'07 FZ6 Output Shaft Oil Seal Leak

SlowNSteady

Reaction score
Visit site
I searched and didn't find any info specific to the issue I'm having. I just picked up an '07 FZ6 with 9.8k miles, mostly stock with the original chain and sprockets. I bought the bike with the disclosure of an oil leak from the seal behind the front sprocket. I ordered replacement parts from a local Yamaha dealer and expect to have the parts by the end of the day or tomorrow. I'll post pics and update this thread as things progress in case anyone else runs into the same issue.

Links with info regarding the fix:

Oil seal leak : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

Side cover area oil leak synopsis - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums

oil seal puller:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-58430-Shaft-Type-Puller/dp/B000FPYW4K]Lisle 58430 Shaft Type Seal Puller : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would grab an old paint brush and and some paint thinner; with the cover off (like below), clean the chain oil build up off the case and clean the area behind the sprocket as best possible and observe.

We had one case where the chain had come off, tore up the block, someone FILLED THE DAMAGED ARE WITH EPOXY and sold it. Over time it was leaking through the filler.

Clean it and good a good look at it. As mentioned, the cover just above it would be highly suspect too!

This is from last year, but the poor thin needs cleaned!
51847d1390680863-front-sprocket-nut-question-dsc_6401-sprocket-.web.jpg

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As noted, that output shaft seal rarely leaks (i've never heard of one lek on this forum in several years).

It sounds as thou you have the proper tool coming, did your research and that seal should pop out much of an issue. (The manual does call for a small amount of oil on the inner lip)

The shifter cover above it, (pic is for an 06) does have a flat gasket under it:

Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2006 FZ-6 - FZS6V CRANKCASE COVER 1 Diagram

Good luck with the fix.

Double click on the pic to enlarge it..

Last edited:

SlowNSteady

Reaction score
Visit site

SlowNSteady

Reaction score
Visit site
I would grab an old paint brush and and some paint thinner; with the cover off (like below), clean the chain oil build up off the case and clean the area behind the sprocket as best possible and observe.

We had one case where the chain had come off, tore up the block, someone FILLED THE DAMAGED ARE WITH EPOXY and sold it. Over time it was leaking through the filler.

Clean it and good a good look at it. As mentioned, the cover just above it would be highly suspect too!

This is from last year, but the poor thin needs cleaned!
51847d1390680863-front-sprocket-nut-question-dsc_6401-sprocket-.web.jpg

Thanks for the input. I cleaned the area and didn't find anything other than the oil leak at the shaft seal. That thread about the JB Weld case scared me for a bit. Thankfully this leak doesn't appear to be the same.

SlowNSteady

Reaction score
Visit site
As noted, that output shaft seal rarely leaks (i've never heard of one lek on this forum in several years).

It sounds as thou you have the proper tool coming, did your research and that seal should pop out much of an issue. (The manual does call for a small amount of oil on the inner lip)

The shifter cover above it, (pic is for an 06) does have a flat gasket under it:

Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2006 FZ-6 - FZS6V CRANKCASE COVER 1 Diagram

Good luck with the fix.

Double click on the pic to enlarge it..

Thanks. I didn't find anything online about this seal leaking specific to the FZ6 either. I did however find this thread w/R6 owners: Oil seal leak : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

SlowNSteady

Reaction score
Visit site
The dealer didn't have my order ready today... I'm hoping to get it tomorrow. I'll post progress pics by the end of the weekend. Thanks everyone

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, sir, looks like you have a leak!! You might get some 2500 grit emery cloth on hand too. That collar the seal rides on may have a bur or rust on it so you'll want to polish it and grease it before it goes back.

I'm not sure what your skills are, so forgive me if your master mechanic! anyways, if the collar the seal rides on (# 18) just pulls out so you should be able to inspect it now. The reason, I've seen them LEAK FROM BETWEEN THE SPLINES and the COLLAR. Keep that in mind as you may need to apply some sealant inside there.

As far as getting the seal out, an option is a sharp center punch poking a hole in the seal by the edge BEING VERY CAREFUL NOT TO HIT THE BEARING INSIDE! Then thread a blunt screw into the hole and use a pair of side cutters on their side to pry it out.
Obviously Use a punch and screw combo you own and you're set!

Collar - # 18 From: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/50116-2007-fz6-parts-reference-diagram-images-x46.html
transmission.gif

SlowNSteady

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, sir, looks like you have a leak!! You might get some 2500 grit emery cloth on hand too. That collar the seal rides on may have a bur or rust on it so you'll want to polish it and grease it before it goes back.

I'm not sure what your skills are, so forgive me if your master mechanic! anyways, if the collar the seal rides on (# 18) just pulls out so you should be able to inspect it now. The reason, I've seen them LEAK FROM BETWEEN THE SPLINES and the COLLAR. Keep that in mind as you may need to apply some sealant inside there.

As far as getting the seal out, an option is a sharp center punch poking a hole in the seal by the edge BEING VERY CAREFUL NOT TO HIT THE BEARING INSIDE! Then thread a blunt screw into the hole and use a pair of side cutters on their side to pry it out.
Obviously Use a punch and screw combo you own and you're set!

Collar - # 18 From: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/50116-2007-fz6-parts-reference-diagram-images-x46.html
transmission.gif

Wow thanks for all the input and your time with this - appreciate it. My skills are limited to repairs I've encountered when repairing crash damage from track bikes. I have basic wrenching and fabricating skills though am by no means a pro at any of this.

Have any tips on how to pull the collar without marring the surface or causing any undue damage?

I have a couple sets of punches and a center punch. I like that idea, but if I'm able to pull the collar wouldn't the center of the oil seal be exposed so that an oil seal puller can be used to yank the seal out? If I can't get the collar off I'll use the punch/screw method for sure.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow thanks for all the input and your time with this - appreciate it. My skills are limited to repairs I've encountered when repairing crash damage from track bikes. I have basic wrenching and fabricating skills though am by no means a pro at any of this.

Have any tips on how to pull the collar without marring the surface or causing any undue damage?

I have a couple sets of punches and a center punch. I like that idea, but if I'm able to pull the collar wouldn't the center of the oil seal be exposed so that an oil seal puller can be used to yank the seal out? If I can't get the collar off I'll use the punch/screw method for sure.

That collar should just pull off. If it's damaged at all, I would replace it. The small SS spring on the bad seal most likely broke...

You can also drill a small hole in the metal seal(making sure, as posted above) you don't go too far and catch the bearing. Insert a sheet metal screw into the hole and either use a vise grip, or a screwdriver off to the side for leverage and just yank it out. that seal MIGHT be .030", you just need a small hole to get a screw started. Your NOT drilling an aluminum case with lots of filings. An 1/8" drill but is plenty, just enough for a screw to grab.

Beating on a seal that may stike up against the cage (that holds the bearings), can be a major disaster, broken output bearing shaft cage = major failure /split case, etc..

BTW, I do like the tool you ordered, please post how well it works..

They've used this method for input, drive shafts on Yamaha lower unit outboards for years, AND the seal is considerably smaller.. No filings have fallen in the unit as again, the seal is so thin, is made of steel, the cuttings come out with the bit.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

No worries! - As you can see, the collars outer section next to sprocket need not be perfect. If twisting it by hand doesn't remove it, throw some tape inside of some pliers and give it twist with them.

Yes, a seal puller works but not everyone has one. I have rocker type and hook type meant to be used with a hammer. Either will work.
However, the punch right to the edge works well too.
If this were a cast iron or cast steel, a punch right into the matting section of the seal and case "deflates the perimeter" crushing it inwards. Works like a charm too.

I just don't like the drilling as its hard to really flush the debris anywhere BUT INSIDE THE CASE = FAIL IMO! If the punch is right on the edge AND you go too far, hopefully you just hit the outer race.

Good Luck!

SlowNSteady

Reaction score
Visit site
Dealer said my order was received from the Yamaha warehouse without the oil seal... screwed for now. Dealer said expect the part to be available by Wednesday. I'll post updates when possible.

SlowNSteady

Reaction score
Visit site
Received the parts from the dealer and replaced the seal without any trouble.

Removing the seal: I wasn't able to pull the collar so I wasn't able to use the seal puller tool. Instead I used a center punch, small drill bit, and screwed in a shallow screw and pulled the seal out.

Installing new seal: I lubed the center area of the new seal with synthetic grease and used a soft faced mallet to set the seal in place, and seated the seal by driving it in with a section of 2" ABS pipe and a dead blow hammer.

No issues thus far, leak appears to be resolved. I'll still be keeping an eye on the area in case the seal begins to weep/leak again. Thanks again for all the help!

SlowNSteady

Reaction score
Visit site
Great job!

Glad the drill and screw worked for you. I've seen it done before on much smalled seals.

Enjoy the ride!!!:thumbup:

Thanks! This bike has been great so far. Completely satisfied with every aspect of the bike and am very appreciative of the forum as a resource.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Received the parts from the dealer and replaced the seal without any trouble.

Removing the seal: I wasn't able to pull the collar so I wasn't able to use the seal puller tool. Instead I used a center punch, small drill bit, and screwed in a shallow screw and pulled the seal out.

Installing new seal: I lubed the center area of the new seal with synthetic grease and used a soft faced mallet to set the seal in place, and seated the seal by driving it in with a section of 2" ABS pipe and a dead blow hammer.

No issues thus far, leak appears to be resolved. I'll still be keeping an eye on the area in case the seal begins to weep/leak again. Thanks again for all the help!

Did you see anything wrong with the old seal or the collar it rode on? Any obvious reason why it leaked? Lips folded, rust, tensioner spring off?

Good Job and glad its resolved!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Good job! :rockon: I may replace my seal as well.
I have what I believe is a clutch push rod seal leak on my SV1000s There's a hydraulic secondary cylinder that pushed the rod through a seal on the outside case of the engine. The unfortunate part is this bare rod sits right in front of my drive sprocket which over years flings lube and dirt on the clutch push rod which then ruins the seal. I have to pull the drive sprocket to remove the metal retainer that holds the clutch rod seal. Since I'm right there I think it's a good idea to put a new output shaft seal on cuz it'll be right in front of me. :)

SlowNSteady

Reaction score
Visit site
Did you see anything wrong with the old seal or the collar it rode on? Any obvious reason why it leaked? Lips folded, rust, tensioner spring off?

Good Job and glad its resolved!

According to the previous owner, some debris got caught around the front sprocket/output shaft and abraded the seal, eventually causing the leak. You can see the first pics I posted of the original seal showing bare metal, whereas the new seal has an out rubber coating.

SlowNSteady

Reaction score
Visit site
Good job! :rockon: I may replace my seal as well.
I have what I believe is a clutch push rod seal leak on my SV1000s There's a hydraulic secondary cylinder that pushed the rod through a seal on the outside case of the engine. The unfortunate part is this bare rod sits right in front of my drive sprocket which over years flings lube and dirt on the clutch push rod which then ruins the seal. I have to pull the drive sprocket to remove the metal retainer that holds the clutch rod seal. Since I'm right there I think it's a good idea to put a new output shaft seal on cuz it'll be right in front of me. :)

Ha! I'm familiar with that exact issue as I used to own an '07 SV1000S. I used to pull the cover and clean the push rod every oil change. Sounds like it might be a good idea to replace both seals while you're in there. Good luck :thumbup: