal reviews, but what really swayed me was this forum, end users, real people, not testers and reviewers. The simple fact is, i've not read one instance of an end user having bike problems from using a Pureolator filter. Find one for me and I will of course reconsider what I use.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
mglowe: thanks for the link. I thought PureOne Filters were a slam dunk for the FZ and now I know that, uh, no, not exactly. The fact that Purolator does not list either the 14610 or 14612 filter as applicable for the FZ6 says a lot. After all, Purolator lists hundreds (1000's?) of applications and this tells me that the company---for some reason---is not comfortable listing our bike. Well, I'm not sure what to do now. Worse case scenario: if I have an warranty engine prob I'll switch out the current Purolator filter to an OEM before I bring it in. For now on, I'm going to stick with a filter that the manufacturer cites as applicable to a model. Sure, FZ6 Forum posters are a great reference regarding issues but, IMO, there's something amiss if the manufacturer doesn't include the FZ6 in its iol filter application references. Just because it fits is not enough for me. And, the stern advice from the Purolator rep against using the Purolator One filter for motorcycles raised my eyebrows. But, I'll be damned if I am going to shell out the $15 or so for the OEM Yamaha!. I think I'm going to go with/find something else...once I figure out what it is.

VWci

Reaction score
Visit site
Last oil change i changed my oil with mobil 1 racing 4t 15w-50 and use yamaha geniune oil filter 5GH134400000 for my FZ6...

by the way 2006 and 2007 model FZ6s have different oil filters....

coursonap

Reaction score
profile.myspace.com
K&n does recommend the KN-204 for the 07 and 08 fz6, and the KN-303
for 06 and earlier. That tells me something if they recommend it and nobody else recommends andy other type of filter besides the yamaha oem filter. I listed the specs on the K&N filter ealier in this discussion.

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Waaaa? I installed the Purlator Pure One 14610 my last oil change and now somebody says that it doesn't have a bypass? I thought I was doing my FZ a favor but now I'm running a filter w/o a bypass and the OEM filter does have a bypass? Great! Oh sure, some might say that oil will never clog up but, if you ask me, the bypass is "insurance" in case your clutch plates disinegrate or some other catastrophic event. No wonder Purlator doesn't cite in application booklets the 14610 or 14612 for the FZ6. BTW, is anyone having a problem with the license plate light bulb burning out frequently? I've gone through two now and have less than 7K. And the second one has problem been burned out for a long time? The oil filter is no big deal except maybe if there an oil delivery problem warranty probs might come up even if it isn't the filter's fault. You know, "non OEM" eyebrows will raise.

The Pure One does have a bypass in the filter. I believe the older Yamaha filter does not, but the current one does.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, looks like I had it reversed. The PureOne does, then have a bypass. But, now, if I understand, the OEM oil filter for 07-08 doesn't have a bypass. I'm properly confused. What does still seem curious is why a Purolator rep would advise AGAINST using a PureOne filter for the FZ6. And please, don't tell me that Purolator doesn't want to accept liability; Purolator lists 100's/1000's of applications for Purolator filters but...not for the FZ6.

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, looks like I had it reversed. The PureOne does, then have a bypass. But, now, if I understand, the OEM oil filter for 07-08 doesn't have a bypass. I'm properly confused. What does still seem curious is why a Purolator rep would advise AGAINST using a PureOne filter for the FZ6. And please, don't tell me that Purolator doesn't want to accept liability; Purolator lists 100's/1000's of applications for Purolator filters but...not for the FZ6.

Purolator wants to sell their motorcycle filter for more money. The correct one (I think) is ML16819. Any oil filter company is going to want to sell their specific products to fit your product. And incase you did not notice, attach "motocycle" to anything and you can ask for more money, it does not mean it is a better product. If the FZ6 took a catridge type filter (like my old Honda) then you have to buy exact copy in order too fit. I used Fram on my Honda and due to the design, did not allow them to use the paper end caps.

Many people are running the Pl 14610 and PL 14612 filters, i doubt that any have experienced a oil system realted failure.

Stephane

Stephane
Reaction score
Visit site
I serviced both the oil and filter today, after the removal of old filter I noticed my dealership gave me a Yamaha Oil filter SKU of 5GH-13440-00 and not . As you can see by the photos the 00 is longer and has more filter area than the 20. The parts manual asks for the 20, I wonder if there is any difference other than size? Is it possible the shorter filter has no bypass built in. I'll have to figure a way to open the new 5GH-13440-20 filter up and verify. Yet another mystery... does our bike then have built in bypass if the filter does not have it?

I'm also thinking I need to find another dealer if he cannot get the right part when asked. I shouldn't have to double check his PN's and I don't care for the "well we have this in stock" small business mentality. I should have taken it back and asked for the correct filter but... the larger filter element is appealing. :)

Update: Just called Yamaha's Customer Relations and spoke with a Jeff. He tells me the filter is compatible and that the last two digits are nothing more than revision numbers. The important thing is that the first eight match up. He was not able to explain what revisions were made.

So again I must open the new and later the old and see the internal difference.

My dealer sold me number 3FV-13440-10. He told me that's the new number of oil filter for FZ6 2006. I don't know if it's truth???