Zip ties One, lose caliper 0! Whats in your emergency fix it kit?

52pickup

Reaction score
Visit site
Riding home I some how lost not one but two of the bolt that attach the caliper to the front fork. How I lost the hardware mystifies me. My only warning was a slight bump which qucikly turned into a rattle. I'm no mechanic...and just bought my bike thLis spring so literally everything is new. But my "spider senses" must have kicked in as I pulled into a local convenience store. The caliper was just hanging there by the break line. I still had 15 miles to get home and A couple of kind folks helped me out and we figured zip ties would do the trick, but I didnt have any. Another onlooker came up with some and handed them to me with a smile. As i rode home I started to realized that I had no clue what kind of fix it kit should be included on all bikes. So FZ6 nation, what do you carry?

ctbandit

Fazer, don't even know er
Reaction score
Visit site
Holy ****!!! That could have been BAD. Had you recently worked on the front end?

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Your spider senses kicked in after your caliper was hanging off the fork dangling near a spinning wheel where at any time it could have got stuck in a spokes sending you over the handle bars. Not to mention at the very least making your front brake useless.

Hmmm, I would say it's time to work on your spider senses. Until then tighten all your bolts on your bike. This is not normal.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I forgot what I have extra in my stock tool kit besides a Dyna plug tire repair tool.

I would strongly suggest investing in a torque wrench and going over the entire bike. Its basic maintainance and will prevent later issues. (not judging, just something I feel anyone riding a bike should know what he's trusting his life to)

Short of picking up a nail in the tire, (not really preventable), I trust the bike 100% and really wouldn't be concerned at all about breakdowns.

The only thing I would add for a LD ride is a portable air compressor, again for a potential flat.

I have the oweres manual as a PDF file for the S2 model if you need one, PM if so.

PM also sent..

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with Scott's suggestion to check everything. As the OP noted, he just recently got the bike. And I think the rest of his statement means he hasn't done any work on it, so he was surprised to have the caliper come loose. He (anybody) really needs to check to see what other things the previous owner might have left loose, or halfway disconnected.

As far as spidey senses go, I think they kicked in just fine - at the last moment, just like in the movies. The real Peter Parker would probably stay home in bed if he knew, before he left the house, when he was going to get clobbered by some super-villain.

The only extra item in my tool kit is a $20 bill in a baggie. I consider my cards as part of my roadside repair kit (have not had to do that). But twice in the past year I found myself at my destination wanting to pick up an Rx at the pharmacy or get a drink along the road only to discover that I had left the wallet back at home. :D

Wildcat_drvr

Great-Grandpaw!
Reaction score
Visit site
Original Tool kit with wrenches replaced with higher quality units.Small adjustable wrench,small bottle of loctite,zip ties,heat-shrink tubing,tire plug kit,6 inch machinist rule,12" of mechanics wire,18 inches insulated wire,figure 9 carabiner,Parachute cord,mechanical pencil,tire gauge,rags,duct tape,plastic banding material with spring steel clip(Fixed 1.5" cut in radiator hose with duct tape and banding)strips of solder with flux in it,melts with lighter,Got at Radio Shack many years ago, 3 $10.00 bills in zip-lock bag,compass in one coat pocket with compact led flashlight in other,Oh and a Bic lighter.
I think that's all.Sounds like a lot but fits under seat with owners manual!
:cool:
Rich

Last edited:

52pickup

Reaction score
Visit site
The bike is used and I've done only the basic things like oil, tire pressure, lube chain, cleaning...etc. I probably do need a few tools so i can go over the bike. I am really happy hearing the advice roll in. Its interesting from my point of view since I only started riding this spring. There is a lot to learn that's not in the MSC handbook. I don't really disagree about my spidy senses being a bit lame...probably more like dumb luck. Blah. Thanks to all I'll keep learning and riding.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
I would make sure and loctite every bolt you can get to just for safe measure, every one on the calipers, rotors, axles, the bars, the fork clamps, EVERYTHING.

On any trip longer then an hour or anywhere outside my normal range: I keep the Yamaha tool kit plus a pair of vise grips (you have no idea how helpful they are, ive used them as a clutch lever before) I like 550 cord, and always a lighter (bic or zippo) at least 1 bottle of water and my phone charger. If I am within my normal range it is not too much of an inconvenience to call someone for a helping hand (which I did tonight when I went deer hunting)